Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #21
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I don't see your SAVECAFISHING badge so should we start with you?

Thanks for proving my point.

As soon as webmasters start labeling posters based on how much money they give to any given organization, your going to have some posters using those labels against others to say they do not belong, do not think the right way, or that they should not be allowed to participate. I figured someone would use these things to beat others up on the board I just wasn't sure how soon.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
tacmik

Thank You Jim. And have a Merry Christmas not only to you, but to every body.
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #23
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If you’re being sarcastic you’re making fun of the situation.....
Errrrr.... Ehhhhhhhrrrrrmmmmm.... Not really!!

It's not about making fun of things at all.

Sarcasm is simply a way of speaking in which what is said is obviously the opposite of what is meant. It's based in Irony: the use of words to express something other than and usually the opposite of the literal meaning.

It's like saying: "OH!! F-n Awesome!!!" when you drop your keys off your kayak in the middle of La Jolla Canyon. Trust me.. I've been there, and though I might of said something along those lines it was not Awesome!!!

Similarly: saying that everyone that doesn't have an icon should be banned when obviously I do not have an icon myself is rather obvious sarcasm. It's not to be taken literally, it actually means the opposite. That I would be very much against banning or harassing people based on such criteria.

tacmik says he was was banned from another site when they said he didn't contribute. That's pretty F'd up in my book. I certainly hope things like that never happen around here.

Jim
Old 12-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #24
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Thank You Jim. And have a Merry Christmas not only to you, but to every body.
Cool!!! No worries on my end!!! Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to you and everyone else as well!!

Jim
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Billy V

Ok....I see this thread has taken several twisty turns, but before it crashes into a tree let me get it back on course.

First off this is not a competition and you will not be judged on whatever amount of donation, or level an Icon reflects.

Nobody is getting banned, harassed, judged, etc. regardless if they contribute or not.

There is no need to get defensive if you can not afford to donate any money.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of guys here have the means to make a donation and I'm sure they will once having found out how to contribute. The important thing is that we begin.

Its a worthwhile cause in which we all have a vested interest. This money will be used to Fund the Legal Challenge Against the MLPA.

-If it were up to me the Icon would simply say (Supporter) and not reflect a status level - but its not my gig.

Merry Christmas you salty dogs
Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post

Before everyone starts talking about banning members for not contributing money. They should take a moment to consider the ramifications of this action.
1 Where does it stop. i.e. we are having a tournament. if you are not there, you are banned.

2. At this time, maybe there are members who cannot even aford an extra five dollars. i.e. no job, trying to make ends meet. put food on the table and maybe, just maybe, buy their kids something to put under the tree if they could afford a tree in the first place.

3. How do you know that the person does not belong to several sites and may contribute thru another venue. I did this in the fight and was banned from another site as they said I didn't contribute. I e-mailed them back and explained I did support the cause but did it thru another site. I was told for a cash donation, I would be reinstated. I don't believe this is the way to go. Who has the right to dictate to others.

BWE has never banned anyone for not participating in the fight against the MLPA.
BWE has banned members for being assholes, this is their site, they make the rules and the judgements. In other words they have the right to "dictate to others", and they do, be it editing a post or the rare banning of a member.

Having said that,
I find it almost impossible to believe someone who fishes can't afford 5 bucks a month to protect that right. Money is tight for many, but 5 bucks?
5 bucks is a tip at the bait barge, 5 bucks is a couple quality hooks, 5 bucks barely gets me enough diesel to leave my driveway.

I will say the whole bronze-silver-gold etc. is silly to me, no ones business how much or little you give, how much you put in the collection plate is up to you.

To me it is about supporting an idea that has the potential to have some serious impact on our ability to fight the MLPA and future attacks on our rights to fish. Because there WILL BE future attacks!!, this chit is only the beginning.

If anyone cannot afford the $5 at this time, just copy the logo and put it up, this was never intended to be an idea that creates division among anglers, quite the opposite, it is a simple way for us to pool our monies to fight a VERY well funded enemy.

I saw a great line yesterday:
"you need a thousand people pissed off, Just to balance out one dollar that a politician raises"
(and if those thousand people can donate just $5, even better)
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post

I will say the whole bronze-silver-gold etc. is silly to me, no ones business how much or little you give, how much you put in the collection plate is up to you.
That's the reason mine says SUPPORTER and not bronze, silver, gold, platinum, titanium, aluminum, plastic or paper.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
bubblehide

I guess I'll go ahead and chime in. There is only one manner in which I donate monetary funds, and that is anonymously. Sure I've done it openly in the past, but frankly I got sick and tired of the constant mailers for more and more, needless to say the selling of my information to every registered non-profit. So a long time ago, I said to myself never again to open donations to any group.

