Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Jizzling

Ventura County/Santa Barbara Area

Just out of curiosity, has anyone kayak fished out in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area? I haven't stumbled upon much information about how the fishing is out there and wanted to see if anyone here has tried.
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
onthewater

I know a lot of kayakers go a little bit south to Leo Carillo (sp?) and can sometimes get into some nice fish. It can be tough to launch, depending on your skill level. Additionally, there are many coastal kelp beds out of SB/VTA that are decent for the usual reef suspects. Some guys like to go north and kayak fish out of Gaviota as well. Let us know what kayak you got, what species you are targeting and your skill level and I'm sure a few more people can chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
domtesta27

I fish out of either Malibu or north Ventura once or twice a week weather permitting.

The fisherman are a little more tight lipped in this area, especially in Malibu, but there is still some really good fishing. Try and meet up with some of the locals and have them take you out the first couple of times.

I know we're all waiting to start seeing sport boats out of County Line on the webcam and then all hell is gonna break loose.
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
2-Stix

Everything above is about it. Its bigger waves and spookier waters up here. Gaviota will blow 90 mph, SB is pretty tough to get the good spots, Ventura and Oxnard are pretty dead, and Malibu is the easy pickings with very very tight lips. As Dom said, look for boats. The rest is up to you making bait and being ready to go. Be ready to rock the shore breaks...they will whoop your ass.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
cesar74

x3

Gaviota was very sharky (GWS) last year & i wouldn't be surprised if they came back this year. Goleta is a good spot & an easy launch. Ventura,Oxnard,& Hueneme ehh! i really don't fish it. County line is good but you really have to time those waves. Buddy up & get out there, its going to be another great year.
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Jizzling

Thanks for the info everyone. I wanna keep my options open to anything and everything rather than the same areas. I've done a lot of pier fishing in goleta and Ventura growing up up until now with my kids and I've always notice the conditions aren't the best. I can imagine the amount of skill level required to be able to handle it all.
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #7
SABA

Arco Island with the pier to it Is nice. Lot of Thrashers around at times!!! seen small Mako too. Easy lunch from Oil Piers or Sea Cliff. For south County line. The boats have been hitting that for a few weeks now. For the Tax collectors. Late August a Kayaker was hit at Summer Land. That was the farthest south that the Grey whites attacked. But Lompoc area is bad for Grey Whites
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote