Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Podaker

Kayak Fishing in Costa Rica

Short story:
I went to Costa Rica on vacation and caught lots of fish and many different species. Barracuda, Spanish mackerel (not the ones we use for bait), lady fish, moon fish, corvina, lots of jack crevalle, snook & a couple of monster cubera snappers. I was hoping to get a couple of roosters, but I forgot all about those guys after getting slammed on top water jigs by huge snappers!

Detailed story:
I went out 3 days kayak fishing with my guides Pablo & Martin. They have tandem ocean kayaks, I’m glad I hired these guys as local knowledge is priceless, plus it was nice to be able to throw jigs and catch fish while Pablo was keeping me in the zone, making bait, and watching the fish finder/GPS. Every once in a while he would interrupt me from fishing the popper and ranger top water jigs and say “here, this one just took our bait”.

The first day was very windy and had some good size surf but we decided to go out anyways. We caught some barracudas and a Spanish mackerel trolling rapalas and using plastic swim baits. I also missed some chances, just couldn’t set the hook for some reason.

Name:  DSCF9735.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  DSCF9739.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  58.6 KB

The second day was much better. Calm wind, the ocean laid down, and sardines started moving in. It was tough to get the sardines so Pablo and I gave up on them as the surface of the water was perfect for some top water action. Martin stayed behind to keep trying for bait. I started out with a popper, having never fished this lure it took a little while to learn the technique. I had lots of followers, some all the way to the kayak. Pablo coached me on how to fish top water. I finally got it down, started slaying the jack crevalle’s. Switched to a ranger and had results as well. I Probably landed about 5 jacks that day, one was pretty nice.

Name:  DSCF9779.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  59.4 KB

THEN………….., I throw my ranger lure, it hits the water, I had perfect tension on the line, before I could crank the reel twice, BAM! A huge snapper breaches the water about 2 feet into the air, It’s on! Pablo started screaming “Snapper, Snapper”! “keep the tension, don’t lose this one, it’s a huge snapper”. I was stoked to be on a monster towing both of us around on a kayak. Pablo was more stoked because he knew that the fishing was really good if big snappers are hitting top water. Landed this beauty, and released it to get bigger (and it did. Hint, hint). Besides, what am I going to do with a 35 pound snapper?

Name:  DSCF9772.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  51.9 KB

The third day started a little slow, top water wasn’t producing like the day before so I switched up to swim baits and had some luck with the jacks. At one point we were just enjoying the beautiful Costa Rica scenery while my swim bait was just hanging in mid column and got slammed. I was able to get this one on the go pro. Fun fish to catch but I wanted something bigger & better. Back to some top water for a while, with the go pro on, hoping to get some good footage Pablo hands me the rod we had a big moonfish on for bait. This was the fish that made my fishing trip to Costa Rica a memory for years to come.

They told me I was lucky to catch that snapper the day before as they are not always around and only get them occasionally. Well this guy was much bigger!

Back to back days catching monster snappers, this one he estimated to be over 50 pounds.

Name:  DSCF9833.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  59.3 KB

The video is about 18 minutes long with some cool views of the coastline. There is a cool release at 2:20. If you just want the catching section it starts at 4:20 with a small jack, after that a battle with a big Cubera Snapper. At 9:40 or so I get it to the surface and it made another run. Clean release so I can go back next year and catch more of these fish.

Pura Vida!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8P...ew?usp=sharing
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Holy sheeit!

I thought the first one was big!

That's awesome stuff to catch on the kayak! Congrats!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Bad ass!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
momo fish

Beautiful. We need a beach launch like that..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Excellent report. Surprised you did not get a big rooster, but the huge snappers more than made up for that. Love the fact that you released the cueb's so that they can be caught again another day. Congratulations !
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
2-Stix

i did a few surf trips there in the late 90's but never fished it. looks great.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote