Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
dorf

Parade of Lights

Looking for info on viewing the Parade of Lights. The web site doesn't say anything about viewing from water level. Is it ok to be on the water in your kayak to view the parade. It sounds like the perfect vantage point for this event.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Exercise some caution. I was on the water for the parade of lights in Long Beach a couple years ago. There are lots of boats with lots of lights (obviously). Even a kayak showing the required navigation lights will easily get lost in the lights and reflections off the water. You need to have your head on a swivel after the parade. The boats are all over the place and they are more interested in checking out the other boats than looking for little, poorly-lit kayaks.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
1Flatfish
Wayne

Parade of Lights

I was thinking the same thing Dorf. And Dgax makes a good point. I was thinking of launching at Shelter Island earlier in the afternoon and fishing a bit before the parade. Then I would retreat to the relative safety of the moored boats around the launch. I agree that to cruise the open water during or after the parade might by risky. Maybe if there were enough people, we could all form a lighted kayak flotilla. Maybe there's safety in numbers. I don't know. My biggest concern is finding parking even several hours early around Shelter Island. Anybody else have any ideas?

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Watching the parade of lights from shore can be a bone chilling event if the weather is not right. Doing it from a kayak without the aid of a fire pit or the occasional cocktail might be really uncomfortable.

Check the weather first.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
dorf

Thanks for all of the input. I had thought about launching from Tidelands Park and hanging out near the moored boats. I have been working on a Christmas light set up to run off of the battery for my two kayaks. And of course we will be bundled up with a thermos full of hot chocolate for me and my family. I plan on myself and my youngest (8 y/o) on my kayak and my wife on hers with our 9 y/o. We plan to be at Tidelands around 4pm for some pre-parade fishing.
Of course safety is the top priority and everyone gets a chem. light attached to their PFD. I always have reflective tap on the yaks and standard lights for night as well as Christmas lights for this occasion. I wouldn’t mind having some Gluvine but I have to think of the drive home.
Thanks again for all of your input. I haven’t been on the water lately (I’ve moved and all of my spare time goes to the new house) and when the wife suggested we do this I jumped at the chance. Happy Holidays to you all.