Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
WahooUSMA

Wet Trans...

Bob,

I just finished my install of the wet transducer (copied yours). Unfortunately, with the Lowrance transducer, you need to use the ABS 4in male adapter vs. 3in adapter. This sucks because one; its quiet a bit larger, and secondly, the 3 in. cap is flexible while the 4in cap is rigid...(sounds kind of West Hollywood-ish).

My only issue is going to be removing the cap to check for water levels. I am afraid I might eventually separate the ABS adapter from the hull since the cap is so rigid and difficult to remove. Also, last question. Did you sanitize the GOOP in the interior of the adapter (seepage) or do you think it matters? I am guessing with all glue and adhesives, as they dry air bubbles appear......what do ya think???

Anyway, thanks for you expertise!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Bob,

I just finished my install of the wet transducer (copied yours). Unfortunately, with the Lowrance transducer, you need to use the ABS 4in male adapter vs. 3in adapter. This sucks because one; its quiet a bit larger, and secondly, the 3 in. cap is flexible while the 4in cap is rigid...(sounds kind of West Hollywood-ish).

My only issue is going to be removing the cap to check for water levels. I am afraid I might eventually separate the ABS adapter from the hull since the cap is so rigid and difficult to remove. Also, last question. Did you sanitize the GOOP in the interior of the adapter (seepage) or do you think it matters? I am guessing with all glue and adhesives, as they dry air bubbles appear......what do ya think???

Anyway, thanks for you expertise!
You could make a small inspection hole in the cap and seal it with a rubber plug. That would allow you to clamp down the cap and never have to worry about removing it.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
WahooUSMA

Thanks...I think I might give the inspection plug a shot.....Any recommendations on how to clean the GOOP of my transducer? What a royal pain in the ass......I am tempted to just go buy another one!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
robmandel

that is slicker than shit. I have the scupper transducer in my trident, but have two other kayaks where that would totally be perfect. and the portable part of it is way cool. yes, there is a better mousetrap
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Wahoo,

I don't think having a rigid or rubber cap makes much of a difference. Most of the rigid ones are threaded so you could end up with some fairly twisted cables unless you pre-twist the opposite way before you put the cap on. Just make sure the transponder is pointed the right direction when you have things tightened down.

I think a rubber cap with hose clamp is a better way to go. You cannot secure a non-threaded rigid cap with a hose clamp the way you can with rubber. You should be able to find a larger rubber cap somewhere.

The inspection plug is a good idea. I had a problem with my FF last time out and thought that the water may have run dry. In ended up having to loosen the hose clamp while on the water to remove the cap to check things out, (it was a PITA). I discovered that there was still plenty of water, however. After putting everything back together, the FF worked fine. Maybe it was just a glitch in the unit.

I think I will add a fill hole to my setup so I can more easily add water if it is needed at some point.

As for cleaning the goop off, I don't have any recommendations. It probably is not necessary to get it all off. You just need to carve away any areas that have bubbles. Is there a solvent for Goop?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
PescadorPete

If mounted inside a hull, why does it matter which way the transducer is pointed? If mounted through hull, I can see that it would in order to avoid cavitation (bubbles) while the boat is moving.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Wahoo,

I don't think having a rigid or rubber cap makes much of a difference. Most of the rigid ones are threaded so you could end up with some fairly twisted cables unless you pre-twist the opposite way before you put the cap on. Just make sure the transponder is pointed the right direction when you have things tightened down.

I think a rubber cap with hose clamp is a better way to go. You cannot secure a non-threaded rigid cap with a hose clamp the way you can with rubber. You should be able to find a larger rubber cap somewhere.

The inspection plug is a good idea. I had a problem with my FF last time out and thought that the water may have run dry. In ended up having to loosen the hose clamp while on the water to remove the cap to check things out, (it was a PITA). I discovered that there was still plenty of water, however. After putting everything back together, the FF worked fine. Maybe it was just a glitch in the unit.

I think I will add a fill hole to my setup so I can more easily add water if it is needed at some point.

As for cleaning the goop off, I don't have any recommendations. It probably is not necessary to get it all off. You just need to carve away any areas that have bubbles. Is there a solvent for Goop?

Bob
Bob, the 4in. is a rubber cap and does come with the hose clamp, but it is the thickness of the cap and rigidity that worries me. I bought the 3in before I realized my Lowrance transducer was larger than the Hummingbird. The 3in cap is much more flexible.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

PescadorePete,

The sonar transponder is directional. If you have the transponder pointing to the stern, your fish finder will show you things you have already passed so what shows up on your screen as you move forward would be what you would have seen if you moved backward had the transducer been aligned correctly.

If all you are using your FF for is to tell the depth of the water, this is probably not a big deal but if you are using it to actually locate fish or bait, you could be making decisions based on reading the data incorrectly.

Wahoo,

I don't think a thicker rubber cap is any big deal. It may make it harder to spread open the hole to get your plug through the rubber but if that is the case, just make the X cuts longer. You will be sealing these cuts with goop later anyway.

If you simply cannot spread the rubber wide enough, just drill a suitable sized hole in the rubber. Thread your plug through the hole and attach the transducer. Tape one side of the cap and fill the former hole with goop making sure you have some overlap on cap. When the goop has cured, go to the other side of the cap and spread a bit more goop there so the "plug you just made will not pop out.

The thicker rubber might actually make it easier to mount the transducer with screws since there will be more material for the screws to grab on to.

When you have completed your installation please post a photo for everyone to see.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote