Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
JDW

Missing kayaker in Mission Bay!

I was kayaking in Mission Bay but left around 1 P.M. The young man was last seen around 3 P.M. ...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26354787/s...in-mission-bay
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
lookoutdj

That's very sad... It sounds like he might not have been wearing his PFD.
lookoutdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
JDW

The news report wasn't very specific. Apparently his kayak capsized and he was left holding his PFD. For some reason he let go of the PFD and went under, never to surface again.

It freaks me out because It seems like such a preventable accident. I used to volunteer at the National VA Summer Sports Clinic, Kayak Venue which was hosted by MB Yacht Club. We had many disabled Veterans of different abilities from quadriplegic to physically fit with traumatic brain injury cases.

We never had any injuries other than an accidental paddle smack during kayak football. After reading about this poor guy, it seems we were really lucky!

Jess
Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yea this sucks. For the sake of your family and friends, wear your PFD always. It's not too hot, it's not uncomfortable, and it doesn't make you less macho.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
I was kayaking in Mission Bay but left around 1 P.M. The young man was last seen around 3 P.M. ...

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26354787/s...in-mission-bay
Sadly, seems like this is now a recovery.
https://twitter.com/CBS8/status/503385129117421569
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
johnnyblaze2009

My sisters friend had her company party at a resort in Mission Bay, the same place I guess this guy took a kayak out. He was from what I understood an exchange student from Ghana or something like that- anyways I heard he was wearing a PFD but it was just the neck collar style and I don't think it was on properly. I guess some kids seen him flip his kayak and paddled towards him and tried offering him their paddle to grab on but by that time he slipped from his pfd and went down. It sucks to hear about situations like this but also how it could be prevented. I heard that same resort let out a kayak with 5 kids on it. Because there was only one person in charge of what's coming in or going out- accountability has to become a priority. And if PFDs are not properly worn, should there be a secondary device if a kayaker/paddle boarder was to fall in. I would think floating life rings or something similar should be on rental equipment just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Siebler

Daniel and I watched the recovery of the body earlier this morning. Sad reminder of why you need to wear your PFD.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Daniel and I watched the recovery of the body earlier this morning. Sad reminder of why you need to wear your PFD.
ya super sad. news just showed the recovery and stated he was not wearing a pfd.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
JDW

I read he was a 17 year old exchange student from Ghana. He rented a kayak from the Catamaran and was not wearing a PFD. If KUSI TV news is correct, He was 6'9", a basketball player.

So sad.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
buddha

What I fail to understand is that he didn't know how to swim.

How can anyone that doesn't know how to swim operate a kayak without having his PFD on?

I also wonder what kind of instructions he received at Catamaran in regards to safety if any.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Underestimated...

The bottom line of the story is, it's a large body of water and anything can happen. People go out there, unprepared, and beyond their capabilities all the time. Our beaches and bays are an incredible source of recreation, but it is the wilderness and it is not to be underestimated. Please, lets all learn from this young man. Be safe out there!

Janine
Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
johnnyblaze2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post

How can anyone that doesn't know how to swim operate a kayak without having his PFD on?

I also wonder what kind of instructions he received at Catamaran in regards to safety if any.

He was a guest of someone's for a company party at that resort. He wasn't issued a kayak, when one came available, one person got off and another got on, the pfd was tucked under the bungee straps but was not the correct size for him. It was for a child. But he chose to take the kayak out anyways and with inexperience in kayaking and swimming paid the ultimate price. My parents and sister were guests as well to that event. They seen the guy getting his face painted that day.

johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:

You could be Michael Phelps, but get hit & knocked out by a drunk on a jetski or in a boat and you are done.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze2009 View Post
He was a guest of someone's for a company party at that resort. He wasn't issued a kayak, when one came available, one person got off and another got on, the pfd was tucked under the bungee straps but was not the correct size for him. It was for a child. But he chose to take the kayak out anyways and with inexperience in kayaking and swimming paid the ultimate price. My parents and sister were guests as well to that event. They seen the guy getting his face painted that day.

My life vest is one thing I never take off, unless im taking off my sweater( or putting one on). I then put it back on immediately. I always make sure my life vest is in Great Condition too.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
You could be Michael Phelps, but get hit & knocked out by a drunk on a jetski or in a boat and you are done.
That could be true of anyone.

What is your point?

He needed to put his pfd on and it was unfortunate that he was not briefed on this as well as someone checking to make sure that he had the right sized pfd and wore it the entire time.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I would bet that the Catamaran has changed their policy on rentals or improved their training to employees. Too bad they lost a client to learn a lesson they already knew. Always wear a life vest and always buckle up. There ARE no excuses.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
momo fish

Read again. He is saying even the best swimmer needs to have a pfd on.

Quote:

What is your point?

He needed to put his pfd on and it was unfortunate that he was not briefed on this as well as someone checking to make sure that he had the right sized pfd and wore it the entire time.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Hunters Pa

Quote:

What is your point?

Point is, being a great swimmer will not save you if some jackass runs into you and knocks you out.

I have a wife and two kids that count on me coming home from the few trips I actually get to make. I wear my PFD from when I am launching until I am back on shore
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
oneyedeer

just remember to do your research not all pfd are made equal.....some pfd are made so that it will automatically right you up if you are unconscious others does not
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #20
jorluivil

Why do we turn every thread into a pissing contest?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote