Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
JeffB

New PB SandBass!

Started the day off by watching some brave kayakers get wish washed in the big surf at LJ. Honestly it was a little funny! The waves were relentless out there. Magic Seaweed called for 1' all week, but it was at least 3'+ this morning. After that I headed home and grab my books, then headed to school. I knocked out one of my final tests today, only two more to go! After that it is 3 weeks of straight fishing for me, 10 days of which will be spent in Canada fishing. Anyways, back to the story. Once I finished with school, I hurried home and swapped my wife back her car for my truck and headed to SI. I had one of my buddies meet up with me and another fellow BWE member. Started off fishing the high tide at 6:30ish in the grass for spots, then about 7:30ish moved out to deeper water. Started off with a little sculpin and a couple small sandies. About another hour into I got slammed. At first I was thinking it was a hali because I could not lift him off the bottom, then he started shacking his head and ass around like a pissed off bull. I slowly but surely got him up to the top. I just saw a big long flash of silver, I knew right away I had a toad. I got him up in the kayak and he spit the hook. I hugged onto him for dear life, quickly getting him into the bait tank. Looking at him in the tank I was guessing like 5lb-5 1/2lb.

We kept on fishing for a few more hours, made a move and caught a few more real nice ones. The bite was a little slow, but I only caught a few fish under two pounds. All the fish were legals tonight. Wound back up where we started at the end of the night and landed one more big toad. We called it quits early tonight because I am thinking LJ in the am. Once I got loaded up I had my buddy snap a pic of my fish and asked him how much he thought they weighed. He guessed 4lbs for the big one, I was thinking bigger. I took them over to the pier to clean them up and measured them. My two big ones were 22" and 23 1/2". So instead of cleaning them there, I took them home so I could weigh the big one. They came in at 5lb 2oz and a new PB of 6lb 10oz. I hate to say it to my buddy, but he was not even close. He did not catch too many fish, so maybe there was a hint of jealousy with his guess. I tried to have one of the guys at the pier snap a pic, but they could not figure out how to use my iphone. Oh well. Here is one pic that I took from the table. I caught a total of 16 fish tonight, not quit as good as I have been doing. The smallest fish I kept was 15". That will give you sort of a size comparison.
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffB; 05-16-2012 at 11:33 AM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
yakrider

congrats an the new PB!!!

your buddies post has the better picture!!!

holy hawgs, batman!!!

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
min-va

Nice!! Congrats!!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
xpresso2am

Outstanding catch Jeff!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
PapaDave

Hey Jeff, good to see you out there last night. My freind and I did a little exploring on the other side and found a productive area. I ended up with a couple of 3-4 pounders myself. We released many in the 14-15 inch range. We lost track of time and ended up getting back in around 3am.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Luis_Ochoa

Congrats on the PB...
Luis_Ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
JeffB

Yeah I saw you guys passing by the pier as I was headed home. Those are some nice size ones. I plan on hitting it up on the new moon. There should be some really nice currents ripping in and out. That is when the bite is going to be really hot.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Amish Ed

Great job on the PB.