Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
matthew7!

What fish bites like this?

Had three Mack’s come back like this 45-55ft of water trolling through the noise. All attacked from the bottom around the front of the fish. Pulled mystery fish to about twenty feet before it spit the fish. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Bat Ray?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

I had a bird doing that to a few of my baits yesterday. Baits came back almost looking like halibut rakes, except there was a damn cormorant hanging off the bait lol.

Those teeny tiny scratches look a bit like the calico and spotty bitemarks that are all over my thumb right now. If you were over the kelp, I might put a bet on an overzealous checkerboard.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
FISH11

I would say that based on the small scratches and no deeper cut, it was likely a Calico. Yellowtail will some times take it and make short 2 second run, like I had last week, I waited a little longer but it did not come back to take it. I've had that many times in the last 7 years, It's like they grab it take off and decide they're really not hungry and let go of the bait. The initial hit on the bait crushes it and usually there's very little if any marks on the outside or missing scales. If it had swallowed it, then it likely would be coming home with me, since I use circle hooks. They do not fail to hook set in the corner of the mouth. The good news is that just shows you that the Yellowtail are out there and it's just a matter of time. Tight lines.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
TJones

x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I would say that based on the small scratches and no deeper cut, it was likely a Calico. Yellowtail will some times take it and make short 2 second run, like I had last week, I waited a little longer but it did not come back to take it. I've had that many times in the last 7 years, It's like they grab it take off and decide they're really not hungry and let go of the bait. The initial hit on the bait crushes it and usually there's very little if any marks on the outside or missing scales. If it had swallowed it, then it likely would be coming home with me, since I use circle hooks. They do not fail to hook set in the corner of the mouth. The good news is that just shows you that the Yellowtail are out there and it's just a matter of time. Tight lines.
Calico is my vote. I have had similar situation on many occasions as what you are describing. Next time you catch a yellowtail, take notice of his mouth. Their lips are like a vice-grip. When they nail a bait and drop it, or have it pulled from them, it is very distinct. You will not see any teeth marks. Just what appears as a crushed bait. Yellow's are around, but for whatever reason, seem to be very elusive to a lot of anglers this year. JMO.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
matthew7!

Thank you all. Would it be worth starting a thread about what Mack’s look like after certain fish attack? I have pictures of what barracuda and what seals look like?

matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
Thank you all. Would it be worth starting a thread about what Mack’s look like after certain fish attack? I have pictures of what barracuda and what seals look like?

I like it... I've already lost so much bait to Sea Lions at San Clemente Island in the last month alone lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote