Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

New Rod/Reel Combo Suggestions

So the tax return came back with a bit more than I expected earlier in the year and I am looking at getting a new rod/reel combo. I want something that will be able to yo-yo and live bait (maybe a 2 speed lever drag) in the 30#-50# range. I have a 8ft Shimano Terez with calcutta 700B that I use for surface irons. I'm not going to be chasing 100LB tuna on 3 day trips, just what I can catch in paddle range. I would like an combo that is adaptable and reasonably priced, not looking to spend $400 on a Phoenix rod but I don't want something that is going to fall apart the second time I use it. Value and quality are very important to me. I know I'll see many of you tomorrow, but anyone that has any advice would be very welcome. Thanks !!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Bryan Griffin
Junior

I have two combos
first is a diawa lexa 400 hsl-p left handed 65# spectra paired to a terez tzc-80-blk 8 foot heavy/fast

second diawa lexa 300 hsl-p left handed 50# spectra paired to a terez tzc-70m-blk 7 foot medium/fast

I paid just over 1000.00 for these two set ups in april 2014

250.00 for the 400 combo
200.00 for the 300 combo
or 400.00 for both
Bryan Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
ccacher1

Sounds like you are on the right track as far as 30-50# rods. I use 7 foot rods in that weight range for both yoyo irons as well as live bait. I have both ugly stik and seeker rods and both seem good to me. I have heard a lot of people say the ugly stik rods hold up just fine for a cheaper rod ($80ish I think?) and I can't argue that my ugly stick rods have broken or rusted. The seeker rod I have is also 7' and I love it but I only have it because I got a smoking deal on it...think they are pretty expensive new.

As far as reels...having a lever drag for live bait trolling is AWESOME. Makes it a lot easier to set the drag for bigger baits. It might be kind of annoying using a lever drag for yoyo fishing but I suppose you could get used to it. I think most people will agree that you want a star drag for yoyo fishing for simplicity sake and just flipping the spool in gear. However, if you have to pick one, I'd probably rather have lever drag for both live bait and yoyo fishing than a star drag for both. I use a penn squall 40 lever drag for live bait and a daiwa saltist 40h for yoyo fishing. Really like both of these reels, granted I haven't fished either one that many times.

I guess my philosophy is I'd rather spend less on a rod (as long as it has good reviews) and more on a great reel that will actually be used to fight the fish. Check out Ugly Stik and seeker rods for sure.

Hope this helps.