Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Mahigeer

San Jose del Cabo 6/1-6/2018. Non-kayak. Loooong w/pic.

Once in a lifetime an opportunity comes along that it is impossible to ignore.

I received an Email from a fishing buddy [herewith be known as Gracious Host (GH)].

It read;
“I have two tickets for first class seats on Alaska Airline along with reservation of a two-bedroom condo, a rental car and three days of boat fishing. My wife decided not to go, so if you want to share the boat, food and a small fee for name change on the plane ticket, you can join me. I am going, so no pressure if you cannot make it.”

Wowwwwwww.
Right away I read the Email to my wife to avoid the hassle of coming up with a scheme. Wouldn’t you know it, to my delight…she said go. Fantastiiiiiiic.

After month and a half and many Emails, we were on the plane. Funny how time stood still for the day of departure to arrive, yet it made up for it during the trip!! zummmmmmmmmmmm

Thus, below is my report.
As in the previous reports, it is more than a “look at what I caught” report and more of a come share the adventure with me post. If you like me and have never been there before, I hope this report will help make your trip better.

I have also included some tips posted in color red.

FISHING SAN JOSE DEL CABO 6/1-6/2018

Friday June 1, 2018

I picked up GH at 5:00 AM at his residence and drove to the San Diego International Airport.
I left GH with the luggage and fishing gear at the airport.
Then took the car to off-airport parking to save money. It was $9.95/day compare to $32.00/day at the airport.
They had shuttle to the airport terminal every 15 minutes.

Checking in and finding the seat on the plane was easy since ---ahumm; we were the first class passengers. We even boarded and deplaned first.

Alaska Airline allows two fishing rods, two reels and a small tackle box as one item for check-in.
We used rod tubes with more rods and had the reels in the carry-on cases. We also checked in a small tackle box.
I made sure no hooks, sinkers or knives were in the carry-on luggage.

1-Sitting in the first class section of Alaska Airlines, enjoying adult beverages and anxious to get to our destination.

We were served adults drinks to our delight and an egg breakfast (so, so quality) during the two-hour flight.

After getting our gear and luggage, we both got green light so no secondary inspection at the customs.

Note: My friend has been hassled in the past for bringing more than (4) four fishing rods to Mexico. It is mentioned on the custom’s form.
We had no issues since we did not get the red light for secondary inspection.

we walked to the area where rental car shuttles were parked.

When the automatic doors opened and we felt the outside air, it was as we were entering an oven. Hot, hot.

The reality hit. We are in Cabo.

During the trip the weather was hot during the days, and very pleasant at night. We took plenty of water to drink on the boat and I had my evaporative vest and neck towel on all the time.
I did get a lot of sun tan, but with a wide brim hat, no heat stroke. I also did not get sea sick which was a great news to everyone.

2-The rental car shuttle is packed with our gear to take us to their office.

Once we had our rental SUV, we drove to the condo and unpacked.

Our complex was gated with 24H security patrolling the yards.

Due to off-season, there were very few guests in the complex. The condo rat at $155.00 a night was unbelievable.

3-This was our balcony at the condominium………

4-………and this was the view from our balcony of the condominium.

5-There was a fully furnished kitchen with the ever important blender. Lots of adult beverages were made using it.

6-This was at our complex. Fortunately, we saw a few on the water, but was not bothered with them.

A trip to a nearby grocery store and then we setup our rods and went to dinner at a Restaurant called La Lupita.
I wanted to try their Taco Al Pastor and liked what they offered. GH loved the shrimp ceviche there.

I took with me many newly purchased and lures that I already had for big fish; especially wahoo.
Made some single stranded wire leaders too. Cabo fish like expensive lures.
I even made some sinker units with wire for speed trolling for wahoo, but they were not around.
We did use one to give us different depth of trolling. I left them with Captain to use and also reduce my going home load.

However, all we needed was 14 pesos ($0.75) circle hook for live bait!

In the past trips GH had great luck with pink flatfall, but not this time. It was not for lack of trying, the fish just were not interested this time.

My attempt with some lures went unanswered. Too much current to get the lures down.

Saturday June 2, 2018

We were at the marina around 6:30 AM. We would always be back to the marina close to 1:00 PM.

We met Eric, owner of Gordo Banks Pangas and Benito our captain for the duration.

7-This was the Marina in San Jose del Cabo, where we boarded our fishing charter boat.

8-Our boat for the duration; a 26 ft. Parker, with plenty of room for two to fish.
It was captained by Mr. Benito of the Gordo Banks Pangas operation.

9-“Find a niche and fulfill it” ------ This fellow had made this cart to transport gear from boat to the parking and vice versa for tips.

About tips---Although I had taken with me some pesos, I was told that it is better to tip in American Dollars.
Thus, plenty of small bills would fit the bill.

10-Every time before leaving for the fishing grounds, we would buy live bait from the several fisherman touring the area and selling bait.
Mostly bait fish they called “Sardinia” with one black dot and wider body than regular sardine.

If you look closely, you can see the modified racquetball racket used as net!

11-During two of the three days of fishing we were asked for our fishing licenses.

There was a lady with a laptop at the marina who would issue (sell) fishing licenses if needed. We both had yearly licenses already.
In Mexico every passenger of the fishing vessel must have fishing license. Whether they fish or not!

12-Each outing would start at down. It was an hour or so ride to the fishing grounds.

13-One of the many houses that were in the very remote area by the sea. Many were expensive looking.

14-We would also buy bigger bait from another fisherman for marlin and such. ID please. Thanks.

While on the way to the tuna hangouts, we saw many jumping bat rays. Mostly small and jumping high out of the water. We also saw a turtle.

15-One of the two female dorado that I C&R due to size.

Side note:
Captain Benito worked very hard to put us on fish.
He tied our leaders and hooks to be sure we don’t lose fish due to knot failure.
His head was like a swivel. While putting on live bait, he was scanning the water all the time.
He would make a short cast with live bait, then put the rod in the holder. Then he would grab the line from the rod tip and pull a lot of line fast.
This would allow the live bait move away from the boat freely.

All the while the clicker was on. That kept the free spools from over spinning and causing backlash.

The GH was the first to hook a marlin.

https://youtu.be/iaNMh-YmbA4 fish jumping at 0:06
https://youtu.be/Yper3HGxj64

16-My host hooked and fought some big fish, but he lost them to the rocks.

17-He also caught this grouper for the captain. As well as bigger ones for us.

Within about fifteen minutes of my live bait hitting the water I had my first ever yellowfin tuna hooked.
The left hand reel with two speed function made it less than very hard work to land the fish.

Everybody was happy for me.

18-The yellowfin tunas hit my rig while the groupers (Cabrillo) hit my GH’s bait.

19-The fish were fillet expertly by the locals for a tip and then wet took them to Cabo San Lucas (CSL) for vacuum packing and storage until it was time to go home.
We also shared some with the captain.

20-Nice cleaning stations to use, but its best to let the locals do it for a moderate tip.

For dinner we went to Cabo San Lucas marina to a great restaurant next to water called Solomon’s Landing.
Our first of two times.

21-A Mexican sashimi was made to perfection.

22-Celeberating life at the Salomon’s Landing restaurant. Salute.

The total catch for the day (the best of three days) was:
GH-----Skipjack, pargo, (4) broomtail grouper, rockbass and a striped marlin
Mahigeer------(3) yellowfin tuna (first for me), (1) dorado [Mahi Mahi] and a triggerfish

Sunday June 3, 2018

Today we were at the marina and off to fish at 6:00 AM.

23-Another early trip to the tuna grounds.

While anticipating for tuna again, we instead encountered many needlefish which damaged our leaders and had to have the captain tie new leaders frequently.

After a while captain said we are moving to marlin grounds. About 80 minutes of a drive.

24-Great host and boat captain to go fishing. What could be better.

25-The two red snappers that I caught and we had them prepared at Solomon’s Landing restaurant at two different nights. Delicious.

26-This was the second female Mahi Mahi of the trip. It was released.

After we freshened up at the condo, we took the fillet tuna, grouper and the red snapper to a processor who vacuum packed and kept frozen until pickup for taking home.

27-This was a restaurant called La Lupita. They had a great shrimp ceviche.
I went there for Taco Al Pastor. Pork meat cooked in a Greek style (Gyros) BBQ as taco filling. Salute.

Once home I sat at the balcony and listened to the waves and relaxed. It was rejuvenating.

Monday June 4, 2018

28-On Monday there was no boat fishing scheduled, so it was surf fishing and hanging around the pool in the complex.

29-There were BBQ and other great facilities at the complex.

30-We were at the third floor. Fourth, fifth and sixth arch from the left.

31-I liked this shower and sand washing facility.

I tried some surf fishing.
First I made cast using a top water lure resembling a mullet to attract roosterfish.
However, the surf was wild and long. The lure was always in the wash.
Then I used a large Krocodile lure. It was heavier and went farther, but no takers.
After about two hours it was getting hot, so it was time to hit the pool.

That evening I put out some squid for few hours, but again no takers.

32-Looking SW toward the CSL.

33-Life was good. Salute

For lunch we took some tuna to Solomon’s Landing at the CSL marina.
Had more Mexican sashimi made. Also the red snapper was blackened and it was out of this world.
After lunch we walked around the marina.

33-Some views of the marina at CSL:

34-Saw this pufferfish in the marina along with many other fish.

35-There were several places that the fish would eat the dead skin from your feet. I was told it felt great afterwards.

36-This a tackle shop that was called Minerva’s in CSL.

Once again back to condo for an early start of the last day of fishing.

Tuesday June 5, 2018

As usual I woke up at 4:00 AM to be ready for boat departure of 6:00 AM.

37-The second time that we were checked for our fishing licenses, was by the Mexican Coast Guard.

Now that is enforcement.

We first went for about an hour of drive to our tuna spot, but this time there were no boats around.
Captain then said the water did not look good, so we drove another 80 minutes or so to where the marlins were hanging around.
There were lots of boats there.

We had not seen the bait guys who had large baits, so the captain saw a big ball of bait and started casting Sabiki to get some large bait.
Mostly mackerel.

We put out large bait on three rods.

