Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
old_rookie

kokatat dry pants...not so dry

I bought a pair last fall or late summer, something like that, and noticed during the last two outings my sweat pants I wear underneath were getting a little wet near the ankle - this is after I walk in the surf and was in knee deep water. Didn't notice anything while out on the water, so it isn't a big deal, but if I need to walk through the surf to launch, sure wouldn't help any to be wet for the day while wearing dry pants. Haven't had any hooks that I had to pull out of the pants - so I'm wondering if this is normal and expected with the first year of use?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
jorluivil

This may sound like a crazy idea but have you tried filling the inside with water? This should help you find where the leak is, right?

I bought a pair of Caddies waders at Sport Chalet a few months ago, I've been in waist deep water and have never had any issues. As far as I know they're supposed to keep you completely dry so if you're getting water inside they're either defective of you may have someway somehow punched a hole in them.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
old_rookie

I guess it is possible I put a hole in it. I think hanging the pants in a dark room
and using a trouble light lowered into the pants might work better than filling them.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I had the same issue with the same pants, and i used Nikwax Spray on and it fixed the problem don't know what it was ....

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
battleborn

The way most wader manufactures go about discovering holes is to turn them inside out. Spray them with rubbing etoh. You should see a darker coloration at the leak. Then use some aqua seal. Its dry time.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Kokatat come with a lifetime warranty, so if you do not want to find the leak yourself. You can send em back to be fixed or replaced.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
old_rookie

Thanks for the tip iceman. I checked their website about that. They will charge you if they determine the leak not to be from a manufacturer issue. I'll still try the trouble light approach just so I know ahead of time if it is something I did or not.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
old_rookie

I didn't use a trouble light, instead lowered a flashlight down each leg. Noticed light coming through the seams near the socks. Didn't notice anything in any other places. Sent e-mail to Kokatat for an RA.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Di$co

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I bought a pair last fall or late summer, something like that, and noticed during the last two outings my sweat pants I wear underneath were getting a little wet near the ankle - this is after I walk in the surf and was in knee deep water. Didn't notice anything while out on the water, so it isn't a big deal, but if I need to walk through the surf to launch, sure wouldn't help any to be wet for the day while wearing dry pants. Haven't had any hooks that I had to pull out of the pants - so I'm wondering if this is normal and expected with the first year of use?

Kokatat is extremely good at standing by their product. If it is a seem tape issue they should fix with no charge. Their gear is supposed to be bone dry. But on a side not, you shouldn't be wearing sweats under them. Please to all that are in the water, NO COTTON! If you are wearing cotton and it gets wet (from the water or your sweat) you will get cold. Wear synthetics or wool. Kokatat makes great fleece pants to wear under your paddle pants and so does SeasonFive.

Representative
Feel Free Kayaks
Pyranha Kayaks
P&H Sea Kayaks
Venture Kayaks
Imagine Surf SUP
JP Australia SUP
NP Paddles and Waterwear
SeasonFive Technical Apparel
Di$co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
old_rookie

Roger that on the sweat pants, ixnay on the ottoncay.

I sent in the pants to Kokatat - waiting to hear the diagnosis.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
old_rookie

Kokatat tested the pants - twice, and found no issues. So I'm not sure how the knee of my pants underneath got wet. Either way, Kokatat responded well and as far as I know didn't charge me for the testing or to return the pants.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
ZUMAN

I've had my Kokatat tropos dry pants for a couple of seasons,
holding up so far
ZUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote