Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Yak fishing off Cardiff

Last weekend I took my Revolution out off of Cardiff to test the sail accessory that a friend loaned me. The sail worked great, even in very light wind. I peddled and sailed around the kelp beds from restaurant row to Swami's. The kelp beds looked very healthy and I bet they are holding a lot of fish. There were several party boats and a couple privates out there but no yak-fishers.

This area looks like it might be a fun place to fish. The access is easy as long as the surf is not too big. Early in the morning there are plenty of parking spaces available.

Does anyone have experience fishing this area? I suspect that it is calico country but who knows. Can someone please educate me.

What tackle should be used? Can you make bait in this area? What works best bait or lures? Which lures?

Please fill me in.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
fishdude

That is where it all started for me 8 years ago. First fish,calico, caught in a kayak, I was hooked. Very good calico and plenty of others. Krocodiles, fish traps are killers there and dont be afraid to throw iron on the kelp edges.
You can make bait in that area as well.

Good luck
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Billy V

Its a good spot. I have a buddy that lives in the area, and fishes there on his boat, and kayak.

The tackle mentioned will work well.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Might also try 2"-3" gulp shrimp with a lead head.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

6/27 Cardiff Fishing Results

Well, I got to the beach at resturant row around 7:30. There was plenty of parking in the Charlies parking lot, (Charlies is closed until further notice). The surf was small and I made it out with ony a couple of waves bouncing off of my chest.

Once outside the surf line, I switched to peddle power and quickly made it to the kelp. It was calm and I was the only one there. It was a beautiful, quiet June Gloom morning.

I decided to just try lures this trip and did not attempt to make bait. I am not very good using plastics and my rookiness showed. I tried everything but failed to coax even a small callico out of the kelp. My newest lure was one of those strange looking MC Slugs. I guess I wasn't presenting it correctly because it drew no action. Maybe someone could start a thread on how to fish with this lure.

I also tried scampi and various swim baits with no success. Finally I switched to a crockadile and had a little fun. Basically, I just trolled the lure next to the kelp and picked up about a dozen small fish. They were mostly Barricuda but once when I let the lure fall to the bottom, I picked up a little Halibut.

I am certain that once I learn how to fish this place, it will become one of my favorite spots. The easy access and nearby location are major plusses.

After a few hours, I realized that it was still a work day and figured I should head in. With the small surf, I thought for a minute about not stowing my rods but better judgement won out. I peddled to the surf line, put everything away and switched to paddle power.

Just then, a big set came in. Fortunately, I was far enough out to keep from getting crunched. When the next lull came, I paddled as hard as could and made it to the shallows. The bad news is that the place I chose to land was in the middle a big rip. All of a sudden, I was in a washing machine with waves coming at me from all directions. Somehow, I got turned around and was getting pushed in stern first by a bunch of small waves.

Hobies are not designed to surf backwards so, you guessed it, I flipped over in two feet of water. Had I kept my rods in the Crate Mate, I am sure that they would have been snapped in two.

It was a fun morning. I will do it again soon.

Bob
Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Billy V

Before your next trip out there pick up a small bottle of Uni-Butter.
-Apply this to your plastics before casting into the kelp channel, or along the kelp line. Place it in the sun so it gets warm.

I use an old pill bottle filled about 1/4 of the way, and dunk the plastic inside after every 3-5 casts. I have also use a flux brush to brush it on (if I want to get fancy)
-You can also use a small plastic sandwich bag, and simply re-dunk your plastic into that and smear it on every few casts.

Fish like to bite things coated with the stuff.

You may also want to pick up a couple of cans of (fishy type) cat food to chum the water before casting. Walmat has Friskies for 62 cents a can.

Those cattle boats are always chumming as they back into the kelp.
-Catch a Big One-

PS.
Good thinking on the rod/reel storage. I've been on my head enough to simply expect a crash landing most of the time.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Bob,

It is a all a crap shoot coming in.
I've rolled my old prism in 1' surf, shp.

Great report!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
mars

Don't forget the halibut, WSB and YTs that sometime frequent the area. I've seen (and had the pleasure of gaffing) a 40# halibut taken out of the kelp a few years back. I've also seen an occasional YT, WSB (caught many WSB there but never legal, though I've seen some 40# class speared there before). You can also find Mr T around that area as well.

And in case you don't know, you'll get a ticket if you park in the Cardiff lot without a pass (get the pass at the campgrounds).

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Cardiff Parking

Thanks to the current recession that our government probably caused and refuses to acknowledge, Charlies restaurant next to the State lot has closed its doors. This parking lot is often empty in the morning and as far as I can tell anyone can park there. That what I have been doing.

Bob