Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccacher1 View Post
I have a really n00b question about my Penn Squall 25 (SQL25N). So, I went to Basspro to buy one and they were out but ended up selling me the display model for $10 cheaper. I went to use it last weekend and I was just trying to practice throwing a 2oz weight in the surf and could not adjust the spool tension control on the side to hold this 2oz weight up. I had the knob all the way cranked down but the weight would still fall like nothing was holding it up. My question is, is this normal or is something wrong with the reel? On my cardiff 300 if I tighten that knob all the way down it holds the weight up. I have the insurance on it so it Isn't a problem returning it, I just want to know if I should...

What on earth are you even trying to do?

The knob on the right in line with the spool shaft is purely for spool alignment, it's not a cast control. The knob or dial on the left is the cast control, and like all magnetic cast controls it only functions when the spool is spinning. The star on the right at the handle is the drag adjustment and it should be able to create 15lbs of drag.

It sounds like you think the knob on the right for spool alignment creates the drag tension, or think it's some kind of cast control. It's not for either of those things.

I just fished five days with one of those reels, they are simple, work perfect and are virtually trouble free right out of the box. I can't figure out what you think is wrong or what you think it needs to do, but I assure you that reels is probably just fine.

You can tighten the knob on the right really tight to slow the spool some for drifting in freespool with the clicker on but it's not going to create a ton of resistance and you should not cast it or fish it this way all the time as it not only will ruin the reels performance, but eventually cause increased wear and the end of the spool shaft.

That reel is not a jigmaster or model T. It's like you've taken a corvette and want to drive it around all the time with the emergency brake on because it feels more stable. Tighten the spool knob in until you feel a slight resistance at the spool then loosen it till the spool turns free then use the magnetic brake for a casting brake because that is the way the reel is designed to be used.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote