Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #21
FISH11

Using 65lb braid and saltwater I prefer the all metal guides.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #22
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
When and where have the Seagates been on sale for under $100? That seems like a great deal.

I've been kicking myself since I didn't pick up a Sealine X-SHA for $89 when Turner's had them for sale at the Fred Hall Show. I haven't seen them on sale since.
Bought two online last year. Seagate 50H for $97 from an Amazon Lightning deal and a new Seagate 35 for $99 on eBay.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #23
tanners
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
You get what you pay for on those Ugly Stix. They can't take a beating at all. Easily broke the end off one rod in less than 4 months. The other the braid wore a grove into the the eye tip and thus would weaken the braid so that it broke, again 4 to 6 months.
I won't ever use them again. My Shimano's never have issues, but at three times the price. Love em
What Ugly Stiks are you fishing? They are my second most dependable rods, falling only to the Calstars I wrap myself. I have had a 7' tiger lite for 3 years and beat the shit out of it. Caught yellows up to 32# paired with an Avet SX.

If you are wearing a groove into the guide, you are either using way too much drag or got a defect Imo. I haven't had problems fishing up to 15# drag with 50# braid.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #24
CR Yaker

These are the ones I bought.
Shakespeare BWCJL 2200 63 Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod - Casting

Never again. Used in a normal fishing setting. Other than defective, I thought they we're a bit bulky, cumbersome and too much action on the tip as another poster pointed out. Maybe these we're defective, but I won't risk finding out again. Plenty of other fine choices for rods. I use Avet's also.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #25
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Bought two online last year. Seagate 50H for $97 from an Amazon Lightning deal and a new Seagate 35 for $99 on eBay.
Can you or someone else comment how the generations work on the Seagate if I'm cruising Ebay or looking at used reels?

I know on the Sealines, SHA is the current generation and the previous generation was SHV with a 6.1:1 ratio. The HV was the previous generation with a 4.9:1 ratio

I don't know why manufacturers can't just label generations sequentially with a letter or number to make it easy
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
These are the ones I bought.
Shakespeare BWCJL 2200 63 Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging Rod - Casting

Never again. Used in a normal fishing setting. Other than defective, I thought they we're a bit bulky, cumbersome and too much action on the tip as another poster pointed out. Maybe these we're defective, but I won't risk finding out again. Plenty of other fine choices for rods. I use Avet's also.
I bought one too, haven't used it but once and only got a few rockfish on it. Maybe it'll be only used for that after hearing your experience. But bulky??? Are you comparing it to your trout gear? ? It's mad light, as for the reason I got it. Here it is next to a 15lbs rated bass rod (shimano). uploadfromtaptalk1431207997293.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431208020245.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431208050376.jpg
Old 05-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #27
CR Yaker

Bulky was the wrong term to use. More like uneven stiffness. The bottom 3/4 or the rod is overly stiff, while the tip is very playable.
Whereas my Shimano's have much better balance/play throughout the rod.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote