Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Bahia Asuncion year in review

Bahia Asuncion year in review:

I went out fishing this morning and that will be my last session of my first year in Bahia Asuncion. I thought it might be interesting to post up a review of my successes during this past year.

First of all I fished 193 days in the last year. Each session lasted from a bit before sunrise to between 12 and 1 pm. I pretty much concentrated on Yellowtail fishing and accepted plenty of bycatch.

I landed a total of 241 counters. I counted ever yellow that I estimated to be over 12 lbs.

My largest was a 47.8 lbs, caught in March.

My best month and as July with 56 counters.

My worst month was January with 1 followed closely with 2 in December. Surprisingly I probably caught more yellows in those 2 months than any 2 months. Just all rats.

I harvested 5 fish for myself and gave 23 to close by pangeros. The rest were released.

Noteworthy bycatch included 1 YFT, 3 broom tail grouper, one amberjack., numerous chunky sheepshead, and drag pulling whitefish and of course the ever present calico and sand bass.

Hooked and lost 4 wahoo. Two confirmed and two "my God I don't think anything but a wahoo could swim that fast!"

Lost in excess of 75 heavy irons and megabaits. About 3/4 were lost by being rocked by fish and the rest just being rocked.

Got tumbled in heavy surf once. Lost a tackle box with a few jigs, my glasses, and rendered my camera and vhf inoperable.

Not a bad year. I truly expected that I would have developed a bit of a cavalier attitude towards getting out there and trying again but I can honestly say that i was just as giddy about getting on the water this morning as I was on March 1st of last year. BTW, 4 yellows this morning but only one counter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote