Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 12/21 am

Got up and checked the pier reports. Looked like it wasn't getting worse so I went ahead and headed down. Got to the shores and found..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

1ft surf.:roll:

Easy dry launch and paddled out, wondering where the swell was. At the yellow can it finally kicked in, nice long period rollers. Incredible breaks all around the point, some starting in the kelp. Got to the squid spot and found my new pinneped friends at work, so I joined in and loaded up on a couple dozen squirts for bait and dinner. Caught a few big ones, close to 12in, that will become stuffed calamari. No wind, no current, no fish, lots of squid eggs. Moved around the usual haunts but it felt like yesterday, really quiet. Metered a 14+ft swell, pretty cool. Almost lost site of Mt. Soledad in the deeper troughs. Sun came out and it was a beautiful paddle in to find a wicked rip current at the launch. Water inside was predictable stirred up. May take a few days for things to settle back down.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

The Madman!!!

I had a delivery in the area and brought the camera. Wicked rip in front of launch, it had calmed a bit when you came in Brad. A little earlier watched some serious swimmers, the swimcap speedo types, getting dragged out. They made in alright. The Cove was amazing. The lifeguard was on his ski, watching over the surfers in there. Amazing!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Corey

I just got back from checking out Huntington. It's breaking about 15' right now with 3 guys out there towing in on a sea-doo. I'm headed back down w/ camera. Went hooping here last night and was totally flat.. Crazy.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Crazy!

Hey Brad,
You didn't say anything about your landing. How big was the surf when you landed at the launch? Judging from one of Iceman's photos it looks like you made it in dry. You must have ridden at least one heart-thumping wave, no?
The waves were big both north and south of the launch by 10:00AM, according to the wave cam and Iceman's photos.
We gotta believe you were the only one crazy enough to go out there in waves predicted to be so big. We've always enjoyed your fish reports, and also your descriptions when landing safely in large waves, when others have failed to do so.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
madscientist

The landing was small as well, just a wicked rip current making it a bit irregular. Got a wee bit sideways but managed to correct it and surf till I hit the sand. Seriously, this one didn't even come close to a white knuckler. Pretty much from the buoy in the swell was gone and the water was just real dirty. I guess the canyon was funneling the energy to either side of the launch. Had my doubts when I was outside seeing consistent 12ft swells.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Johnp

That wave behind you looks a little whiteknuckler to me. :shock:
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Lit-up1

Brad,

I salute your psychosis :lol:
Friday AM for me-Anybody go out today?
Perhaps a confused 2 pointer will stumble onto my
hook.