Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
todd one

SD Bay 9/12

Halibut are still hanging around the bay. I got four and released three yesterday. Nothing too large though, 22 to 24 inches. The large one are definitely getting hard to find. I on my way out a power boat passed me, and I had a feeling where he was going. when I got to my sweet spot there it was, with one guys rod bent all the way over and buddy standing by with gaff. They landed a nice one. It was every bit of 30lbs. So there are out there still. Good luck if you're out there chasing them.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Ggiannig89

thanks for the heads up. thinking about heading out this weekend
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
thanks for the heads up. thinking about heading out this weekend
No problem. Just keep moving around on the North Island side with a dine down there or a plastic bouncing of the bottom and you should get bit.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
el pescator

Still working hard for my first flatty... Fished SD Bay today and did the usual Spotties and Rays. Where the heck do I go to get a Hali?? I've been fishing from Shelter Island to the point and back recently and off Coronado today by the Navy base piers. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I've never even gotten a short. Please advise
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Ggiannig89

I'm no professional at catching butts but what kind of set up are you using?
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pescator View Post
Still working hard for my first flatty... Fished SD Bay today and did the usual Spotties and Rays. Where the heck do I go to get a Hali?? I've been fishing from Shelter Island to the point and back recently and off Coronado today by the Navy base piers. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I've never even gotten a short. Please advise
It sounds like you're using dead cut bait if you're catching rays. Not saying you can't catch a Hali on dead bait, but live bait is the hot ticket. Sardines will get the larger onesi. Drop it down with a 3 or 4 ounce weight and slow troll around, and you should get bit in the locations you've been fishing.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
I'm no professional at catching butts but what kind of set up are you using?
I use either a three way swivel set up or a dropper loop. I don't think it matters too much. As long as you have a dine kept down with a three to four oz weight, you're in the game.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
el pescator

I've been using swim baits and love sardines. I've been catching rays on those believe it or not. The sardines are huge right now. 8-9" I've been using a dropper loop rig on a slow troll and fishing my swim baits as I drift. Sounds to me like I'm approaching this the right way just haven't been bit. A couple questions:
When is the best tide/time to fish for flatty's?
Are they in the bay year round?
Will they hit these large sardines?

Thanks for the responses all!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
janines.fishtales@cox.net

'buts in the bay

Hey El Pescator,

Yes, I believe they are there all year long. In fact I am looking forward to the fall when there is a lot less boat traffic. I have had some pretty good success with the 'buts in SD Bay. I think the incoming tide is best, but more important than that is ANY moving water is good. Good because it helps to cover more ground, important for Halibut, and good too, because I just feel like the fish are more active in moving water. I only use Sardines. Don't be afraid of big ones either. The 30# I got ate a 'dine that was almost 10". With that said, you have to let them eat it, the bigger the bait, the more that is true. I like between 40-60' of water to fish Halibut, although I am told they are in the shallow water too. I like Carolina rig for Halibut, but I keep meaning to try a torpedo weight on the bottom, dropper loop on top...

Go get em!

Janine
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
el pescator

Thanks Janine! Looking forward to getting out there and trying again...