Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
tasteslikechikn54

decisions, decisions....

If you had a couple hundred bucks to throw on a kayak, would you install a fish finder or an ultimate OEX bait tank? I currently have a bait tube, but its a pain in the @$$, lugging that thing around... I can't make up my mind. I know I could probably build a bait tank for a fraction of the cost, but is rather have someone with experience build it and install it... Whatta you guys recommend?
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
RK

The oex tanks always have looked pretty rad and are priced great as a whole package, that being said why dont you just downscale and get both, on either here or bloodydecks you could pick up a FF used for cheap, and either build (probably cost you less than 100 bucks) a tank,
what are you going to put in your bait tank if you cant find your bait?

that being said plenty of people do just fine without either, but you will greatly increase your odds at success for whatever your targeting with both,

Having healthy lively bait is definately key.
And knowing your depth, bait location, and whats swimming under you are also key.

I could safely bet that if you walked into oex theyd sort you out a deal on a ff and a livewell if you tried.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

If I had to choose, FF is a tool, bait tank an accessory.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
If I had to choose, FF is a tool, bait tank an accessory.
Words of a wise man... Fish finder it will be.

I'm planning on fishing la jolla on a regular basis come spring. I've been looking around and have come to three possibles... Hummingbird, lowrance x4 or a cuda 350... I'm waiting to hear back on the cuda 350 as it is a used unit. But, honestly the lowrance x4 is luring me... Any recommendations, iceman?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteslikechikn54 View Post
Words of a wise man... Fish finder it will be.

I'm planning on fishing la jolla on a regular basis come spring. I've been looking around and have come to three possibles... Hummingbird, lowrance x4 or a cuda 350... I'm waiting to hear back on the cuda 350 as it is a used unit. But, honestly the lowrance x4 is luring me... Any recommendations, iceman?
X2 I have been looking at the lowerance elite 4 w/gps, I sure hope someone has them at the Fred Hall show, hopefully the same booth that has the hobie bait tanks...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
X2 I have been looking at the lowerance elite 4 w/gps, I sure hope someone has them at the Fred Hall show, hopefully the same booth that has the hobie bait tanks...
BPS has the Lowrance elite 4 in color and BW, Color is $299, BW is $199

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
BPS has the Lowrance elite 4 in color and BW, Color is $299, BW is $199
this one?

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...S-Combo/Detail

bps is great but I gotta help pay for the bandwidth here.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
TCS

An inexpensive sonar is mainly good for finding bait and knowing your depth. If your fishing La Jolla, baits not that hard to find and the lineups are good once you know them. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the bait tank.

All that being said, listen to RK and get both.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post

Hey David, you might want to look at the 5. The 4 is too narrow. Especially if you run a split screen with gps and ff (which you should most of the time). Just something to think about.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

I'm eyeing the elite 4 FF/gps ! I pray to the fishing gods for a cheap price at the show for the unit. And the new scupper hole trans they came out with. Andy is Oex going to stock the scupper hole trans ?

Has anyone used them ?
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I like having the fish finder....but I could live without it. I usually fish with friends and up untill now put my bait in someone elses tank and paddled to them when I needed some. Do you know how big of a pain in the ass that is?

I respect other peoples opinions and preferences but if I had to chose one over the other id invest in a good bait tank. Then save up for a ff.

Note: I've been fishing along time without a ff and have always been able to make bait. Now its just nice to find bottom structure with taco meat season coming up

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Andy is Oex going to stock the scupper hole trans ?
I have had these for a while now($59.95), works killer on the Ultras.

The Elite 4 series has been hard to come by, we are supposed to be able to get them before the show, but we pay wholesale what some places are able to sell them for, so we won't have competitive pricing on them at the show.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
tasteslikechikn54

Hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone for their input and let you guys know that I went with a fish finder.... I scored an eagle cuda 350... Looking forward to the installation. Thanks for the input...