Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Mad Daddy
Father of two

braid

I have a Avet SX single speed on a custom calstar 700xl Grafighter gfgr and want advice on line. Should I go with braid or mono or a combo. If combo how do I load it. The rod is rated 15-25 and I want to go with 20lb.
Mad Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
deepdvr

Tough question to answer unless we know what you are targeting and what area(s) you plan on fishing.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
LakersFan

For potholing the kelp for bass, etc, I'd recommend going with 30# braid and then using a fairly short 5' to 6' flouro leader. I don't have an Avet and don't know the capacity, but for this purpose, I would put enough mono backing so you can quickly replace the braid with one of those small 125yd spools--an inexpensive way to stay spooled with fresh line.
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Mad Daddy
Father of two

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersFan View Post
For potholing the kelp for bass, etc, I'd recommend going with 30# braid and then using a fairly short 5' to 6' flouro leader. I don't have an Avet and don't know the capacity, but for this purpose, I would put enough mono backing so you can quickly replace the braid with one of those small 125yd spools--an inexpensive way to stay spooled with fresh line.
That would be my primary use. My question stems from the fact that I have read some posts in the past that mentioned braid with a top shot of xxxyds of mono. That to me looked to defeat the purpose of using the braid. I would like to use this primarily around the kelp but would like to use it as a multi-purpoose rod as well; perhaps targeting halibut ocasionally.
Mad Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote