Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
madscientist

11/6 It's a long way to the top, if you want to rock 'n roll

An iron man day. Launched around 5:45 to a beautiful La Jolla fall morning. Red sky and fog tendrils creeping down the canyons. Decent sets but big windows. Slight offshore had me to the buoy in no time, even as I played with the new FF. Figured to let the offshore breeze do the work and make some bait on the way out. NOT. No bait at the buoy, no bait inside, no bait at the hump, no bait around the corner, no bait in the bull kelp, not bait in the far kelp, NO FRICKIN BAIT! Offshore picked up, fog rolled in thicker, and the day began to seriously suck.

After three hours I started to head back in, trolling lures since I had no bait. Hit all the spots in reverse, and still NO FRICKIN BAIT. Went out to my rockfish spot to teach the new GPS and maybe find some squid, but just caught one little wormaccio that probably could have been bait, but went back down. Thought about throwing in the towel but had one spot left, so I motored back to the reserve line to a spot that has always held spanish for me. Sure enough, as I cross the canyon I mark some bottom clouds. First three drops, lizardfish. I have never been so happy to catch lizards, at least I can drag bottom.

Next drop a pair of small spanish, then I'm into greenies three at a time. 5.5 hours after launching and 10 miles covered, I finally have bait. Load on a dozen and head back out. Ran into Razorback and donated a pair of the green ones since he'd had the same luck outside with bait. We chatted a bit then I went out a little to drag for ling/hali while a flylined greenie was out.

Drop the bottom bait and was just trying to figure out if there was a drift (the offshore died around 10:00, dead calm till 1:00), when the flyline goes off. I was half stunned and a little slow on the uptake after the long morning and the six pack that had gotten me through it, so I engaged the drag before I pulled the rod out. Damn, now the rod is pinned in the holder. Wrestled it out, cleared the other line, and away we go. Long first run towards a buoy but the fish runs out of steam well short, and after that it was pretty much short pumps to color. Gaffed this bad boy about 7 hours after launch.

Razorback came over and kindly took pics. Amusingly, I was demonstrating the noodly tip of the rod I was using and broke it in half. Lucky it didn't snap while the fish was on. Fish went 25lb even. Really felt llike I earned this one. No other action on the way in, and no other signs of activity.

Mike Knott was at the landing and got to watch me roll it after some indecision as to whether I should surf or pull out. Fortunately, I just got wet, nothing lost.

A long tough day that ended well, and with points in hand I guess I can focus on the tasty critters this week since I've got nice bug bait. Ken, you hooping this week?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
aguachico

Saw you sitting on the water today. Saw good marks at the point and north of the pier. Just testing radar and navman - no fish for me today.
Nice YT.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Dr. Evil

Nice fish! Upgrade at FF eh? How do you like it so far?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Afran
fishy

Sounded tuff.
I only made that one green yesterday.

How's the new FF? Why the upgrade?
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
Dennis

OH, YEAH!!! Well deserved, Brad. I know, where has the bait been lately?
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
madscientist

The FF upgrade was not by choice. My fisheasy2 had been flakin for a while, but it finally cut out and, upon exploratory surgery, I discoved one of the pins was completely corroded away, despite my best efforts to seal the connection. That was already a replacement unit so I figured it was time to let it RIP. Got the Lowrance 337C-DF at west marine. Their extra warranty will probably come in handy, since no FF has lasted me more than 8 months yet (I got the 2yr extended, sucks for them :twisted: ). I was surprised how much more the color shows, and once I get all my triangulated spots into memory it will be great for "instrument only" GPS runs to various spots. Now I just have to remember to hit MOB every time I hook up. Or every time I watch Andy or Arne hook up 8) .

Hey Adi, do you have your lamb spots on a memory card? Perhaps a little more light and flaky for a trade? :lol:
Old 11-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Dammit Brad, you are making it hard for me to go north manana. Nice forkin forker.........Forkin A
Old 11-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
surfkast

Great fish! That's a well earned one as it was pretty slow today. Maybe if I stayed out 7 hours I might catch something. I did manage to find some bait this morning on the outside kelp off further south half way to windansea. Pockets of greenies and spanish would bubble up here and there.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
lamb

:lol:

I'm sick as a dog, I've bee throwing up, shittin' water the whole day, sleeping in the meantime.

I just lit up my first smoke, went to check what's going on.

Brad, get the fork outtahere!!!

I vote that we don't let Brad sign up next year. Maybe in animal category... We should work on tailoring the tourney to fit other humans. :lol:

You just made my day.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
steveooo

Gas to LJ round trip... $60
Cost per quarter at school... $1200
Miscelaneous items for tripevery time I go... $20
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Seeing you catch fish like you do and convincing myself that even though I cant afford it, I need to go down again... Priceless
Nice Work out there
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
ski

Nice fish Brad. Way to put the time in and reap the reward.
Nice looking FF too!
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Afran
fishy

KPBS

Thanks for the insight on the FF.

Side note:
I listened to your interview on KPBS. (I tune-in for my way to work so it wasn't a stretch). Nice Job with the interview. It was interesting to here about the Nano technology being used or created to fight cancer cells. Most interesting. My fiancee is a graduate of UCSD, so my interest in science has grown.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #13
vellocity

west marine warranty, worth EVERY PENNY

congrats again!
Andy and Vito's keeping the bite alive for us today(Monday), got a on the water phone call from him! look for his report! i'll try tomorrow AM
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
madscientist

I think I be doing a PM run tomorrow after dropping the hoops.