Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Gr8fuldude

[QUOTE=Dannowar;291073]if you go to Mexico, you will die.

Actually, this is true, Danny, if you go to Mexico you WILL die. It's also true that you will die if you don't go to Mexico. The only question is, what will you do with your life while you have it to live?

Personally, I try to think about risks logically. Your % chances of being killed in Mexico are not zero, but they are as statistically close to zero as to be meaningless. The only way to have a zero chance of not being killed outside your home is to never leave your home.

I believe that life is to be lived. The biggest tragedies aren't just homicides (as rare as they are), but also include living in paralyzing fear of improbable events.

Having said that, if you are afraid to go to Mexico, then you shouldn't go. It's unlikely you will die there, but you will be so afraid the entire time that you won't have fun.

Then again, don't listen to me, I'm probably nuts. I've been known to cross five miles of mexican ocean in a piece of plastic so that I can camp out solo on a deserted island
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
[QUOTE=Gr8fuldude;291116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
if you go to Mexico, you will die.

Actually, this is true, Danny, if you go to Mexico you WILL die. It's also true that you will die if you don't go to Mexico. The only question is, what will you do with your life while you have it to live?

Personally, I try to think about risks logically. Your % chances of being killed in Mexico are not zero, but they are as statistically close to zero as to be meaningless. The only way to have a zero chance of not being killed outside your home is to never leave your home.

I believe that life is to be lived. The biggest tragedies aren't just homicides (as rare as they are), but also include living in paralyzing fear of improbable events.

Having said that, if you are afraid to go to Mexico, then you shouldn't go. It's unlikely you will die there, but you will be so afraid the entire time that you won't have fun.

Then again, don't listen to me, I'm probably nuts. I've been known to cross five miles of mexican ocean in a piece of plastic so that I can camp out solo on a deserted island
Love the life you live, and live the life you love. Survivors are not enjoying life, they just take up space. Get out there and LIVE. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Gr8fuldude

[QUOTE=makobob;291118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post

Love the life you live, and live the life you love. Survivors are not enjoying life, they just take up space. Get out there and LIVE. Tight Lines amigos.
Roberto, you inspire me, brother.

Paul
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

[QUOTE=Gr8fuldude;291119]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post

Roberto, you inspire me, brother.

Paul
GOOD, I like to sea inspired people.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Edwardduran117

Have some family that lives in Ensenada and enough housing space for a couple people.. have been there many times with no issues as long as you stick to yourself and be precautious if your surroundings I’ve had no problems. Actually wanted to plan a kayaking trip out of Punta Banda this summer. Beautiful coastline around La Bufadora! there and have seen some reports that there are Ling’s and yellows out there!
Edwardduran117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
CON KSO

Hey Think4WD,

Go for it man - Baja is awesome!

I go down there all the time, many times by myself either in my truck or on my moto.

I'd say the most dangerous part of the whole thing is driving on the road - not cartel violence.

Really if you're gonna get killed in Baja it will most likely be by a drunk driver and not from the cartel.

It's funny being scared of Baja seems to be more of an American citizen type of thing because God knows that place is swamped with Canadians. They're ooot and abooooot that's for sure.

Go for it man!
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
CON KSO

[QUOTE=makobob;291118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post

Bob, I know where there are LOTS of corvina... and they eat tan and white clousers like they are going out of style. They may not be to 10lbs but there are a lot of them - pm me some time for double hush hush corvina spot.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Baja_Traveler

[QUOTE=CON KSO;291154]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post

Bob, I know where there are LOTS of corvina... and they eat tan and white clousers like they are going out of style. They may not be to 10lbs but there are a lot of them - pm me some time for double hush hush corvina spot.
I know that spot! Its on my bucket list to get down to - just a few miles from where I just was...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
CON KSO

[QUOTE=Baja_Traveler;291156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post

I know that spot! Its on my bucket list to get down to - just a few miles from where I just was...
shshsshshshshshshsshsh super double hush hush!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

[QUOTE=CON KSO;291180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post

shshsshshshshshshsshsh super double hush hush!
WHAT species of corvina amigo?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #11
CON KSO

[QUOTE=makobob;291189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post

WHAT species of corvina amigo?
Not sure - but they're the type that make DEELICIOUS ceviche!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Mahigeer

FYI

It is best to avoid these days due to races in Baja.

April 5-8
May 30-June 3
Sept 19-23
Nov 14-18

I was lucky last time that we were on the opposing road of the Baja 1000.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #13
Bigal
Junior

Boarding in Mammoth and Fishing Gonzaga

I'm headed down to Gonzaga for second half of Spring Break. Three guys and two trucks for a short adventure. Camping and yak fishing from 3/28-3/31. (Going to get some snow for first half of the break!) You could caravan or I bet my buddy in second truck would share the ride.
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal View Post
I'm headed down to Gonzaga for second half of Spring Break. Three guys and two trucks for a short adventure. Camping and yak fishing from 3/28-3/31. (Going to get some snow for first half of the break!) You could caravan or I bet my buddy in second truck would share the ride.
I cant get down until mid April, have fun.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
calwaterbear
Junior

headed down next saturday. First time in Baja Norte - usually fly south. Bity of a mixed bag fishing, gunna do some stream fishin g tryin g to catch an endemic trout, after that, headed to La Bocana, for a day each of Kayak, shore / surf, and panga fishing.

then on the way back, a final day (30th of march) with a big super panga heading out of Gonzaga bay - Papa fernandez,.

If anyone is interested, we can put another guy or 2 on the panga , but we are interested in fishing - not drinking. And we have a good long term relationship with the panga owner, "ugly american attitudes" are not appreciated or tolerated.
calwaterbear is offline   Reply With Quote