Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
CalicoCody

Question about Lobster...

Hey guys,

Is it legal to hoop for lobster around Corona Del Mar?
If so, has anyone tried it with any luck? Seems like a bitchin' place to hoop off the yak. Nice and close, good habitat for the bugs. Done some fishing around there before for a couple calicos, but thought I heard something about a no invertebrate take zone there?

Thanks for the help! Sorry if its a stupid question, its my first season hooping

Good luck out there,

Cody
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
maui jim

I've got a ton of small rockcrab from there but not one short bug.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Gino

many reports that its very shitty hoopin. For some odd reason the Lobsters dont hang out much there. You might do better on the northside by the wedge but i havent heard much good in reports from there. Outside the kelp line in the 35 foot mark might be good.

its worth a try. but the reports ive gotten were the same as Maui Jim.. 1-2 shorts and sculpins eels and crap.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
cjthomas

I went hoopin' in the area last night and I got a big ol' skunk. The area could be great (in theory) except you are competing with tons of commercial lobster traps. It seems you can't go more than 100 feet before hitting the next trap. They are even up tight to the boilers, which is the advantage of the yak.

It is not completely void of life, but probably not worth it to compete with the traps.

I think my next trip out I'm going to try the wedge side of the break wall and possibly the canyon. Good ol' trial and error...
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
CalicoCody

That's good to know. Thanks guys! In theory CDM seems like a great spot for lobster. It's rocky, lots of kelp, right depth, ect. but now that you mention it I have seen a ton of commercial traps there when fishing. Think I'll try Pt. Fermin/White Point instead. I went there the other day for a short walk on the beach and found a ton of molted shells. Can't wait to try that area soon

Good luck out there,

Cody
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote