Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #1
AnglerBob
Junior

Saltwater Slaughter @ Alamitos

Couldn’t keep the spotties off the hook yesterday. Hit the incoming tide early in the AM and it was on fire until mid-morning.

With the warming water (69F) the fish are definitely getting active. Ended up with about 8-10 spotties plus a couple of sand bass. A lot of dinks but a couple of legals. Eventually I tired of fighting the substantial current. Was broken off by something I never had a chance, possibly a ray or small shark. All fish released.

There are a lot of excellent spots there but I fish it differently than most people. I don’t concentrate on structure or eel grass areas because I fish light line and always get snagged and/or broken off. I have my best luck in open-water areas where there is good current motion and concentrations of bait. Later in the day I’ll switch to shaded areas under docks or boats etc. Fish were mostly on drop-offs in 12-18 feet. Big Hammer swimbaits, small tube baits and Gulp Alive Ghost Shrimp are killer on the bass. Hoping to nail a hali or corbina someday!

The area was less crowded than a usual summer weekday but Mothers’ Beach looked like Covid City lol.
Attached Images

AnglerBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alamitos bay, sand bass, spotties