Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Sir LJ

3/4 day trip questions and suggestions.

Hey guys I'm finally gonna break down and take a boat trip in hopes of some tuna. I'm located in long beach area but have no problem driving to San Diego for the trip.
Any suggestions on which boat trip to take??? I would like a trip with reasonable service and reasonable price. I really want one that will take good care of my catch as well (it would suck for my meat to come back horrible).
Any advice is appreciate as well. This is my first trip and probably my last for awhile so I want it to be worth it.

I have a jigmaster on a 6ft rod 15-40lb rating.
I also have a pen senator 113h with 40lb mono and a 7ft rod not sure on rating but definetely stronger than the one on my jigmaster
I'm afraid my jigmaster won't stand up to the challenge but it's worth a try.
I will be taking the trip with my younger bro. Thanks everyone.
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
joezee1986

The San Diego out of Seaforth or Malihini out of H & M Landing!
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Raskal311

From thr way it's been going I would jump on any available boats asap! Good luck
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Widgeon

I got out on the SD yesterday and it was a blast!
They recommended 25-30# line or leader and a 1/0 hook for fly lining bait.
This combo worked nicely for me. I caught two on bait and one on a jig.

Most guys were using straight mono or at least a long (50-100yrds)mono top shot. Most of my reels have straight spectra to short leader, since I mostly fish the kelp, but it was all good.
I had 25# leader on my bait rigs and 40# on my jig.
On the two bait rigs I brought, I did tie on a longer than usual (8'-10') leader, since the kelp cutter action was not necessary.

Just make sure your reels are in good working order and the line is fresh.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
cell128
lizard king

When are you going? Went on a 3/4 out of long beach today with my daughter. Caught a billion sand dab. +1 rockfish. Some lucky guys caught wsb and 2 big halibuts. If u wanna carpool to San Diego we can split gas I'm in Lakewood.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Sir LJ

Thanks for the advice. I feel I should rent a rod and reel since we will only have one rod each. Or maybe I'll buy a stronger rod for my spinning reel.
Should I use a j hook or circle hooks? How do they store your catch once caught?
And I do not know when I will be booking the trip. Still trying to sort this out with work and school.
How much cash should I bring? How much is a good tip?
I guess I will have to spool some 25-30 lb mono onto my reels. Hopefully my mono to mono knot holds
I'm excited to say the least!!
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
CaliHalikiller

Went on the seatrek out of helgrens wfo bite I used 30-40 big game with a floro top shot landed my first bluefin 35# yellow fin 23# and Dorado 20# using 2/0 hooks fish id say ocean side or south is best bet
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
double p

the sd has an rsw tank for your catch, which is way better than your fish sitting on the deck or in a burlap bag. $10-20 for a tip is always a safe estimate, if they earn it, and the deck hands on the sd are good, they'll earn it. either hook will work fine. now you just need to find a day when they are not sold out and go get some tuna
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
ctfphoto

San Diego out of Seaforth for sure, Best captain, crew and boat.

I went out on Friday and came home with 5 YFT, the boat limited.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
inbx3

Any boat that has RSW is what I would choose. The SD or any overnight boat currently running 3/4 trips would be fine. Think about fish sitting on deck from 9am when you catch it until 5pm when it's filleted. Long time to sit. Now think about the fish in ice cold water that whole time. Same price for the trip but better end product. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck and have fun.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
yakman619
HMFIC

Even the extended half day on the Dolphin is killing the YFT....Just get out there while the getting is good.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
My second favorite boat out of San Diego is the "New LO-AN" which will be running 3/4 day trips from Fisherman's in the next few weeks (in between it's 1.5 day trips from Pt. Loma).
If I can schedule a pain shot in the near future I'll be tempted to on one of these trips.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
ctfphoto

Another really cool thing I noticed about the San Diego's Captain and Crew is that They made sure Everyone on the trip caught fish.

They took the few people who had caught no fish (not me luckily) and stayed with them until they landed tuna. I thought that was super cool of them to do.

I will be going out again on the San Diego in the very near future.

Last edited by ctfphoto; 08-25-2014 at 11:03 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Tapatio
Junior

new lo-an was killing them when i was out there last weekend, i believe it was like total of 192 yft and we metered bft out there to so theres a very fishy boat for you out of dana point
Tapatio is offline   Reply With Quote