Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #21
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
lighter rods definitely put the "sport" in sport fishing. No doubt on the lighter tip keeping hooks from tearing out. I remember one morning in a squid bite seeing tons of hooks pulled on those WSB mouths, guys horsing em like they would a big YT.
yep I hear you I use trevala rods rated for 20-50 have a lot of bend . But Greg’s Looks like a Calcutta on a bass rod. Hook a 100#+ thresher it’ll smoke those gears. I’ve done it with tuna but I guess those salmon rods are meant to bend like that for downriggers
Old 02-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
Iceman
Administrator

one thing I have noticed is with bigger fish sometimes the harder you pull the harder they do.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
h2ofishfo

100% on time on the PRIDE I had my line wrapped with some googan on 50# BFT . He literally cut my line and had me hold the spectra in my hand with the fish on it . He said what ever you do don’t pull and it just stayed there in a stale mate till he respliced my line pretty trippy
Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #24
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
yep I hear you I use trevala rods rated for 20-50 have a lot of bend . But Greg’s Looks like a Calcutta on a bass rod. Hook a 100#+ thresher it’ll smoke those gears. I’ve done it with tuna but I guess those salmon rods are meant to bend like that for downriggers
I have been spooled exactly 1 time on my Calcuttas, and never had the drags burn up on a fish. I have done the 100#+ Thresher, and probably well over 200# BSB on those little Calcuttas. But those are inshore species I am not interested in targeting anyway. The rods I use are not intended for downrigger fishing either, but I can understand your confusion.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
GregAndrew

Addendum

A really cool addendum to the story (for a few of us at least). I just got this email today from Mitchell Masuda at Hubbs. It has inspired me to keep helping out on the WSB release program. Btw, I am going to have to talk to the guys I turned the "whole head" in to about the missing otoliths.

Mitchell Masuda
Today at 4:43 PM
To
GregBarnicoat

CC
Mike Shane

Message body

Greg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit the white seabass that you caught on 1/28/18 for our study. I have great news; the fish was tagged and is our oldest fish recovered to-date! It came from a spawn in August of 1997 and released near Dana Point in February of 1998, making it a little over 20 years old when you caught it.

I was wondering if there was any chance you had more information on the fish, such as weight or length, that would be useful for us. I also wanted to ask if there was any way for us to obtain the otoliths that you removed from the fish. They are very useful in obtaining more information about the fish as well as looking at historical information. Of course, I can happily send you replacements if you would like. We would also like to put a story together about this catch and would love to see any photos you have of the fish or you catching it to use for our Facebook page or maybe Western Outdoor News.

If you would like to chat, please feel free to give me a call on Monday during work hours at the number listed below. I look forward to hearing back from you and congratulations again on the amazing catch!

Thank you,

Mitchell
Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #26
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Great catch Greg and I agree those Calcuttas are great for our fisheries. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #27
ful-rac
Emperor

This is great news for the program!

We always turn in our heads with fingers crossed, hoping we get a tagged one. All I gotta say is wow! Congrats....CHAMP!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
Saba Slayer

It looks like karma works...all those WSB you've released in the last few years have paid off in a big way.
Thanks for turning in the head and all the work you've done for the WSB project Greg...!!!
\

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #29
lamb

Very cool Greg
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #30
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
A really cool addendum to the story (for a few of us at least). I just got this email today from Mitchell Masuda at Hubbs. It has inspired me to keep helping out on the WSB release program. Btw, I am going to have to talk to the guys I turned the "whole head" in to about the missing otoliths.

Mitchell Masuda
Today at 4:43 PM
To
GregBarnicoat

CC
Mike Shane

Message body

Greg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit the white seabass that you caught on 1/28/18 for our study. I have great news; the fish was tagged and is our oldest fish recovered to-date! It came from a spawn in August of 1997 and released near Dana Point in February of 1998, making it a little over 20 years old when you caught it.

I was wondering if there was any chance you had more information on the fish, such as weight or length, that would be useful for us. I also wanted to ask if there was any way for us to obtain the otoliths that you removed from the fish. They are very useful in obtaining more information about the fish as well as looking at historical information. Of course, I can happily send you replacements if you would like. We would also like to put a story together about this catch and would love to see any photos you have of the fish or you catching it to use for our Facebook page or maybe Western Outdoor News.

If you would like to chat, please feel free to give me a call on Monday during work hours at the number listed below. I look forward to hearing back from you and congratulations again on the amazing catch!

Thank you,

Mitchell
Awesome Addendum ! Thanks for sharing that.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #31
GregAndrew

Ps, the stones are being recovered.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #32
summers in kuwait

Such a cool post and story Greg. Thanks for sharing this!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #33
Tekniks

cool post! what ff are you using if ya dont mind me asking
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #34
GregAndrew

HDS 7 touch
Old 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #35
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Glad I was part of Hubbs....San Diego bay.

Even tho I didn't get to finish my term.
I was diagnosed with colan cancer right in the middle of my term and had quit due to stomach infection.
I would go before sunrise and feed them in the dark.
Those little baby's would boil on the surface, big time.They wouldn't do that in the day light.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:34 AM   #36
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Fish eating the food that falls through the net, that holds baby white seabass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
It looks like karma works...all those WSB you've released in the last few years have paid off in a big way.
Thanks for turning in the head and all the work you've done for the WSB project Greg...!!!
\
Mullet, sardines, jacksmelt, spot fin Crocker. spoted bay bass.In San Diego bay.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 03-31-2018 at 05:45 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote