Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
GregAndrew

The length of the ribbed support section on the new hatch is 25 1/2 inches.

The inside dimension of my old Rod Pod is about 25 inches.

And on my new yak it is slightly bigger than 25 1/2 inches.

I would need to cut out the part that returns down into the hull as well as a bit of the top flat part of my Pod base to get the length I need to fit the new hatch. Here is the difference between the two on mine. Here you see the plastic returning down into the hull.

And on the new one you just see the flat area on top.

Maybe it is just my yak, or my model year or something?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
Dennis

Has anyone gone through the surf with these, yet? How much of a difference in was there in relation to the seal? Thanks, Dennis
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Or you can support the people that bring you this great site instead of our biggest competitor...

Ill even Price-match for you.
X-2!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #24
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Has anyone gone through the surf with these, yet? How much of a difference in was there in relation to the seal? Thanks, Dennis
Heading out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.
It does sit a little different on the hatch opening than the factory hatch-cover.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Heading out tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.
It does sit a little different on the hatch opening than the factory hatch-cover.
Thanks, looking foward to your feedback. How does it sit differently? Snug? I should be getting mine in a couple of days, and can't wait to put it to the test.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Thanks, looking foward to your feedback. How does it sit differently? Snug? I should be getting mine in a couple of days, and can't wait to put it to the test.
Went out yesterday using the new hatch cover. Each time I take it off, it makes a suction kind of sound - I'm thinking it has a good seal. There was little surf, so no waves crashing over to check for water leakage.

Some of my observations, keep in mind I have not purchased any mounts or accessories to use with the new hatch....

I miss the cup holder. Maybe there is a ram mount for bottles?
The slide tray underneath had to go, I was missing it for a bit, but then I just threw my bag of tools in the hull instead.
It is much more solid, so scooting up and sitting on it I don't get the sense that I'm going to make it buckle and fall through and damage something.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #27
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Went out yesterday using the new hatch cover. Each time I take it off, it makes a suction kind of sound - I'm thinking it has a good seal. There was little surf, so no waves crashing over to check for water leakage.

Some of my observations, keep in mind I have not purchased any mounts or accessories to use with the new hatch....

I miss the cup holder. Maybe there is a ram mount for bottles?
The slide tray underneath had to go, I was missing it for a bit, but then I just threw my bag of tools in the hull instead.
It is much more solid, so scooting up and sitting on it I don't get the sense that I'm going to make it buckle and fall through and damage something.
The center screw holes on the mod pod are designed to fit a bicycle water bottle cage. Scotty also makes a cup holder that will drop right in to the Scotty mount holes.

I just ran some bungie down either side that I use to hold a water bottle, pliers, knife, etc..
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #28
Dennis

Thanks for the heads up.. I received my pod yesterday from Hook1. Can't wait to run it through the surf.