Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Southman

HOLY MOLA - Newport report

Launched Wed. from CG station at Newport. Although I've never caught any reds I thought I'd try my luck. So I headed out about a mile or so into 160-190 ft. of water. I don't actually know if this is the right area or not, but from what some of the other posts have indicated I thought I was at least in the right vicinity. The FF showed nada as I went all through the area with frozen squid as the faire du jour. Oh well, still a beautiful, calm day.

Then off in the distance I see a fin working on top of the water. I'm thinking shark. So I make my way toward it and as I got close to it the sun was kind of glaring on it, but it looked just like a great white's head. I thought, ah not so bright of an idea. But as I got along side it I saw a pretty big freakin' mola.

I looked it up and it also goes by sunfish. Didn't know any were around this area. Do people catch these? Are they edible? I managed a pic.
Attached Images

Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

There's been a lot of those around lately...bad luck to kill molas or so they say...I've heard of guys who tried them, and they said they were no good to eat. I think I'll take their word for it...
Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Dail14

They are supposed to be related to puffer fish which everyone should know ,in case they catch one, are poisonous. Molas may not be poisonous like their cousins by why risk death. They eat jellyfish which we really do not want to overpopulate the area. I have heard of some people catching them on live squid but I would think because of their main diet it would be difficult to legally catch one. My overall point is that its best to leave them at sea.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
philr21

Awesome.... don't imagine even if you hooked one, that you could ever have the leverage in a kayak to pull one up without assist. Those things are huge.... would be fun trying though, even just for the release.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
They are supposed to be related to puffer fish which everyone should know ,in case they catch one, are poisonous. Molas may not be poisonous like their cousins by why risk death. They eat jellyfish which we really do not want to overpopulate the area. I have heard of some people catching them on live squid but I would think because of their main diet it would be difficult to legally catch one. My overall point is that its best to leave them at sea.
Thus makes sense. Ive been seeing a ton of small orangishjellyfish in the water in newport lately

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
philr21

I've eaten it in Japan, was quite delicious. If anything were to be poisoness, it would be the guts, which you aren't planning on eating anyway. This fact is disputed though, some say yes and others say not.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
TJones

ran a post recently

no pics . i hooked one at county on a jig with double squid . my first thought , "here it is , my biggest wsb of the season " .5- 8 minutes in , i had my doubts . it was a clean hook with treble , right in lips or mouth . the first initial run was kinda like a wsb , but halfway through the fight, it was like being hooked into a trash can . greg said he has hooked more than one out there . beautiful fish , better left out at sea . .released unharmed . more importantly , not having rolled over in the process .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote