Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
OCPhisher

DP 06-04

My son and I fished Dana Point this morning from 7am - 1 pm. Overcast pretty much all day. No wind and water conditions super calm. Water stayed around 64 degrees. 64.5 by the time we got off around 1 pm.

Tried for halibut today. Barge only had sardines and they were huge --like 8-9 inches. Trolled from Doheny to Capistrano Beach and back. No GWS spotted, and no halibut caught. I had a bunch of baits raked, but my son hooked into two leopard sharks. Neither of us have ever hooked into anything that big yet so he was really stoked (and I for him). Both eventually broke off as we were fishing 20# leaders.

The stoke is real.
Attached Images

OCPhisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I fished the same area in the afternoon till 5:00 and had similar results as you. I use 30# with circle hooks and usually get my hook back on release. Your kids smile is what it's all about. Thanks for the report
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
jbl_91762

No wonder I didn't see you guys at CDM, but glad you caught something. I took my son kayak fishing for first time and we had a blast as well. Great that you boy loves fishing as my boy really don't have the patience for it lol but says he may go again.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_9C1

Leopard sharks are great fun. Glad your son got some.
I was on Capistrano Beach on Saturday afternoon and got one. Also hooked into a thresher shark, which jumped out of the water and quickly bit thru my line. So there is more out there than GWS.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote