Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Fishing Outside of NewPort Harbor - Tips On How To Do It

I was thinking of getting some live bait at the barge and going outside the harbor entrance and do some fishing. Can you guys please share some tips on what is my best bet to catch something? Would I use a 3 oz sinker and fish near the bottom? How far out or deep should I be? Looks like a nice weather for the weekend so I would like to take advantage and venture out a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help

David.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
ROSSOLY

Outside of the harbor I only fished the scare kelp beds off CDM using plastics for calicos. When the bones are around, they can be had at the mouth by the buoy. To drop down, I think you need a FF.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Edwardduran117

I went outside the harbor for the first time on Easter. Was a few 100 yards away from the buoy and caught some rockfish. Don't have a fish finder or any fancy stuff but it's pretty deep there I used a 6 oz weight and got to the bottom pretty quick. Probably heading out this weekend as well either tomorrow or Sunday!
Edwardduran117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
goldenglory18

How are the water conditions out there? I'm still looking to find a somewhat calm starter area to get myself out of the bays.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
OCPhisher

With no fishfinder that's a sound strategy. Just head out past the buoy (100 yds or more) drop a line and drift. If no nibbles then reset your drift but go out 50 yds further (deeper).

I'd make sure to have up to 8 or 10 oz sinkers with you too just in case current is ripping. But I'm typically using 4 to 8 oz.

I seem to get more bites south of the harbor opening too.

I've never used live bait (mostly gulp mullets and squid strips for bottomfishing) but last year I know some folks were catching nice sized lings on live bait. I've tried pinning a lizard fish (bycatch) on a hook and sending down but haven't caught anything exciting yet.

You can also troll live bait inside the harbor. I know of some decent sized halibut caught doing that. But you'll have to contend with the sea lions.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
OCPhisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Edwardduran117

The bay is not bad at all but once you leave the jetties boat traffic causes most the problem. Water is pretty calm until a few boaters pass by
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPhisher View Post
With no fishfinder that's a sound strategy. Just head out past the buoy (100 yds or more) drop a line and drift. If no nibbles then reset your drift but go out 50 yds further (deeper).

I'd make sure to have up to 8 or 10 oz sinkers with you too just in case current is ripping. But I'm typically using 4 to 8 oz.

I seem to get more bites south of the harbor opening too.

I've never used live bait (mostly gulp mullets and squid strips for bottomfishing) but last year I know some folks were catching nice sized lings on live bait. I've tried pinning a lizard fish (bycatch) on a hook and sending down but haven't caught anything exciting yet.

You can also troll live bait inside the harbor. I know of some decent sized halibut caught doing that. But you'll have to contend with the sea lions.

Good luck!

If you go far enough you'll be fishing >360ft for rockfish. I hear the deeper the tastier.

If you don't have a fishfinder, at least be familiar with the area you are fishing. You can be in the canyon less than a mile from the mouth of the harbor and be illegally fishing for rockfish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (128.4 KB, 349 views)
jruiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
OCPhisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
If you go far enough you'll be fishing >360ft for rockfish. I hear the deeper the tastier.

If you don't have a fishfinder, at least be familiar with the area you are fishing. You can be in the canyon less than a mile from the mouth of the harbor and be illegally fishing for rockfish.
Excellent point. Thanks for posting that. I've got FF and haven't ventured further out than getting to around 290 ft or so.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Edwardduran117

Thanks for the info!! I'm trying to target lingcod next time I go out do you guys know any specific spots to land on them?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
DPevin

Check the surf report before you go. There is suppose to be some swell this weekend. But it might miss newport.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
finyak

Hookup baits!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
ore714

game plan

I was planning on going out on Sunday morning and doing the same thing. it will be my first time. Last time I fished Newport Harbor I asked a guy that was going outside the harbor on what to look for when fishing for rock fish. Basically he said head out the harbor until you hit 180 to 200 feet of water and look for rock piles on the fish finder then start fishing those areas and maybe a littler deeper. My game plan is to try and make a little bait at the harbor mouth and then head out into deeper water and look for spots to fish for rock fish then maybe hit the Corona Del Mar kelp beds if I have time on the way back. Just for fun I will probably troll a mack on way out and back who knows I might get lucky!

If you are fishing deep definitely use 8 to 10 ounces of lead and strips of squid is probably the best bait rock fish,

good luck!
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
hilarioushilari0
Junior

Looks like there will be a few of us out there this Sunday. Where is everyone launching from?
hilarioushilari0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
OCPhisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarioushilari0 View Post
Looks like there will be a few of us out there this Sunday. Where is everyone launching from?
I usually launch from the Coast Guard station. On weekends you're allowed to park on both sides of the parking lot, but it fills up pretty quickly. I've gotten there around 7-7:30 and the lot was already full. I believe you're allowed to park there as early as 6 am, but don't leave your car there any earlier than posted time. I know people have been ticketed.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
ore714

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPhisher View Post
I usually launch from the Coast Guard station. On weekends you're allowed to park on both sides of the parking lot, but it fills up pretty quickly. I've gotten there around 7-7:30 and the lot was already full. I believe you're allowed to park there as early as 6 am, but don't leave your car there any earlier than posted time. I know people have been ticketed.
I didn't know there were certain time you could park there only not to park on the station side thanks for in the info. I will probably be launching on the other side of the harbor from a small beach "KID BEACH" on balboa peninsula where the last public dock is before the wedge. Usually pretty easy to find a close parking spot in you get there early but there isn't much since its street parking. A little easier to get in the water here since it very close to street but minimal parking and no bathrooms.
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
Amish Ed

They will cite you. I know from experience. Launched at 5:30 and came back to a hefty fine.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
Orca Winfrey

Kid's beach is a nice quick launch. Never had trouble finding parking if I get there before 8. If you do have to park too far away, no one seems to mind if you pull up to the red zone to load and unload.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
jruiz
Large Member

Most important advice I can give is to never under any circumstance call it "the newps."
jruiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #19
parkermann

Can you park on the street outside the coast guard station before 6 am? As far as I remember you can park there but I don't remember if there is a sign that says parking between set hours. I've never had to park outside the station
parkermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
OCPhisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermann View Post
Can you park on the street outside the coast guard station before 6 am? As far as I remember you can park there but I don't remember if there is a sign that says parking between set hours. I've never had to park outside the station
I think you're allowed to park on street before 6 am. I was just there today. Got in right around 6 am. I didn't see any signs posted saying you couldn't, and there were cars already parked (on street).