Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
MrPatrick

Questions about flying and what can be in your carry on

We're going to the Florida keys in September. I know that any hooks, tools or knives need to be checked. I will be bringing two reels. Do they need to be checked and in my main luggage or can I put them in a carry on?

Our friends live in Florida and we will be using their boat to fish and travel between islands. I am so amped about catching new species!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
oneyedeer

you can and should carry on your reels
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
bmercury

I recently took my reels as a carry on to the bay area. No issues with the reels at all. On the way there, southwest lost my rods, terminal tackle, and all other checked baggage and I didn't get it until the next day. Pretty sure that a 9ft rod tube covered in bright red "fragile" stickers doesnt get "lost", someone probably stashed it somewhere with the hopes of smuggling it home later.

Also the TSA had opened my rod tube and molested everything as if plastic was somehow impenetrable to xrays and other imaging techniques. Some of the guides on one of my phenix rods seemed possibly slightly tweaked but I didn't bother to dispute it. On the flight back southwest magically came up with a $75 "oversized luggage" fee that was not charged at all the first time.

Next time I will just take reels as carry on and fedex the rods.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Rambo

Last year I took my rods and reels to Kuai, HI on Delta Airline. No problem with carrying your reels but terminal tackle should be place as a check in or with your other luggages. My adjustable rod tube was under the oversize limit cause I only took 2 piece rods instead of my 1 piece rods. Check the oversize limit height so you could aviod the charge. Yes TSA will check the rod tube to see if you stuff anything down there so pack gears that is useful to handle the fish not to the extreme. It was $25 to check in my rod tube on delta. But it's always nice to be near water when your traveling and trying to catch new species. Tight line.......
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
mclanea

Here's the info from the TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...hing-equipment
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
bubblehide

I have flown international with miedo results. At times I have had no is subes. Otero times I have Belén for ed to check my reels or remove the lÃXne.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
MrPatrick

Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Wintersun
Junior

Miami is the very worst airport in the USA in terms of theft from checked luggage. Check only what you can afford to lose.

I had a very strong Plano case that you could stand on and it would not flex and the baggage handlers in Miami crushed it completely. Fortunately it was on the homeward leg of my trip back into the USA.

Carry the reels on board and you can also take multi piece rods in a case onto the plane as well. I would also carry on my pliers and line cutters, etc.

I would check at the other end as to whether they can supply you with a knife and tackle as it is usually included in the charter price.

With conventional reels you can even carry them onto the plane in the pockets of a jacket and not have them count as part of the "carry on". These also do not have to be gate checked when you get to a smaller plane to make the last hop if that is part of your travel.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote