Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Pending World Record WSB off a Kayak in SM Bay?

Do I have your attention! I know this is not a true report - but this needs more attention.
The image attached is not a record nor my personal best, but a record may not happen if you don't make your voice heard this Thursday in SD (5:30 3165 PCH) or next Monday in San Pedro (5:30 Cabrillo Marine Aquarium).

CA DFW is looking at ending the Hatchery Program. Town Hall Meetings are NOW!

I was the only kayaker for the Goleta event and no free divers. Our 2 user groups focus on WSB as a percentage of our target species over any other angling group. The data at the meeting was very suspect (in part do to a lack or WSB heads being turned in, I am guilty of this myself). We need to be there to share our observations and preventing another top down decision like the MLPAs.

For instance, there was no data about the impact of the exponential increase in population of pinnipeds (CA Sea Lions and Seals) and the correlating loss of released WSB juveniles. Also, no surveys North of PV - where I have caught my 2 PBs (and more). Even Oregon and Washington are relocating predatory CA Sea Lions found up river predating upon salmon and trout during spawning migrations. (Like CA does w/problematic Mountain Lions) And what about the amazing fishery in Baja since the hatchery started releasing fish?

Understand the CA Constitution protects fishermen's right of access to any waters that are planted, the WSB release program is a possible road block to those in this state who want to end all sport fishing.

Yes, there are arguments against the program to be considered, but the data is inconclusive and other states and countries are copying our program, including Totouba in Baja. We are paying for it w/the ocean enhancement stamp and volunteer support. The state is willing to spend the money to ban straws and plastic bags, but won't spend a dime of other funds for fisheries enhancement.

Thanks - please make time to be there.

See attached flyer for details about these 2 events.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (40.8 KB, 503 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OREHP-Townhall-meeting-flyer.pdf (146.5 KB, 99 views)
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
iethinker

Where to turn in head?

If I catch and keep one in San Diego County, where do I turn in the head?
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
greenscales
greenscales

Here’s a link to all of the locations. Hubbs is best in SD because you can ask for the stones back.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=123819

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
Here’s a link to all of the locations. Hubbs is best in SD because you can ask for the stones back.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...umentID=123819

That link appears not to work.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
greenscales
greenscales

Forgot - old DFG link. It only
Loads now and again. Try this http://hswri.org/wp-content/uploads/...tions_0316.pdf

Also, if you can’t make it but want to provide input, review this https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conserva...ine/ABMP/OREHP and
email Valerie at the Bottom of the link.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
If I catch and keep one in San Diego County, where do I turn in the head?
To me!
I kid... sort of. The SD area drop offs include J&J spear shop on harbor island, but the easiest to get to is Hubbs main facility in Mission Bay. If it's the weekend or after normal work hours, Dana Landing across the street will take the heads.

If you're headed back up north from La Jolla, you can drop your head off at the hatchery in Carlsbad before 4pm or at Hogans bait and tackle in Dana pt, both are fairly easy to assess from I-5.

Also, see my post in a few minutes in the general forum...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote