Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Rj_Rum1
Junior

New guy to the kayak fishing game!

a new guy to kayak fishing. looking for some good advice for what kind of kayak i should get, and what kind of gear do i need once i get everything and get a chance to hit the water. hints and tips would be appreciated! thanks!
Rj_Rum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
raffman55

RJ, Hit up OEX and other shops, they have loaners to try. Try a few, your height n weight might come into play for comfort and workability. Once you decide on the yak, then you can figure out the bells and whistles. I have 2 Ocean Prowler 15's, and a Hobie 14' Mirage drive. If you want to sample these, let me know. I live in Chula Vista and can meet you on SD Bay to give em a shot. Let me know, Tom
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
echo1er

Welcome to BWE. OEX will help you pick a kayak out. Don't for get to get a good pfd and something to pump out the water from your Yak. Safety first. What is your price range and what area are you going to fish
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Rj_Rum1
Junior

Thanks for the tips guys...I heard about oex just never been there...I work part time at the sports authority in chula vista and there are a couple of perception sports kayaks I'm looking to get...any thoughts on them?...and ill probably take you on your offer one of these days raff...
Rj_Rum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj_Rum1 View Post
Thanks for the tips guys...I heard about oex just never been there...I work part time at the sports authority in chula vista and there are a couple of perception sports kayaks I'm looking to get...any thoughts on them?...and ill probably take you on your offer one of these days raff...
please no.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
slobslayer

save your money and invest it in a quality product. Whats your price range and what do you plan on targeting? Lakes, bays, beach launches etc.. If you give some more info we can steer you in the right direction
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
raffman55

IMO you'd be better off looking at a used Ocean, Malibu, or Hobie. Just a better product and made for fishing. Again, try a few test paddles, guys on here and other sites are always ready to help a newbie in the sport. You can find some great deals on this, and other sites as well. Give me a buzz, 619-585-0299. It's my home phone, my cell has developed a suicidal relationship with saltwater. Leave a message, I'll get back to you.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

this is my bro in law, we would basically be going out together around the bay and La Jolla
I already have my yak and its almost ready for fishing just need a bait tank and thats it still looking around
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

Welcome to the crew, just sit back relax and read up on some of the great info that has been posted here, lots of ideas and opinions, but lots of great stuff to get you informed, and yes go try out some different yaks at OEX, you can demo different models and styles, good luck and have fun
Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
waxon67
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
Welcome to BWE. OEX will help you pick a kayak out. Don't for get to get a good pfd and something to pump out the water from your Yak. Safety first. What is your price range and what area are you going to fish
I have a sit on top kayak. What is the pump for? Water that gets inside? I have heard this before but I have been out on my yak and I haven't had to pump water. Is it for shore launches and after coming through the breakers? I could use the insight, thanks.
waxon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
slobslayer

Yes some kayaks do leak a little bit, but I always have it for emergencies. Like a shark bites your kayak and you start taking on water or something ha. You wanna have a way to get the water out some guys have bilge pumps but a handpump should be ok
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Luis_Ochoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj_Rum1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
please no.

Perception sports isn't under wilderness system? because the pescador 12 is the same hull as a old tarpon 120

Last edited by Luis_Ochoa; 05-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Luis_Ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
jsigone

looks darn identical too me, nice streamline look to the tarpon systems.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Ochoa View Post
Perception sport isn't under wilderness system? because the pescador is the same hull as a old tarpon 120

Is the rubber upfront a standing platform?
didn't think those would carry that kind of weight?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Luis_Ochoa

its a silent traction from harmony gear, it helps to keep the noise down...
Luis_Ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Pinoyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Ochoa View Post
Perception sports isn't under wilderness system? because the pescador 12 is the same hull as a old tarpon 120

That's what I just bought. The only reason I bought it, other than the price was that it is basically a Tarpon 120 sold as a Pescador 12.
Pinoyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote