Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
TJones

Feces in yak

Anyone stick a yellowtail in the hull of a kayak , only to have the victim crap postmortem? This is not the first time I have had a yellowtail crap on me. Maybe I should have kept him on deck for a little bit prior to sticking him in the hull? What came out of the fish was a concoction of red crab and mackerel, brewing in the summer sun on the way home during the peak hours of LA traffic. The traffic was not as bad as anticipated, maybe because I took a few pits stops such as nap and a dinner break. Yes it still took 4 hours to get home. The fish of course were put in a cooler with ice for the journey home . What a surprise awaiting me when I went to partially clean equipment this morning . This is the first time I stuck a fish in the hull of a hobie , let alone close to 50 lbs of yellows squirting their guts out. Would I do it again ? Yes , because the fish are well protected from the elements given I did not bring a burlap sack, let alone the dogs grabbing your price which is what really worries me after hearing some of the horror stories that have taken place . Maybe this is just my way of breaking the skunk on the new yak ? And yes I have been in a dry spell. Maybe it is because Chuck took all of my Ju Ju with my 2014? Thanks Chuck. . Congrats again. Anyone else want to share on similar experience feel free to join in .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Fishin Phil

Bring a couple of 44 gallon heavy duty trash bags. Then you will have it in the bag and not the yak.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

And the original king of LJ regains his crown!

How many yellows are in 50 pounds?

1? 2? 3? 4? 5?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
RockyRaab

Ya know, there's something delightfully if unintentionally ironic when Phil mentions large plastic bags.

Considering his avatar.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
Ya know, there's something delightfully if unintentionally ironic when Phil mentions large plastic bags.

Considering his avatar.
That's no avatar...that's actually him! !
Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
TJones

went to clean more gear

My alley smells like a sewer, don't get excited guys. This was a learning experience . I should have flushed it out at sea when i saw it. A little clean salt water , no harm no foul. 24 lb and 25 lb on the digital scale after being bleed out . Tight lines everyone . Like mentioned in previous fish report, not wide open by any means . Just a good day of catching for me and few lucky kayakers .
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
driftwood

I had an emergency while fishing LJ and took a crap inside my kayak hull.
That was a messy clean up I'll never do that again!!!!!

Anyone else want to share on similar experience feel free to join in.

Last edited by driftwood; 07-02-2015 at 11:46 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I had an emergency while fishing LJ and took a crap inside my kayak hull.
That was a messy clean up I'll never do that again!!!!!
Hahaha #kayakfishermenproblems
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
619-SWIM-DOG

I use this fish bag and was able to have a couple of YT's stored up front in the Outback. Works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YakCatch-Fish-Bag.jpg (60.9 KB, 275 views)
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
TJones

I have been crapped on by a lot of people in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I know right!? Anyone else want to share on similar experience feel free to join in.
But this is the first from a fish . The sun is out , the drive way is washed down , the odor is dissipating . Life is good .
Old 07-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
TJones

storing in yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
I use this fish bag and was able to have a couple of YT's stored up front in the Outback. Works great.
is really not a bad idea, just keep them on deck for a half hour prior to storage while they constrict .
Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
is really not a bad idea, just keep them on deck for a half hour prior to storage while they constrict .
I have the same long drive to LA (DTA) That's why you need to gutt your fish completely clean BEFORE you put them in your hull.
Your fish will taste a lot better when you get them home. Smell better too...
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
Hunters Pa

Yup, I have learned to make sure the poop chute of the big black seabass is aimed away from you as you are reviving it. That expanded swim bladder can hold a lot of pressure looking for an outlet.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
Fishin Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
That's no avatar...that's actually him! !
So, that's why you keep staring at me with that crooked smile
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #15
TJones

Got it all cleaned up.

Couple cups of bleach mixed with half a kayak full of water . Hopefully my guide lines don't pop 3 miles from shore .
Old 07-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
TJones

Never look a Big Black Eye to Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Yup, I have learned to make sure the poop chute of the big black seabass is aimed away from you as you are reviving it. That expanded swim bladder can hold a lot of pressure looking for an outlet.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #17
FISH11

I have had the same problem on most times I have stored the Yellows inside my X Factor. 3 X 20+lbrs can make quite a mess. I take the fish out at the landing and then walk the kayak back to the surf push down on the bow with the front hatch removed. The waves can fill up the inside fast then I use the hand pump to empty if out. That rinses all the inside out. I use a sponge, for the little left at the end and the Kayak is clean and no smell. I hadn't tried it yet but I thought of squeezing the gut out after bleeding out to see if that would remove most of the waste. The waste varies by what they eat and the red crabs are really messy. I had tried using tall kitchen bags but the tail and fins tear through and it stills get all over the inside. I would never transport the fish in the kayak when not in the water. I bring along a very large cooler (almost as wide as the rear seat of my Jeep) after loading up I stop at the gas station and get several bags of ice to cover the fish. Also if the fish if covered with ice it can stay the night in the cooler and is easier to clean next morning, since the flesh is firmer from being on ice over night.

Last edited by FISH11; 07-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
I've thought about this after reading a couple of threads over the years from some members not cleaning their yaks after returning home due to time, falling asleep, being too tired, and having fermenting fish smell etc. the day after.
I've also looked into the the fish bag posted by swim-dog. However I have also read about the difficulty of landings due to kayaks being top-heavy from too many fish (a problem I hope to have one day).
I thought about using Canyon or Boone fish catch bags [http://www.amazon.com/CANYON-Insulat...RMVW73MG9Z3QQ] that I could use to store my catch in the hull with (I lost my old long range one years ago and never replaced it). This lower center of gravity should make landings easier and not as challenging (unless I'm missing something). The bags are sealed and also easily rinsed out and not as much ice is needed to keep the fish chilled. I can transport my catch in the bag alone or can throw it in a cooler for the long drive home.
Anyone have any thoughts/comments about this solution?
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
GregAndrew

Wink

Would not know anything about poop in a yak
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
Fishin Phil

Buy some Huggies or pampers apply to yellowtail before you put in kayak.