Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
MattRabasco

How about a fishing report!

The other day was a good day! I hit the shores at about 5:00am. It was raining at my house up in the mountains. It was humid and cloudy at the beach, calm and glassy, with little swell. There were only two other kayakers out and one small boat with a trolling motor. It was super calm, super quiet, real mellow. Summer time should always be like this! I have not fished much this summer in La Jolla, last week I got lucky and got a nice yellow in the am. with a lot more people out. This day was much different, mid week and no people – you got to love LJ when it is empty in the summer. There was lots of popping bait, but no squid. Made the biggest most beautiful sardine I have ever seen, a full 12” golden beauty. On he goes to the dropper loop. Fished it for at least an hour with nothing much happening. Bait was still popping, still kept trying to make squid with no luck. There was a light southwest drift, not much current. It was real calm and quiet. Made a Spanish put it on the flyline. Not much was happening. It got to be about the time when you start to think about what to do, bail, move? I made a Greenie and swapped it out for the Spanish. I moved back to my spot and I see off in the distance at the back of the small skiff some commotion on the water. Actually heard it first and then saw it. I love it when it is so quiet you can hear what is happening on the water. A few birds and a few boils, too bad it was so far off – 300 yards or so. Thought about moving and chasing after them but it was not needed. The dropper loop rod in the front rod holder goes off ZZZZZZZZZZZZ! And at the same time the flyline goes off right behind me in the rear rod holder, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Talk about your adrenaline going from 0-60 in 2 seconds flat. I picked up the rod in front of me flipped it in to gear and get smoked for a good run. I engaged the reel behind me, and it starts burning drag and turning me sideways and pulling me backwards. The fish on the front was going out and away and the fish in the back was going for the kelp. I focused on getting the one I was fighting in the boat and left the other one in the holder taking drag. Came up and thought it might be a shark it was going across the surface, not up and down like they usually do. Saw a beauty yellow tail and gaffed it to my lap. I grabbed the other rod and untangled it from the rods in the rod holders in back of me and made quick work of the other one. Fun times for sure! I was not expecting this to happen today! Fish went 27 and 28lbs. This is the type of day that keeps me coming back day after day and year after year. It makes the long dry spells between good fish fade away. You just never know what is going to happen off of La Jolla; you might just have it virtually to yourself and you might just get a double! It might be dead one minute and blow wide open the next!

Spent some great days fishing up in Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast this summer. Super Kayak friendly place; unbelievable King Salmon fishing, Lings are pests as well as giant rockfish – A mini Alaska for sure.

Have fun out there!

MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Deamon

very cool story. great fortune as well. thanks for sharing! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Big Wave Dave

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. I need to get back out there. Been too busy lately.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Outstanding! Excellent work on landing both beauties.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Best read I've had in a while. 0-60 that fast!! Nice job. Great write up. Thank you.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Dirty Curti

Twins...I love twins. Well done!

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I don't know if it was talent, luck or any combination of the two but that's a Damn impressive haul right there. Congrats on the deuce yellers!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That must mean the RED soup is gone. About time some good fish are back. Congrats on the twins!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
easyday

Very nice
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRabasco View Post
Spent some great days fishing up in Shelter Cove on the Lost Coast this summer. Super Kayak friendly place; unbelievable King Salmon fishing, Lings are pests as well as giant rockfish – A mini Alaska for sure.
Did you time it right for ab season?
Great place indeed...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Poxy Boggards

Congrats on the double.

How far did you have to go out of Shelter Cove to get into the Salmon, and what did you use to catch them? Lures, Bait?
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
blitzburgh

Great report! Nice feesh!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
iethinker

Thanks for the report. One on the top and one on the bottom at once is interesting.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
philr21

Awesome.....
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
rhyak

Awesome little yellow action and some Pink Meat as well.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote