Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Time to relocate :/ Fisherman's perspective on Real Estate

So my girlfriend and I are moving from our rented house in Bay Park and looking to purchase a home, unfortunately we are priced out of Bay Park. Not being native to San Diego we are looking at several neighborhoods. Anyone here live in or around Rolando, Sierra Mesa. How much of a pain is it to get to the bays/ LaJolla?? Can you fish in Lake Murray? Any real estate knowledge from a fishermans perspective is welcome! Thanks so much for you input!!

Cheers,
Bernie

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

No problem at all. I live near the 70th St entrance/exit on freeway 8.

I can get to Coronado/Tidelands/Ferry Landing area in 16 minutes early in the morning for sunrise fishing.

Grand Carribe Shoreline Park in Coronado Cays is under 30 minutes.

La Jolla Shores is about 25 minutes

Lake Murray is 5 minutes.
Santee Lakes is easy, and probably better than Lake Murray. Lake Murray used to be more fun.

Lake Murray charges a city fee for using the lake on top of all the other taxes and fees we pay. They used to plant larger trout plus the smaller DFG pan size, but I think they cut back and only use DFG now. Not sure about that, but for me it's not the nice place to fish it once was. It's not as popular for fishing in general. Seems everyone has gone elsewhere. There is a limit to what people are willing to pay for what they don't get in return.

Further, the police who wear a Hawaiian shirt over their police pants and gun belt, and carry a fishing pole to sneek up and bust people for revenue tickets or whatever other reason they do it just pisses me off. We already pay too much for all this stupid crap they think they have to do. Beyond that is juvenile harassment in the form of uniformed police officers. Lake Murray depresses me. Kind of like going to the DMV or what's left of Mardi Gras in the Gaslamp District. Lake Murray is deserted compared to better days. Deservedly so, IMHO.

Getting to Mission Beach/Pacific Beach varies because of the local traffic congestion there. Depends on the time.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-04-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
mclanea

I've lived in Rolando since 2008 and really dig it.

How hard is it to get to the bays? Mission Bay is 20ish minutes depending on where you're heading, 25-30 to Shelter Island, probably 40-45 minutes to La Jolla.

I pretty normally go to Mission Beach to surf fish or the Bahia Hotel and it's 20-25 minutes pretty consistently. La Jolla is a bit of a journey to be honest... not something I do regularly.

You can fish in Lake Murray, lots of people do. I just don't like it because the bay is so close... I've never quite figured out how to catch anything but blue gill over there plus the day use fee is lame.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Irishman

I live in La Mesa, it's 20 mins to LJ, centrally located to freeways etc. I'm kicking myself for not shopping Claremont (east la jolla). We've been here 15 year and a nice enough neighborhood. I commute to La Costa every day so it's a lot of driving. Factor your commute and family plans first, your not fishing every day. School districts are of utmost importance in your decision. Also buy to the max of your budget, we don't have a garage but do have a huge backyard, I'd take a two car garage over a huge yard, especially with water bills etc. Also factor in your handy man experience, small projects do add up on time and $$$. Could go on for hours on this subject, but I'd look at Claremont south of 52 and west of 805. Good luck!!!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I bought my house a year and a half ago. Love the area. Super quiet and tucked away, yet I can walk to Qualcomm. I live in Sierra Mesa off of mission village road. 15-20 min tops to LJ, mission bay, or SD bay.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
Goose1993

Clairemont is nice. Family neighborhoods and 10 minutes from la Jolla.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
DanaPT

Over the long-term... I really like the idea of owning the home you live in. Renting is okay, but hard to beat real estate as in investment... From tax benefits (mortgage int. and prop tax deductions) to the fact that it's one of the few asset classes indexed for inflation.

What I don't like right now are prices. BUT we are moving from a "seller market" to a more neutral market in the bigger picture. In the near term we are moving into the typical RE slow season over the next few months. we may see more listed homes, fewer buyers, and maybe even a better deal on something. I'd expect this to accelerate a bit when mortgage rates rise.

Buy the most you can afford BUT keep your monthly payment (PITIA) near market rent in the area you buy. Plan to stay put for at least 7 years while gainfully employed and it should work out fine.

Good luck on your search. I'm a mortgage broker and would be happy to help anyway I can.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote