Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
old_rookie

Kayak in the garage - need advice

Kayak mounting

Need some advice since my expertise is software not construction.

I'm creating a pulley lift to store my kayak in the garage. I have added 2x4s using lag screws between the joists and rafters for added support. I then bolted on eye bolts 3/8" x 8". When I tested lifting 50 lbs the bolt was bending more than I expected. So I got some 1/2" x 6" eye bolts and noticed the warning: not for overhead loads. But it is rated for 300lbs. I have two sets for each end of the yak so weight should not be an issue. Does this sound like a good set up?

Pic:

Last edited by old_rookie; 05-21-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added pic removed X's
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I use a 12 volt winch with 1/4 inch plastic coated cable. Based off of a design from hand powered kayak lift kits. I attach two 24" pieces of pre-holed angle iron with 3/8" 3" lag bolts (the 24" lengths help adjust for your kayak length). Then I attached pulleys to the angle iron. Then you need two pulleys that attach to your kayak bow and stern handles with load bearing carabiners. Winch on one end yak pulley on the other. It works off of my 12v battery that I use for my FF. I unload it, rinse it, bring it into garage, hook it to pully's, lift it, disconnect battery and charge for next trip... reverse the process to lower them. I have a couple winches left over if anyone is interested, you can also get them for fairly cheap from Harbor freight. I also use small safety cables attached to rafters just in case of a failure anywhere. It works great!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
FARRIER

1" nylon webbing between rafters. then a caribiner to the pulley. webbing rated at about 4000# should be plenty strong enough. You can find it at rei.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
tight lines

Thumbs up

The eye bolt seems to be kinda long.the farther out you are the easier it will be to bend.Looks like a really good set up for little money.Just get some shorter eye bolts.

Just my thought ,
Carpenter Steve
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If there is any way you can mount that I-bolt vertically so all the force is pulling straight down, you will be good to go. Alternativelly, you should shorten the shaft of the bolt as much as possible.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
old_rookie

Shorter thicker eye bolt:

Right now, in the picture, I have it holding 50lbs of weight to make sure it will hold. Seems to be good.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
tight lines

perfect.!!
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
tagyak

i would be interested to see some pictures of handymansd's setup. from reading it, it sounds pretty elaborate and a cool setup.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
i would be interested to see some pictures of handymansd's setup. from reading it, it sounds pretty elaborate and a cool setup.
x2 and FARRIER's set up.