Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Sherm

Evening tidelands 4-6-09

Grabbed the yak after work and headed down to Tidelands for some light tackle action. I hadn't been to Tidelands for a while and was looking forward to some bass action. Hitthe water about 5pm and was quickly out to where I wanted to fish. The wind was blowing about 10mph and the tide was rippin in. Made for some quick drifts.

The first 20 mins or so I spent looking for fish and figuring out the drift. Finally found some productive areas and the spotties were chewing. started getting bit on a regular basis. Spoties were coming over the rail for a quick release on a regular basis.

I met a guy on the water named Brian (I think) supply officer in the Navy. Very nice guy and a newbie to the yak thing. He had just caught his first fish from the yak under the bridge. We discussed techniques and such ands fished the area for and hour or so.

The new guy had to leave and paddled close to one of the sail boats in the mooring area. That is when I remember why I hadn't been to tidelands for a while. There are a couple crazy's living on those boats that don't hink much of guys who fish that area. Always screaming to stay away from their boat and such. I remember last year when one of them tried to run down a yaker with his skiff. The guy on the boat was done with the new guy and i was able to get back to some quiet time on the water.

Finished a good stoagie (damn they are getting expensive with the new tax) and caught spotties until the tide slacked. The fishing slowed and I called it an evening around 6:30.

Nice sunset and view of the city as I drove home across the bridge.

fish count:

18 Spotties (mostly around 11 to 15 inch)
2 Turdrollers (dinks)
1 Flattie (pop tart)

All C&R

the pic of the sail boat is the guy with the attitude about coming anywhere near his boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Geoffkoop

That is a nice area. Next time throw an iron at him
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
aftahour

great pics...
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
whb1957
Junior

Jerk with the yak problem

Let me guess, the jerk with the yak problem was in the boat with the blue inflatable dingy..the one in your last picture? If so, I've had a few problems with that guy. He get's ticked if you just fish within about 20 feet of his boat.
whb1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

all you need is a late night, a hobie, a knife (to cut the dingy loose), a cordless drill and a 3" hole saw....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
kansas
Junior

Greetings Gents...I am the new guy. Wow, had a great late afternoon and evening. Caught quite a few spotties on the south side of bridge piling '9'...saw another yakker fishing the East side of the mooring area so thought I would go pick his brain a little. Starting to learn quite a bit and thought I should start to head in. Thats when the "occupant" of the Reggea Wave decided to go absolutely psycho on me. If I remember right it is the furthest East and second from the bridge Catamaran looking sail boat with a Cujo looking dog for a partner. He had been watching us for quite sometime before he decided to pick a fight. Actually calling me "tough guy" to try and provoke me. I recommend staying clear. I have a few emails in to the owners of the mooring and the Harbor police to see if I can track down the rules and regulations of the mooring. Does anyone know if we are able to go in and out of there?

Anyway, great evening aside from that altercation.

Sherm, I caught three more on a drift along the wall north of the beach.

Brett
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas View Post
Does anyone know if we are able to go in and out of there?
Yes. It is completely within your rights to be in there as long as you do not trespass or tie to any of the moored vessels, baring an emergency. That guy was just being a douche.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
prowlerdude

If its a trimaran third row in from the bridge count me in too. Dude gave me the stink-eye for about 20 minutes throwing his arms in the air and stuff about three months ago. Sounds like he may be escalating. See what happens when the "sea-hag" crosses her legs....
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Spyder

Nice afternoon wingman, way to go.

Can't believe that crazy guy is still there and causing problems. What a kook. Let's go mess with him next week ........
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
whb1957
Junior

Jerk in the bay

The same guy came out and started yelling at me and my son a few months ago because we drifted by his boat about 20 feet away which made his dog start barking at us. When I failed to respond to his constant yelling, dropping F-bombs at us and ignored him he got in his blue dingy, fired up the motor and came after us. He then started ramming his dingy into my yak yelling at us about how would we like it if someone was fishing in our front yard everyday. He finally left when my son asked him if he's living on a boat because his wife got the house during the divorce. LOL. The guy needs professional help. I've seen him in the parking lot near his piece of crap blue Toyota 4 runner from time to time also. He leaves the windows down and the doors unlocked on his truck 24/7...even when it's been rather wet outside. I can't tell you how tempted I've been to drop a dead fish inside that truck.
whb1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
dorf

Sounds like he is trying to keep a tight grip on his honey hole. I've actually caught a couple of nice halibuts in the mooring area.

Suggestion for the next MBF: Tidelands.

For your protection:Keep a camera that shoots video handy in case this guy comes after you. No one should have to put up with this kind of abuse.

Be safe.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
prowlerdude

I agree with the photo idea. He probably will snap even further if he is ramming yaks with his dingy. With the dingy being motorized and a yak pretty much defenseless, its sounds like a good "ADW" case.
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
MalibuJohnny

Ramming

Quote:
Originally Posted by whb1957 View Post
The same guy came out and started yelling at me and my son a few months ago because we drifted by his boat about 20 feet away which made his dog start barking at us. When I failed to respond to his constant yelling, dropping F-bombs at us and ignored him he got in his blue dingy, fired up the motor and came after us. He then started ramming his dingy into my yak yelling at us about how would we like it if someone was fishing in our front yard everyday. He finally left when my son asked him if he's living on a boat because his wife got the house during the divorce. LOL. The guy needs professional help. I've seen him in the parking lot near his piece of crap blue Toyota 4 runner from time to time also. He leaves the windows down and the doors unlocked on his truck 24/7...even when it's been rather wet outside. I can't tell you how tempted I've been to drop a dead fish inside that truck.
I think that is assualt with intent to do harm...

Video + Picture + Sheriff = no more A ol
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
Geoffkoop

You Diegans should have a fishing contest right near his boat for a few hours. Start time of sunrise?
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Sherm

I actually noticed the engine was missing from the dingy (probably had to pawn it) so I wasn't to worried about him this time. I just can't understand why he thinks he owns the water around his boat. I don't own the street infront of my house.

I would stay away from him...but about 40 yards out from his boat is a sweet spot when the conditions are right. He's just a kook.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Sherm

Quote:
Greetings Gents...I am the new guy. Wow, had a great late afternoon and evening. Caught quite a few spotties on the south side of bridge piling '9'...saw another yakker fishing the East side of the mooring area so thought I would go pick his brain a little. Starting to learn quite a bit and thought I should start to head in. Thats when the "occupant" of the Reggea Wave decided to go absolutely psycho on me. If I remember right it is the furthest East and second from the bridge Catamaran looking sail boat with a Cujo looking dog for a partner. He had been watching us for quite sometime before he decided to pick a fight. Actually calling me "tough guy" to try and provoke me. I recommend staying clear. I have a few emails in to the owners of the mooring and the Harbor police to see if I can track down the rules and regulations of the mooring. Does anyone know if we are able to go in and out of there?

Anyway, great evening aside from that altercation.

Sherm, I caught three more on a drift along the wall north of the beach.

Brett
Sorry about getting the name wrong Brett. At my age I'm glad I remembered it started with a "B". NIce fishing with you and sorry I forgot to warn you about the guy in the trimaran.

Last edited by Sherm; 04-08-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
kansas
Junior

Sherm, no problem I had forgotten your name as well. Hope we get to fish together again...next time I will have one of those fine smelling cigars too.

OK, so the gouge directly from the port/harbor police is that we are NOT breaking any rules by going in and out of these mooring areas. We can also fish anywhere in there that we like. That water is public property. We just cannot come into contact with any of the vessels moored or their mooring balls...think someone already said this but just wanted to reiterate.

A good number to save into your cell phone would be to the port/harbor police dispatch...619-686-6272...for when we have our annual "under the reggea wave" halibut tournament.

Oh, they have heard ALOT about this same dude and encourage anyone that gets physically harassed to file a complaint.

Take care folks,
Brett
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Sherm

Quote:
Sherm, no problem I had forgotten your name as well. Hope we get to fish together again...next time I will have one of those fine smelling cigars too.

OK, so the gouge directly from the port/harbor police is that we are NOT breaking any rules by going in and out of these mooring areas. We can also fish anywhere in there that we like. That water is public property. We just cannot come into contact with any of the vessels moored or their mooring balls...think someone already said this but just wanted to reiterate.

A good number to save into your cell phone would be to the port/harbor police dispatch...619-686-6272...for when we have our annual "under the reggea wave" halibut tournament.

Oh, they have heard ALOT about this same dude and encourage anyone that gets physically harassed to file a complaint.

Take care folks,
Brett
We'll get to fish again soon. Shoot me a PM when you are ready to go again.

Wow...the harbor police have heard of this guy before.....imagine that. See you on the water Brett.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
dorf

Quote:
Thanks Brett.
Number saved.

I will be out there as soon as Spring Soccer season cools down. Tidelands has become my number one place to fish in SD harbour and I can't wait to get back out there.