Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Magging my Avet SX ...Test Video

Here's the video of some testing with my Avet SX post the conversion I did.

In the test the reel is filled with thirty pound Power Pro spectra and I'm casting a 2 ounce tennis ball, as you can see the reel does not backlash even though I am not thumbing the spool during the cast and I'm consistently casting maybe forty to fifty yards. I could of cast it further but there's limitations due to the size of the lot, and the power lines. I magged the reel with two D61 Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnets. You can see the process I followed in detail at my Myspace Fishing blog here at: http://blogs.myspace.com/451418044.

Fun stuff...

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-25-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
driftwood

That is so awesome Jim! Congratulations! Your efforts really did make that thing fly. If you could just figure out how to permanently solve the corrosion problem and patent the idea, you would be a rich man. Thank you for sharing. That is so cool!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
That is so awesome Jim! Congratulations! Your efforts really did make that thing fly. If you could just figure out how to permanently solve the corrosion problem and patent the idea, you would be a rich man. Thank you for sharing. That is so cool!
Thanks!! It turned out OK. I'm not the first to try this by any means, so no riches for me

It's one of those things that I thought would be hard until I played with it but it's really pretty simple stuff. I've now got half a dozen reels I want to try this with.

Jim
Old 07-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Bpcode3
Angler

Pretty cool rigging there Jim. Is that basically what the Mc Cast is on the Avets?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Billy V

I have an avet jx with the mc cast.
It has a 1 through 5 setting to adjust. add/subtract magnet force.

It does work, you have to stop the spool when you jig hits the water.
-The smaller the reel, the better. The SX model would be nice.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcode3 View Post
Pretty cool rigging there Jim. Is that basically what the Mc Cast is on the Avets?

Yes it's the same idea.

People have been doing this for years, with either fixed magnets or adjustable ones where the distance of the magnet to the spool is adjustable.

All you have to do to make one that is adjustable is drill a hole in the side plate stick a bolt in it, stick the magnets on the end of the bolt and then adjust the distance from the spool by turning the bolt in and an out.

Penn has had a very successful adjustable mag for years the 525 mag which in my opinion is a brilliant reel for 30 pound spectra and cheap as you can get them online for around $130

When Avet produced their reels a number of people started magging them. Since they had no cast controls and have such great bearings and free spool it was a good match. All Avet did was incorporate the ideas or the mods people were putting on their reels and market a version of it.

I have not had one apart but I imagine that it's just a rare earth magnet with some kind of system to raise and lower it, or adjust it's distance from the spool. Closer to the spool means more adjustment or breaking further from it means less.

Here's a video of someone using the Magic Cast magged version of the SX at lupe' as you can see he got the same results.

I'm surprised more of you guys don't find this interesting. I just think it's cool!!!

My next version is going to be a adjustable Saltist 30.

Jim
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I have an avet jx with the mc cast.
It has a 1 through 5 setting to adjust. add/subtract magnet force.

It does work, you have to stop the spool when you jig hits the water.
-The smaller the reel, the better. The SX model would be nice.
I'm thinking about doing a JX I have. For years I've used that reel to sight cast or pitch baits to Marlin and finning Mako's offshore, I figured with the mag it would be even better for that purpose.

Do you like your JX, any gripes or problems or suggestions? What setting do you keep it on most of the time?

Jim