Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Smokeybear
Junior

DAIWA STTLD20H

Hi everyone,
New member here, looking forward to learn a few thing here, I fished from a kayak a few times, mostly rockfish, calico and halibut.
I was thinking to try YT and WSB with a Daiwa SttLD20H reel.

This reel has small spool with capacity of 200 yards of #50 or 260 yards of #40 spectra braid. Drag 13.2lb strike and 22lb max. 6.3:1 gears.
What size braid and top shot should I use?
Smokeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Smokeybear
Junior

Unhappy NEWBIES ARE NOT WELCOME?

WOW 140 viewers welcoming the new member.
There's a lot of nice and friendly people here, very kind of you!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

Go with what you are comfortable using. Don't fish with anything you can't break off while balanced on a kayak. My personal choice would be 40# braid and flouro topshot if you are looking to use braid
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Dannowar

Try the search function.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Smokeybear
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Try the search function.
Is that how you welcome someone new to this site?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Smokeybear
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Go with what you are comfortable using. Don't fish with anything you can't break off while balanced on a kayak. My personal choice would be 40# braid and flouro topshot if you are looking to use braid
How easy was that.
There still good people out there,

Thank you!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Smokeybear
Junior

Quote:
=Hunters Pa;201881]Go with what you are comfortable using. Don't fish with anything you can't break off while balanced on a kayak.
This is a very good advise, I know a lot of people are fishing with #65 spectra, what's the best method to break this size braid? I'm a big guy I can break 40 or 50 mono when I'm standing on ground or a large size boat by pulling hard with a wrapped rug on my arm, a kayak is very different because you have no way to hold the kayak from moving when you're pulling, I guess if you can't break the line there's no other solution the using a knife.
Can you break #65 braid setting the reel drag to the max I would think it will slip or it my damage the reel?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeybear View Post
How easy was that.
There still good people out there,

Thank you!
Chill out bro your post has been up for a day! Most people who look at posts don't ever reply, because they are lurkers.

With regard to your question, IMO a 20 is too small. 200yds is great, but after you tie off and break off a few times and lose some of that line, you might be a little short for a big yellow. A lot of guys, myself included, run 65# spec for the kelp. Top shot should not be used for a kelp cutter rig. You should run straight spec to a ~3-4ft flouro leader, prob 30 or 40#. If you have too much flouro, you wont be able to cut through the kelp.

Rod choice for spectra is very crucial. You need a really noodley rod because braid and flouro have no stretch. A big seabass will do huge headshakes and with no elasticity in the line, they come unbuttoned real easily.

If you're not near kelp, you don't really need spectra. Stick w 30 to 50 lb mono.

To Dannowar's point, there are LOTs of threads on BWE pertaining to this subject. Try look brah!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
This is a very good advise, I know a lot of people are fishing with #65 spectra, what's the best method to break this size braid? I'm a big guy I can break 40 or 50 mono when I'm standing on ground or a large size boat by pulling hard with a wrapped rug on my arm, a kayak is very different because you have no way to hold the kayak from moving when you're pulling, I guess if you can't break the line there's no other solution the using a knife.
Can you break #65 braid setting the reel drag to the max I would think it will slip or it my damage the reel?
No way you can break off 65# braid. Your flouro knot will be the first thing to go. Ive even snapped 80lb swivels before the spec snaps.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
oneyedeer

Quote:
nice pair of pliers does the trick
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

You need to sloooow your roll HOMIE!

You want the people here help you, that's not the attitude to have. Im sure the truly nice people here that want to help you... don't appreciate your sarcasm.

I know I don't....but I'm not nice.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
food4less562

Quote:
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Smokeybear
Junior

Chill out? HOMIE? Classic trolls that when someone disagree they show up.
Thanks don't need your attitude. If you don't have anything good to say please stay OUT! Go pick on someone else.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
Apex

Not off to a good start I see
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
bosshoss

" What you talking about Willis "
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
RobFish
Massive Member

From the top…
-Welcome Mr. Smokey
-have some patience
-relax a bit, as in lighten up. Not being sarcastic. Roll with it. Breathe.
-you asked a question, expect all sorts of answers. Some will be positive, some negative, some funny, some sarcastic, some beneficial, etc.
-20 sized reels are fine. Spooled with 50 braid and a 30/40 flouro topshot, you're going to be fine for most fish out there. Remember that you're on a kayak, not a boat. Line capacity matters when you're on a boat as you need to stand your ground, but on a kayak, tighten the drag a bit, and enjoy the sleigh ride. Mr. fishy has to tow your ass around, and they tire out eventually.
Lots of good answers already posted. The search one was more than valid. Noodley rod too. Kelp cutting. No stretch. These are all great tips.
Welcome to the forum. Now go fish.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
food4less562

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
" What you talking about Willis "
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
food4less562

Quote:
Thanks don't need your attitude. If you don't have anything good to say please stay OUT! Go pick on someone else.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #19
Smokeybear
Junior

Seriously some of you need to grow up or get a job, how miserable you have to be to mistreat and make fun of someone because he's a newbie, no I don't kiss anyone Arse, but I'm aware of trolls in every forum, most of them are young drunks and pot head losers which they just show up like some online thugs with no respect for others.

All those stupid pics that you guys uploaded tells me how immature you really are. I'm sure there are some intelligent members in here except the trolls posting nothing but stupidity.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
What?!?!? Who disagreed? I totally answered your question?!? How are Tony and I trolls? You take offense to that, I think your skin might be a little too thin for internet message boards.

You sound like the kind who will fish la jolla two or three times then quit all together. Good luck buddy.