Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
aguachico

BAIT TANKS FOR KAYAKS

CHECK IT OUT!
http://www.anglersyakshack.com/index.html
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
JimPat

Nice

Looks like a nice system, but it is hard for me to give up the do it yourself price and pay $270.
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Dennis

I remember seeing it at the Fred Hall show. That is a lot of money, plus you lose a hatch and you have two holes (entry and exit) in the bottom of your kayak. But, I guess it beats lugging around a 5 gal...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Piranha

Send a message via AIM to Piranha Send a message via Yahoo to Piranha
Kayatank!

If it springs a leak inside your hull and you don't know it...........

BLUB,BLUB,BLUB!

Piranha :roll:
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
madscientist

Nice design but I agree with the others, holes in the hull scare the bejesus out of me. Particularly in a soft plasic hull like Malibu uses.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
aguachico

I've had thru hull fittings in the bottom of my Malibu for 3 years, in my OK Cabo for 4 years. No problem.

The scupper hole and the drain plugs are the weakest points on an eXtreme. I put a three inch gash thru the hull of my eXtreme. It was repaired in Huntington at the factory. They used melted poly to repair. It leaked. I used 5200 to seal the gash. No more leak for three years.

Thru hull fittings and 5200 have been keeping real boats a float for decades. Real boat owners use them all the time. Kayaks are easy and safe to fit because of the characteristics linear polyethylene.

The world is not flat.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
Dennis

Hey Art,
How did it fair (your repair) when it came to loading/unloading your kayak? My only concern would be then, because when I load/unload my X-Factor the hull would bend a little on the saddles. I'm wondering if the entry and exit holes catch, would the holes get jarred wider. Good system, too bad my X-Factor's going.
-Dennis
Old 01-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
aguachico

Dennis;

My repair has held up great. 5200 is the greatest thing since slice bread.

The malibu's have soft hulls, when I travel my yak thru Baja, she generally rides hull up since the deck is tougher than the hull, but I've abused my yak for three years. I don't know one in San Diego that has had an eXtreme longer than I. My thru hull fitting my internal tank is rock solid.

AC
Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Dennis

Thanks, Art.
-D
Old 01-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
madscientist

Excuse my ignorance, but what is 5200?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
aguachico

Quote:
Looks like a nice system, but it is hard for me to give up the do it yourself price and pay $270
This is your last tank. Over the course of 8 years I have been thru much more than $270 worth of bait tanks.

Quote:
That is a lot of money, plus you lose a hatch and you have two holes (entry and exit) in the bottom of your kayak. But
You don't lose a hatch. My tank is in the rear. I gained "contained storage" with the rear extreme bait tank.

Quote:
If it springs a leak inside your hull and you don't know it...........
BLUB,BLUB,BLUB!
How can I say this without being rude...10 years of use, in dozens of yaks, without a leak. There's a drain hole on the back of my eXtreme that's more of a danger than my thru hull fitting. Go away.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is 5200?
It's the ultimate 3m product. It's a marine sealant for below the water line. My boat has 5200 sealing all thru-hull fittings.

If this wasn't a tested safe product, I wouldn't have it in my yak.

Brad, that bait tank you have, the one that inserts into the hatch is mess. Contact me if you are interested in cutting edge technology.

AC
Old 01-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Klutz

how durable

how durable is the actual tank? is it designed to be used as a livewell? Could it withstand holding a couple of calicos or sandys for prolong periods?

thanks for the info
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
aguachico

re-enforced vinyl. This stuff is used in commercial applications all over the world. The seams are connected with the same stuff SEAWORLD uses to create their custome made floats.
If by chance you took a razor to the bladder, it would be patchable, easily patchable. Trying to cut this stuff is not very easy. You need high end shears to cut it.

This pic is of a prototype and is not what kayatank is selling. I was one a the luckily to test this puppy.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
scwafish

Interesting concept. I'd rather have a well installed hole below waterline than some of the jethro-engineering I see on a lot of "safe" yaks.

Quote:
Contact me if you are interested in cutting edge technology.
It might be a cutting edge concept, but after surfing all of the pics at your site the technology could be better. You should clean-up your wiring harness with some multi contact plugs like a metri-pack. Way less plugs, water and dirt proof, and more importantly no way for the end user to get it wrong.

I am with you, BTW, the stock MK tank is a much bigger hole in the boat. Good luck!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
aguachico

Thanks for the constructive feedback. This is not my company. I'll pass it on.

AC
Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #16
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

The system looks really nice.

I'm aiming toward simplicity and I really dig my new "bait tube". So simple, almost no drag, no on-board weight, and about $10.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #17
aguachico

Bait tubes are a great idea. Especially when you only need a few baits. When the cuda, bones and calis start whacking the macs, you need a few more baits.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico
Dennis;

My repair has held up great. 5200 is the greatest thing since slice bread.

The malibu's have soft hulls, when I travel my yak thru Baja, she generally rides hull up since the deck is tougher than the hull, but I've abused my yak for three years. I don't know one in San Diego that has had an eXtreme longer than I. My thru hull fitting my internal tank is rock solid.

AC
soft hulls? i just test paddled both cobra and malibu yesterday and noticed that the cobras are in FACT alot thinner, i was able to dimple many spots in the cobra(marauder) with one finger. the malibu felt very durable in comparison.
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #19
aguachico

Quote:
soft hulls? i just test paddled both cobra and malibu yesterday and noticed that the cobras are in FACT alot thinner, i was able to dimple many spots in the cobra(marauder) with one finger. the malibu felt very durable in comparison
I'm not familiar with the Cobra products. I did paddle a fnd once and it was pretty thick. As far as the Mailbu's hull being more durable to the product you tested... OK.

The point of this post was the baot tank, it was side tracked into other areas. My thru hull pump is supported with a PVC base to give it stability. It's been going strong for 3 years, 1000's of baja miles, rocks, reefs and concrete. The hole(gash) in the bottom is held by 3m 5200, it's the same marine adhesive that I use on my thru hull pump and on my Panga's thru hull fitting.

AC
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #20
bluesquids

Just picked up some 5200 in white from home depot. Should of went down to west marine to get it in black, but screw it. It'll look good if it cleans up well. I'm gonna use it on a flush mount install instead of silicone or a gasket. Does it clean up well? Can I trim off the excess mid cure with an x-acto?
Thanks for the tip, seems like impressive stuff.