Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

halibut rod

I'm getting a sealine 20 this Sunday thanks to a board member giving me the hookup of the century. Just want to get some opinions on what style rod ypu would pair it with for halibut and rockfish. There are alot of preferences when it comes to halibut rods. I recently switched from a medium action rod with alot of bend and went with a stiffer Fenwick on the advice of another guy but its not really working for me. I've lost a few good ones due to head shakes that I feel would have been fine if I had a little more flex to absorb it. Any is appreciated.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
I'm getting a sealine 20 this Sunday thanks to a board member giving me the hookup of the century. Just want to get some opinions on what style rod ypu would pair it with for halibut and rockfish. There are alot of preferences when it comes to halibut rods. I recently switched from a medium action rod with alot of bend and went with a stiffer Fenwick on the advice of another guy but its not really working for me. I've lost a few good ones due to head shakes that I feel would have been fine if I had a little more flex to absorb it. Any is appreciated.

depends where your fishing them. in the harbors and bays, an 8ft Med power, Med./fast action rod with 30lb braid and 15lb leader would be ideal. fishing deep and open water AND doubling as a rockfish rod... try an Ugly stik tiger light. Fast action Med power and use 30 or 40lb braid mainline and 25lb floro leader. the fast action and braid will let you see and feel everything thats going on.

if your bouncing rigs, i've noticed people like an 8ft Med/hvy power glass or composite rod with a more parabolic bend to it to keep constant pressure on the line and let the weight bounce up and down.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
tacmik

Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
kayakhunter

Best Halibut rod ever Calstar GX8.

I also built a rod from a Phenix fiberglass crankbait rod blank, that is sick.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I like the idea of the ugly stick because its in my price range.

Calstar makes sick rods and I've yet to get my hands on a pheonix. Both are a bit outside my immediate budget. Would that tiger light paired with the sealine work for throwing irons as well? I like to go out with 3 combos when I fish so I try and make each one as versatile as can be if I end up switching fishing gears mid day.

Anybody got a link for that Barbie rod?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
GregAndrew

IMO the most important considerations are a rod that will maintain a bend throughout the headshake while maintaining not too much pressure on the hook. You need a rod that can flex with the pull part of the headshake while already under pressure. But it should also be able to snap back quickly on the return part of the headshake (fast action). Too stiff a rod and they can pull the hook out on a headshake. Too light a rod or light the tip action, and they can create slack (using your sinker against you) and shake the hook free. A reel with a good drag system is probably just about as important.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
GregAndrew

If your budget is around $100 I would check out a Shimano Teramar, $170 GLoomis BBR series, a Phenix is gonna cost you at least $220.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
MVC

I have a Shimano Tallus 7 foot 14-25 that I would like to sell. They retail for $119 and I would sell it for $60.00. I have caught alot of Halibut and rock fish on this rod. I have gone to Seeker rods on both of my halibut set ups. The good thing about Shimano is if you break it just go to Shimano in Irvine and they will replace it no questions asked.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
If your budget is around $100 I would check out a Shimano Teramar, $170 GLoomis BBR series, a Phenix is gonna cost you at least $220.

^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

Personally, I think the Sealine 20 is a little heavy for halibut fishing, more so if you're going to hold the rod in your hands while fishing. Currently, I'm using Teramar rods and I love them for this type of fishing, they have super fast reaction and have the bend that's needed to control the head shakes that Greg mentioned.

When I started halibut fishing I was using gear that I knew was to heavy for that style of fishing but because that's all I had I didn't have a choice, I gradually worked my way down to lighter rods but what helped most was the fact that I switch to smaller reels. One thing to keep in mind when you're halibut fishing is that they will not run like a wsb or a yellow, they will simply fight their way to get back to the bottom where they feel safe, if they make a run they won't spool you.

Anyway, here's what I use.

Reel:Shimano Cardiff 400A
Rod: Teramar
TMC-X76MH
Power: Med Heavy
Action: Extra Fast

Shimano Castaic CA-200...this is a bass reel but it works great for hali's
TMC-X76M
Power: Medium
Action: Super Fast

Whatever you use....good luck!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for all if your input and experience guys. On the reel, I'm currently using a shimano Calcutta 250 and its great for halibut. The only reason for the switch was because I wanted to double this setup as a rockfish setup and the line capacity on the Calcutta sucks.I've never been fatigued from holding my rod all day but you guys have given me some things to consider. I have a medium fast action Fenwick but its only 6"6'. My other Fenwick is 7"6' but fast action and the one I'm currently using that is a bit stiff for my . Maybe I'll try the shorter rod for now till I can put some more cash together. The terimar sounds like its got a good following and I love shimano.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for all if your input and experience guys. On the reel, I'm currently using a shimano Calcutta 250 and its great for halibut. The only reason for the switch was because I wanted to double this setup as a rockfish setup and the line capacity on the Calcutta sucks.I've never been fatigued from holding my rod all day but you guys have given me some things to consider. I have a medium fast action Fenwick but its only 6"6'. My other Fenwick is 7"6' but fast action and the one I'm currently using that is a bit stiff for my . Maybe I'll try the shorter rod for now till I can put some more cash together. The terimar sounds like its got a good following and I love shimano.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

I like the teramars too, I fish a 7'6" m. Also consider the Graftech inshore at turners, great rods that can handle I have a 8 ft M but would be a H in most other brands, you might want to look at the Light power. Guys at turners have pulled in yt and school size tuna on the M.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
kayakhunter

Sent you a PM William.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Got it Brian.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
jUST MY .02 but I prefer the Truline LM8, Calstar 270-8, & same in the Seeker.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote