Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
ctrujillo

halibut rod?

Was at salt creek today fishing for hali.i was useing a kencor rubicon swimbait special 7/11 20-40 with a newell 220 reel.so i was checking bait reeling in snagged the kelp pulled rod a few times to free up and snap broke in two seperate places at tip.needless to say i wasent happy. I need a new rod any suggestions?length action line size fiberglass graphite composite and so on.not looking to blow a huge wad but dont want anymore garbage.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
RobFish
Massive Member

Craigslist, Seeker, Calstar.
At least that's how I'd find it.
Sorry to hear about your Kencor though.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

Whatever brand you get I would recommend a glass graphite composite blank. If its specifically to target Halibut you'll want something with a more parabolic action and a soft tip that will act as a shock absorber for their head shakes.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
GregAndrew

I prefer a moderately fast (read stiff) tip on a lighter action (10 or 12 - 20 or 25) rod. Let the entire rod react to the headshakes while still having a sensitive tip. Shimano Teramar is a decent rod for not too expensive. I prefer GLoomis BBR series myself, but they are a bit more.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
RK

There's a nice guy on bd named fishswami or something like that selling a beautiful custom wrapped older seeker 270-7 for 80 bucks its brand new and would make a bitchen Hali rod, it was just a hair too light for my liking. If I were in your boat I wouldn't even think twice about it.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I prefer a moderately fast (read stiff) tip on a lighter action (10 or 12 - 20 or 25) rod. Let the entire rod react to the headshakes while still having a sensitive tip. Shimano Teramar is a decent rod for not too expensive. I prefer GLoomis BBR series myself, but they are a bit more.

Ditto.......my go-to halibut rod is a TMC-X76MH.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
kayakhunter

Calstar GX-8 or 196-8L. My two favorite halibut sticks.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
mrJB

Funny you should mention that rod... I had the exact same rod break on me the first time out, also on a snag. Broke about 1/3 back from the tip. I had purchased it at a Kencor "liquidation" sale at Hogan's in DP. Stephanie was good enough to replace it immediately but, since there were no more available, she gave me the next closest Kencor they had in stock. Without even taking the wrapping off I had it on Craig's List and sold it for what I originally paid for it.

On the other hand, a few months later I came into a Kencor K-SWBT 711H (15 - 30) and it is one of my favorite halibut rods, usually the second rod on my kayak.

Your question as to "recommended halibut rods" will get a zillion different responses. When in doubt, use what the expert(s) are using. Greg A. knows what he is talking about and has had the fish to back him up.

There will be other considerations beyond the rod's "action" to further complicate your choices. Things like actual weight, handle length, handle thickness, etc. are important to me. Also where you'll be fishing - shallow, deep, etc., and the warrantee/guarantee that comes with the rod. I'm partial to Teramars and currently own a bunch of them, but my favorite "go to" Teramar is a TMC 76H. I believe this is an East Coast version (blue blank, silver guides) - fast action and not extra-fast - so more parabolic and a bit softer - and it's light weight with a thinner cork grip. More like a medium West Coast Teramar rather than it's "heavy" West Coast counterpart. Unfortunately, I've seen the new Teramars that have come out; they are looking more like bass rods and pretty wimpy for halibut.

My $.02: borrow your friends rods for half an hour while out there and that will help you narrow your choices. Beyond that, the general consensus seems to be, at least for kayaks and halibut fishing, keep it light, parabolic, and somewhere around a medium action, give or take.

Oh, on the reel, I use lefty Calcutta's and Avets. The Calcutta 401 is a little pricy but a great reel. The Avet series is a GREAT reel for the price, but you need to stay up on your maintenance.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
taggermike

There are some excellent recomendations made here. Bay or ocean mostly determin what rod i use. I'm with fishinkid about a softer parabolic rod. Mt favorite hali rod was a 8 foot allstar composit. soft but with decent lifting power. I had one of the penn international bait casters on it. The low gear ratio of that reel allowed me to fight the fish with out pumping the rod. I find that slow steady presure to be better for landing halis. Just hooking and keeping it hooked is the tough part about halibut. Many fish are just barely hooked and a softer touch helps me. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
mrJB

Another broken Kencor...

Spoke to soon and broke my second Kencor, my second favorite halibut rod, a Kencor K-SWBT 711H (15-30). Broke at the same place as my last one, 1/3 down from the tip. At least this time there was a fish on...

Guess I know why they went out of business ...