Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Makobob iWALK2.0

iWALK 2.0
by Makobob
Today, 21 days after my left foot was amputated I walked for the first time with a walker without
hopping. The iWALK 2.0 was not as easy for me to use as the video on-line show. There is a balance
learning and for me a foot pick up learning curve. Tomorrow I will try it on the parallel bars. If that
goes well then I will attempt without any other aid.

That means I will walk along on the iWALK and my good foot. I will again have full mobility. Walking
on your own is so important in the rehab process. Mobility is paramount to the lifestyle I desire to
continue living. Freedom and Baja will not be too far behind.

Coming hurdles include entering and exiting my Dodge Ram 2500 truck, and then using my prosthetic
when it arrives next month. The temp prosthetic should be easy after mastering the iWalk. Just balance
and gait training. mostly practice. The Dodge truck might be a different matter.

That first step getting into the truck is HIGH. And getting in will be easier than getting OUT. That LONG
step down could dump me on my face. So right now that is my biggest worry. If I cannot get it right them
my only choice will be to downsize the Dodge to a Toyota Tundra and I might be looking for a trade.

Once I get over these SMALL hurdles then my life is no longer on hold and I can go back to living my life
to its fullest. Driving a smaller truck will not be a problem. I will be able to walk the beaches of Baja looking
for corvina. Drive the Quad around to explore and launch the boat or yak.

Getting into and out of the boat will just mean using a three-step stool. The stool may also work for the
Dodge truck too. stepping into and getting out of the kayak will get me wet. But I can live with that. Life
can be good after an amputation. You just have to change the way things are done.

The iWalk 2.0 is a game changer for me on my road back to Baja. Thank you all for your motivation, heart-felt
wishes and prayers. That helped me to focus on the important things in my life. Fishing, Baja and kayaking.

I do hope those of you getting ready to go thru this get a little inspired and lose some of your anxiety and fear.
Life goes on. Live the life you love and LOVE the life you LIVE. Live YOUR life to the fullest, Tight Lines to you all.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
iWALK 2.0
by Makobob
Today, 21 days after my left foot was amputated I walked for the first time with a walker without
hopping. The iWALK 2.0 was not as easy for me to use as the video on-line show. There is a balance
learning and for me a foot pick up learning curve. Tomorrow I will try it on the parallel bars. If that
goes well then I will attempt without any other aid.

That means I will walk along on the iWALK and my good foot. I will again have full mobility. Walking
on your own is so important in the rehab process. Mobility is paramount to the lifestyle I desire to
continue living. Freedom and Baja will not be too far behind.

Coming hurdles include entering and exiting my Dodge Ram 2500 truck, and then using my prosthetic
when it arrives next month. The temp prosthetic should be easy after mastering the iWalk. Just balance
and gait training. mostly practice. The Dodge truck might be a different matter.

That first step getting into the truck is HIGH. And getting in will be easier than getting OUT. That LONG
step down could dump me on my face. So right now that is my biggest worry. If I cannot get it right them
my only choice will be to downsize the Dodge to a Toyota Tundra and I might be looking for a trade.

Once I get over these SMALL hurdles then my life is no longer on hold and I can go back to living my life
to its fullest. Driving a smaller truck will not be a problem. I will be able to walk the beaches of Baja looking
for corvina. Drive the Quad around to explore and launch the boat or yak.

Getting into and out of the boat will just mean using a three-step stool. The stool may also work for the
Dodge truck too. stepping into and getting out of the kayak will get me wet. But I can live with that. Life
can be good after an amputation. You just have to change the way things are done.

The iWalk 2.0 is a game changer for me on my road back to Baja. Thank you all for your motivation, heart-felt
wishes and prayers. That helped me to focus on the important things in my life. Fishing, Baja and kayaking.

I do hope those of you getting ready to go thru this get a little inspired and lose some of your anxiety and fear.
Life goes on. Live the life you love and LOVE the life you LIVE. Live YOUR life to the fullest, Tight Lines to you all.
always forward amigo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Baja_Traveler

Whenever there is an obstacle there is an engineering solution...

Automatic retracting power step
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post

Kai, you cost me money AGAIN, thanks amigo this should make it much easier. Are you paying for the installation?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
jpp9565

Great job Bob! Stay tough!
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post

I was just about to post one of these. I've seen them with as many as 4 steps on them. I am sure someone can make one as big as you need. Lots of custom aftermarket truck mods available. Keep the Dodge.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
farreola

You'd be supersized how the body adapts. When there is a will there is a way. I've had to get in and out of my lifted truck while injured. I found it a little bit more difficult to get in than get out. On my way out, I just grab on to the steering wheel and door and slide down slowly. To get on, I do have a step, but before that I would use a light 2 step, step latter. Fold it up when I was done and throw it in the back seat. I'm sure I'll be seeing you on your Dodge truck in Baja SOON!!!
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by farreola View Post
You'd be supersized how the body adapts. When there is a will there is a way. I've had to get in and out of my lifted truck while injured. I found it a little bit more difficult to get in than get out. On my way out, I just grab on to the steering wheel and door and slide down slowly. To get on, I do have a step, but before that I would use a light 2 step, step latter. Fold it up when I was done and throw it in the back seat. I'm sure I'll be seeing you on your Dodge truck in Baja SOON!!!
Yes thay was one of 4 fifferent solution. Being short legged it is tougher but I WILL figure out at least two solutions that work for me.Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN