Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Mainline

lowrance hdi through hull?

Has anybody done a through hull using duct seal/plumbers putty on a lowrance hdi transducer? If so did you lose any sensitivity with the down scan?
It`s going on a outback and thought about using the lowrance scupper mount but then I`d have to get a different cart.

thanks
Mainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
CheapPelican

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/...mystified.html
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
bubblehide

Boaters and commercials spend big dollars to make sure they have the puck in the water; they do it for a good reason, performance. But hey, for some, it's just to hard to cut holes in their yaks. That is why some of the yak companies are now making scupper holes designed to mount the puck with the wires running up it. But hey, through hulls do work, just not as well.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainline View Post
Has anybody done a through hull using duct seal/plumbers putty on a lowrance hdi transducer? If so did you lose any sensitivity with the down scan?
It`s going on a outback and thought about using the lowrance scupper mount but then I`d have to get a different cart.

thanks
You would have to modify bait tank as well. Been there done that. The transducer is back inside my kayak. Just upgraded to an elite 5 hdi and testing it Saturday with a through hull mount. I'll try to take some screen shots of the down scan. So far though looks like a great unit.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

After testing it now, I know for a fact that to get a good DSI reading you need the transducer straight in the water. Bought a transducer arm that mounts on ram ball.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Mainline

I was a little concerned after seeing the screen shot in the article listed above and I`m sure that was under ideal conditions. I will probably go with a scupper mount and use a different cart.

Thanks for all the feedback
Mainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
smithers

Works well for me

I have a little barrier of putty towards front of yak that I stick my transducer into. Use my bilge pump (super squirter thing) to shoot a few inches of water in there after I launch.

Very happy with the performance. Very glad i didn't mess with cutting a hole etc. Did buy the scupper mount then found it didn't fit my actual transducer.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

DI/SI thru Hull

Here is a pic I took of my system with the Transducer mounted inside the kayak shooting thru the hull using Electrical Putty.

It works, I'm sure if the ducer was in the water there would be a lot more detail, but it works. At this point it becomes up to you, whether or not losing a little detail it that big of a deal for you. I purposely did this because I wanted to see if it could be done, and it can, yes, even with Side imaging it can shoot thru the hull.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote