Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Loozer
Junior

Islander Mothership Trip

I've signed up for the May 15-17 mothership trip and since this will be my maiden voyage on this type of trip i was looking for some tips/tricks/advice.
I know that there are repeat customers going on this trip and would appreciate any and all input. I'll be fishing off a Malibu stealth 12' w/fishfinder and bait well.

Thanks in advance for those willing to offer help.
Loozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Loozer
Junior

Anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
PescadorPete

This question is popping up in a couple of threads so let me help out with a few ideas.

Always calico bass so if you are into that, bring the gear, probably a bit heavier that usual because the weeds are thick. Weedless rigs, i.e. big slug baits with buried dropshot hooks, weedless leadheads with that toothbrush thingy under the chin, etc.

Always rockfish if you are on the east or southeast side of the island. Couple of 2 hook shrimp fly ganions with heavy weight. Islander cruises around and will call you in on a spot. Or you can easily find the spots on your fishfinder. If the big game fishing is slow, no harm in filling up the bag with taco meat.

Halibuts very likely so bring this gear. I've caught them on fishtraps, carolina rigs and a kayak sized bounce ball rig I put together.

Yellow tail, maybe so be prepared just in case. Irons, dropper loop and fly line.

WSB, rarest of the all, but you never know.

Bring a sabiki or two. Sometimes the bait is marginal and sometimes they just want to eat mackerel.

Hope that the bombing is subsided and you can fish Pyramid Cove, one of the world's best place to kayak fish.

Don't bring all the tackle you have in your garage. Less is more. Have your gear organized so when you are on deck to rig your yak, you can get in the water ASAP. Otherwise you hold up everyone behind you.

The cabins only have a one dual outlet so two guys with multiple chargers,
bring a multipoint outlet strip.

Last time I was out, they had nice local microbrews in the reefer. But is doesn't hurt to bring your favorite. Share a nice Ballast Point Grunion or a shot of Bushmills with some of the regulars and you may pick up a tip or two.

And have a great time!

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Good advise Pete. On the same note about holding up the show, you can do a few things to keep the show on the road. If you do not plan on being one of the first in the water the next morning, have them pack your yak on the top. Be aware of where your yak is packed cause they are going to unrack them in order (deck, sides and then top). They will give you some time to get your yak outfitted before they put it in the water, but get your stuff ready to be installed before they call you. Don't try to put everything on your yak before they launch it. Besides holding things up, you will kill the crew. Instead, only put the critical stuff and things you will be unable to install on the water.

Leave the swimstep for launching/landing and boarding/unboarding. I usually pack most of my loose items in my bait tank (or crate if that is your style), and transfer it to various spots/hatches after they hand it to me (and I pull away from the boat before I start unpacking). Then I will come back to the side of the boat for my rods and bait. Same steps in reverse when you come in for lunch, a move or the end of the day (although, if they are not moving and you expect to go right back out you may be able to leave your yak loaded and tied off). Don't get in the way of the crew, but you can certainly lend a hand passing rods, food, drinks, bait etc. off to other passengers.

There will likely be some good YT fishing this year. There is usually good Halibut fishing, but you may have to find their depth. And there is always great Calico fishing.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Pete, I thought man that is a cool photo..........and then I thought oh yeah I remember that
Old 05-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
619-SWIM-DOG

Thanks for the info guys. I'm signed up for the 2.5 day trip. Any info from those that have gone on these trips is great.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Fishin' Magician

Thank you very much for the info! That clarifies a few concerns that I had! Really looking forward to this trip. I've always wanted to fish SC Island and never had the opportunity before now.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Loozer
Junior

Pete & Greg

Thanks for the info.

I plan on only bringing three rods. I have most of my rigs pre-made already so that's a plus. Great Idea for the chargers, I'll definitely pack a power strip.

You both bring up a great point on the rigging of the yaks. I have a couple more questions...

How many kayaks can be on the deck for set up at once?

I have most of my gear in a plastic storage bin that I usually bring along. Is that something thats allowed in addition to clothing/personal stuff?

I don't foresee being "that guy" since I have everything ready to go and prepackaged but it doesn't hurt to be ahead of the curve.

Not a big beer drinker but I hope Crown carries as much currency as a micro-brew would.

Again, thanks for heads up, it definitely makes planning a trip like this easier and will hopefully make the 10 hour drive less stressful since I won't be constantly wondering what I forgot/mispacked.

Swim dog and Magician , i'll post how well (not well) I did when i get back home. I hoping there is spots left in June and if I have a good time, the plan is to get right off the boat and book another trip.

Good luck on your trip and stay upright.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Loozer
Junior

BTW if anyone who is going on the May 15 trip is interested fishing the morning before we leave, let me know. I'll be driving from Reno on the 14th and staying in my old beautiful neighborhood of East LA. But I'm up for meeting up to do some pre-fish fishing.

Let me know.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Here is how it has generally happened on the several trips I have been on. All of the kayaks on the deck for the trip over will be ready to outfit, but they will be in tight quarters on the deck. Once they get those launched they will start peeling more off the side racks to be outfitted on the deck until there is room on the side racks to outfit them there.

Most people will have a tackle bag or box out on the back deck area in addition to their clothing/etc. bags in their rooms.

Another good tip is to remember that anything left on deck over night will have dew on it the next morning. I have left my waders out to dry a couple times, only to find them sopping wet the next morning.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

That wasn't dew greg.....he he!