Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Dry Top Suggestions

Looking for a good less than $200 dry top. Preferably one that Velcros at the waste and has a hood.

Any suggestions?

http://www.campmor.com/kokatat-tempe...4&ci_sku=76061
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

I have a set of "Frog Toggs" kinda uncomfortable though, sounds like you are in a potatoe chip bag when you move, but they are affordable
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Siebler

Economical hooded jacket is the Splashdown ST. I like them a lot....

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Hooded/Detail

Iceman does some Kokatat stuff at SSB so im sure he will chime in as well.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
yaksailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Economical hooded jacket is the Splashdown ST. I like them a lot....

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Hooded/Detail

Iceman does some Kokatat stuff at SSB so im sure he will chime in as well.
I have a couple of the Stohlquist jackets. They have plenty of pockets for phones, etc. They're breathable, but only temporarily water-proof. Don't try to wear them in the rain, like I did.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post
I have a couple of the Stohlquist jackets. They have plenty of pockets for phones, etc. They're breathable, but only temporarily water-proof. Don't try to wear them in the rain, like I did.
I bought this jacket, and I do not like it. I was hooping last night and if the jacket gets wet enough the water soaks through. I'm just saying I was really cold last night and my rash guards were soaked. I was freezing.

I need to find some that actually keeps me from freezing!

It does a great job at keeping the wind off you!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
bigyearn
Junior

Red ledge

I got a set of pants and a jacket for just over 100.00 picked them up at sports authority. they are water tight and breathable. they work great. the seams have the backing glued to them instead of stitched so they resist a lot better. however if you leave water on them they will soak through. for around 100 bucks they are quite the deal.
bigyearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

pelagic

pelagic makes a huricane jacket that is waterproof, light and breathable and costs under 200. Don't know why the black one costs so much more then the blue one but if you wanna go black its 180. Navy blue is 120. I got pretty soaked by a t shark thrashin around on the side of my yak and not a drop got inside. After a full day of paddling I wasn't sweaty either

http://www.meltontackle.com/products...ne-jacket.html

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

By the way, the billed hood zips away ito the fleece lined turtleneck collar and all pockets are zippered and water proof. Velcro to tighten the cuffs and elastic tighteners around the waist

Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

staying warm is all about layering.

I stock these now, pants, long sleeve and socks

http://mysterioso.com/products.php?c=1&g=m
Old 10-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Nothing like a good pair of flannel longjohns and thermo socks!

Last edited by William Novotny; 10-23-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
lbsurf2ca

William,

Is the hood made out of the same material as the rest of the jacket? Thanks
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
William,

Is the hood made out of the same material as the rest of the jacket? Thanks
Yes it is and it has an elastic drawstring in the hood to pull it tight to your face. I where this over a t shirt and waders and its quite warm. The best part is just how breathable it actually is. I was trolling (by paddle not peddle!) From sun up till about 1pm and when it started to warm up I just unzipped the neck and was good.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I bought this jacket, and I do not like it. I was hooping last night and if the jacket gets wet enough the water soaks through. I'm just saying I was really cold last night and my rash guards were soaked. I was freezing. I need to find some that actually keeps me from freezing!
After years of freezing my ass off I finally went with a Kokatat Meridian drysuit for hooping, and underneath it a I wear a full polartec suit and polartec socks. The Goretex breaths but keeps water out and then polartec wicks your own sweat off your skin. If you have the cash go with Kokatat goretex, it really is the best.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
wiredantz

Thank you all for your replies. Alot of people have told me the Kokatat Goretex is the best.

It is the best protection, the only and the best lifetime warranty, the best cold water jacket, the best jacket to carry your kayak on your shoulders, the best jacket to make a hole like the size of the deep hole in australia in your pocket.

$500.00 JACKET!!!!!!!!

How am i suppose to explain that jacket to my wife!!!!

I know its the best.

Painfully the best

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
ericko

If she wants lobster then you need to be dry enough said....cant have a sick soggy nacho sitting at home.....hey santa came early
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
$500.00 JACKET!!!!!!!!

Yeah well... I don't pay retail.

I got my Meridian like new but used off ebay for $330.00. It wasn't listed as Gore Tex but I knew what it was. Watch ebay, know what you want and buy it when it's a good price. I just checked for deals and right now the exact same model new is being listed for $1050.00 on ebay. No thanks!!! I'll pass.

You just have to use your head and find a deal.

It's the same with the polartec. Kokatats polartec drysuit liner retails for $150, and on ebay you can get them for $100. This is for a well made but baggey polartec garment that truthfully looks like glorified long underwear.

On the other hand you can get a Henderson polartec wetsuit on ebay for around 30-40 bucks during the winter.

These are something like $250 new but people often buy them for Caribbean snorkeling trips, and then never use them again. So they end up on ebay cheap.

It will do everything the the Kokatat drysuit liner will do but it's built better with a nylon over-layer, and it actually fits and looks like a well made wetsuit. So you can actually wear it in the parking lot without looking like a complete dork, or even fish in it without the Meridian suit over it.

I wear these under my waders as well as with my Merdian drysuit. My take is they are not only warm, but if push came to shove and I sunk my yak I could kick off my waders and then swim several miles (probably into shore) in one without getting hypothermia as these suits offer the same protection wet or dry about the equivalent as 2.5mm neoprene.

I mean I hear you. Kokatat gear is expensive and it's just got more so with the gaining popularity of kayaking, but you can find deals if you look around, and bottom line Kokatat is great gear.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
SD92101
Junior

Check out Aquaskinz. Designed for surf and boat fishing.
SD92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
RK

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...1&pdeptid=2018

Im pretty sure OEX has it but its not on the KFS website
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

It will do everything the the Kokatat drysuit liner will do but it's built better with a nylon over-layer, and it actually fits and looks like a well made wetsuit. So you can actually wear it in the parking lot without looking like a complete dork, or even fish in it without the Meridian suit over it.

[/LEFT]
Yeah but the Kokatat drysuit has a cool weiner pocket for when the mornin coffee comes back to haunt you. Very utilitarian