38-My GH is fighting something good.

39-A shark while trolling for marlin. It was released.

Then one rod went off as captain saw the marlin chase and take the bait. He set the circle hook and gave me the rod.
I had brought my left handed reels, but this day the captain had only setup the right handed reels brought by GH.
I therefore, had to fight the marlin holding the rod with my left hand.

My fighting belt with hooks attached to the reel helped me hold on to the rod.

The fight was on and I finally brought the fish to the boat, where the captain snapped the line and released the fish.

His estimate—140 lbs.

40-My Gracious Host cut the leader of my marlin catch for me to keep as a reminder.

GH was recording and took pictures with his camera, so when I get the footage, I will post it.

We got on the way home around 1:00 PM.

On the way to marina, GH saw what he thought was roosterfish, so we stopped and captain threw out a large live mullet. An immediate commotion on the surface and the fish was hooked. I was given the rod again to land the fish. It was a large Jack Carevalle.

Again GH took pictures and I hope it came out. I will post it when I get it.

After that we headed for the marina and there was the sad end of the fishing outings.

41-After last day of fishing, we had a drink and said farewell to Eric, the owner of Gordo Banks Pangas operation.

Once more we headed to CSL marina for lunch.

42-One of the several guards for protection of a jewelry store in CSL marina area.

43-Lots of police present at the marina as groups of six or more making rounds.

44-The last night of the trip, we had a great meal at a fancy restaurant called Lorenzillo’s.

45-Now that is a catch!

46-My meal was fish stuffed with lobster.

47-My host likes shrimp.

48-Even the bread was fantastic. I can still taste them

49-Salute. The trip was coming to end with lots of great memories.

Once at the condo, we packed everything for the departure next day to go home.
Next day we did not have to get up early. Good thing, since I needed some sleep.

Wednesday June 6, 2018

On the way to CSL to pick up the processed fish to take home, we stopped at another tackle shop.

50-Another tackle shop which the owner has a lot videos on YouTube about surf fishing. This one was on the way to CSL. There is smaller one before the marina at SJDC.

51-Instead of a “T” shirt, as a souvenir, I bought a spinning rod with their logo on it. The rod that I have brought with me had a bad tip.

We checked out of condo by 2:00 PM and headed to the airport. There, we celebrated the trip with some adult beverages and waited to get on board. The plane left at 5:20 PM and by about 8:00 PM (local time) we were in San Diego.

52-Due to time of the day and maybe time of the year, the airport was not too busy. Especially the first class line.

53-Flying home. I missed the opportunity to take picture of the Gonzaga Bay and Punta Bufeo.

My Sentri card and GH’s Global Entry card put us in the fast lane at the customs. With nothing to declare, we got out fast.

After dropping GH at his home and dividing the catch, I drove home. The next several days were spent resting and getting ready for another fishing trip.

This time was a five days stay in Santa Catalina Island. A fishing outing with some friends from north.

That report coming soon.

The end.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 06-25-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Great Post!!!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
Mahigeer

It was truly a paradise in many ways.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
jorluivil

Cabo is an awesome place to visit, can't wait to go back.

I recall walking through the marina in awe. So many of the sportfishing boats that are docked in the marina are in a class of their own, they're the boats that we dream of.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

San Jose del Cabo 6/1-6/2018. None kayak. Loooong w/pic.

Nice report hashem. I’ve been to la lupita so many times I lost count. Tacos and mezcal, great combination. There art work is really cool as well. Sounds like you had a good trip with many fish caught. The bait you had a question on is a big eye scad, (aka) caballito.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

First class trip with Drew Carey👍🏻

Life is good!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #8
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish View Post
First class trip with Drew Carey👍🏻

Life is good!

He does look like him. Don't he. Great guy.

Thanks for the fish ID YakDot.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
MrPukaShell

Very nice glad you had a great time
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Very nice glad you had a great time

Thanks Robert.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
Mahigeer

I received the picture of the jack Cravelle, but not the marline.

If and when I get that one, I will post it. It may have not been recorded properly.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
Dirty Curti

How were the prices at the tackle shops?

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
Mahigeer

Well I did not spend too much time in either place, but they seemed to be comparable with some of the items that I checked.

I bought a spinning rod for about $28.00. #2 circle hook for 14 pesos about $0.75.

The last word is that the marlin recording did not come out.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
Mahigeer

Unfortunately, the video of marlin fight and release has not come out.

1-However, these shots of the fight were sent to me by GH.

I finally got to use my back brace after sitting in my closet for years.

2-Can you see the stress in my face.

I guess I have to settle for my memory of the fight.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
AWESOME post as always Arkadash. Glad to find you too enjoying life. Tight Lines amago.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Mahigeer

Thanks.

I am working on a plan with some friend/s to visit Gonzaga Bay before my car insurance and fishing license expires in October.

If I do, I will have my usual long post.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Thanks.

I am working on a plan with some friend/s to visit Gonzaga Bay before my car insurance and fishing license expires in October.

If I do, I will have my usual long post.
Nice, you are always welcome in camp amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
Valek

Interesting read, familiar places.
Thanks for report.
Valek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
Mahigeer

Glad you liked it.