I've been active in the communities I've lived my whole adult life, in numerous ways, from starting a youth horseback riding program, to adopting aging veterans i.e., regular visits. I don't give of myself for the recognition, social acceptance, nor any other self-interest reason; I simply do it because it's the right thing to do. And, from my perspective, Jim is spot on, the "signature" practice is divisive, something WE fisherman can't possibly benefit from.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
JPSURF

Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #30
GregAndrew

Call me Mr. divisive. I am sure that my $120 a year (that is 250 pennys a week) is going to break the back of the Blue Haired Lagunatics. So I have a right to feel superior about it. (insert definition of sarcasm here).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #31
PAL

Getting the word out - and encouraging involvement - has been a constant challenge during the MLPA struggle. These logos are the most effective tool I've yet seen employed.

During the enormous community effort it took to retain the better part of La Jolla, the value of showing your friends where you stand was demonstrated. When we held roll calls, more kayak anglers and free divers attended those miserable meetings.

The public's access to the state's natural bounty is at stake. It is a political battle. It won't be over as of Jan 1. Ultimately, anglers need unity, but it won't happen without a concerted effort to reach those who are unaware of the problem. These logos are an unobtrusive way to accomplish that goal.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #32
bigbarrels

done! Worthy cause for sure and maybe it may help......who knows

Last edited by bigbarrels; 12-25-2011 at 12:04 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #33
roadx

how long does it take to get something from save CA? received the paypal notice but nothing from save CA.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
how long does it take to get something from save CA? received the paypal notice but nothing from save CA.
Not sure what you mean Roadx,
If you are looking at receiving a logo from them, that's not how it is set up.
Bloody decks can and will give you the logo.

Or just copy mine or another one here, and put that in your sig line.

Big thanks for your support!
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Getting the word out - and encouraging involvement - has been a constant challenge during the MLPA struggle. These logos are the most effective tool I've yet seen employed.

During the enormous community effort it took to retain the better part of La Jolla, the value of showing your friends where you stand was demonstrated. When we held roll calls, more kayak anglers and free divers attended those miserable meetings.

The public's access to the state's natural bounty is at stake. It is a political battle. It won't be over as of Jan 1. Ultimately, anglers need unity, but it won't happen without a concerted effort to reach those who are unaware of the problem. These logos are an unobtrusive way to accomplish that goal.

Thanks Paul
Now that's a stamp of approval from someone who knows!
Big thanks again for all you have done to keep us informed and to guide us along in the fight against the MLPA.

Also
Tyler, Chris (Holy Mackerel) and Billy, the BWE crew of MLPA fight leaders!
We would be dealing with a lot larger MPAs if it wasn't for all your hard work, "Getting the word out - and encouraging involvement "

Merry Christmas to you guys and thanks!

Ignore the haters... somethings will never change
Old 12-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Ignore the haters... somethings will never change
I just love Christmas, the Holiday Spirit and love you see on the boards.

Spirit with Spirits it's always a interesting combination.

I don't think anyone is hating here (well maybe there's a tiny bit of hate from the same old few as you say)..all I see is a clever marketing ploy designed to get greater contributions for the PSO, and a debate about it's merits now that it's been put in action.

Everyone likes acknowledgment.I guess we all need mirrors to remind us who we are. I'm no different. Obviously some want others to know exactly what they've given, exactly how much they have contributed to the cause, and they see it as some kind of badge of honor. Damn!!! If that's what they need to get motivated: More power to them!!!!!

Personally I'd say it's unnecessary as we're all fisherman, kinda in the same boat, and most of us who really care already support the people who we feel are working for our behalf. I mean I know I do and I imagine you do as well. I just personally don't feel it's necessary for me to wear it on my sleeve or post it in my signature line, but if it works for you ..Go For It!!!

I guess it's all about how you look at it. To me this discussion reminds me of something I heard in church a long time ago. Our new fresh out of seminary preacher was giving a very well researched and thought out sermon on tithing. His second one in as many months. He talked about the merits, the biblical precedent, how that giving ten percent of your income would reward you ten fold. It went on and on and after a good while one of the old timers sitting next to me turned to his wife and said: "I could use a little less talk about who's given what, and a little more talk about loving the Lord." Without being self righteous, and in the best of the Holiday spirit I gotta say: Amen to that one.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-26-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #37
roadx

Quote:
Not sure what you mean Roadx,
If you are looking at receiving a logo from them, that's not how it is set up.
Bloody decks can and will give you the logo.

Or just copy mine or another one here, and put that in your sig line.

Big thanks for your support!
Merry Christmas!
thanks got it, just assumed it was a link from them (save ca)
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #38
lbsurf2ca

Done! Done! Done! Goonies never say DIE! Keep fighting
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #39
bellcon

Right On guys!
Kayakers never say die!
Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #40
Adam12

Done!
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote