Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
roadx

hobie outback owners

how many outback owner are here?

went and tested the revolution and outback, i like a little of each. outback turns tighter but is slower( the revo i tried had turbo fins on so not a true comparison) but im sure the extra width of the outback makes a difference in speed and stability. also the revo would seem to be the wetter yak.
(stayed bone dry on both), the driest kayaks i have tested /owned.

i will be doing some ocean fishing off of LJ and doing alot of mission bay fishing and peddling.

now that you have used your outback in the ocean do you regret getting this over the revo? does the outback handle well in the chop and surf?

im leaning towards the outback, more perceived space and just feels better.

im torn!! go with the gut and get the slower outback???

im spoiled peddling so im going with a hobie, just not sure which one????

Last edited by roadx; 05-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
deepdvr

I have a revo and an outback. I will only fish LJ on the revo. The outback is my choice for skinny water or goofing around with my family. Either way you will be fine. It really becomes a speed/tracking vs. stability/storage debate. If I couldn't have both, I'd have a revo first.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
FishFeeder
Junior

which hobie?

OK, you've compared them for yourself, so I'm not sure I can add a lot. I have an Outback, and I got it as my first fishing kayak. a perfect choice because it is stable as ^*() and spacious. it does not paddle well, though, and it would not be my choice for La Jolla, where surf launch and distances favor Revo. I have been out in ocean swell alongside a Revo, I'd estimate the Revo paddler and I were around the same weight (180 or so). I stayed bone dry, while he took several over the bow and was wet up past his knees. same water, same load roughly, same pace, and the Outback was drier, but also probably noisier if that bothers you. personally, staying dry is not a high priority to me (because I can dress for that, and I don't expect to stay dry while fishing in a kayak anyway...). You mentioned 'faster': I don't view the speed difference as being very important because the OUtback does pretty well, I don't tire over fairly long distances while peddling it. With turbo fins on the outback, it hauls just fine IMHO. To me, the key factor is where you will use it: if you'll be launching or landing through surf--> Revo, no question. Bays or inland waters, Outback is better to me: I like having the extra accessible working space, it's easier on casual users / borrowers, and I'd only favor Revo if you expect to cover long distances, or maybe for the ability to paddle better, which I do sometimes just for fun and exercise in the Outback. I did not spend much time paddling the Revo (just a test run when I bought the Outback), but I'll wager it tracks a lot better when paddled.

MikeS
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
ericko

I also was in your same shoes what to get I tested both and felt that the outback was just the better choice for me, i dont see myself fishing LJ that much cause of my location HB. I've taken my outback out to Dana, New Port,and some lakes and love it .I also have an X-FACTOR and anything is faster than that .the stability in my x-factor and outback is the one thing i like most about both of my yaks,the revo was not as stable when i tested it.....

dont no if this helps but good luck
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Three3Divine
Junior

>>

Revo all the way, faster, easier threw surf, Not as much hull slap and yeah revo all the way bud! if you going to fish la jolla but if your looking for a lot of weight capacity then maybe the outback is your choice and if you want hoop net then the outback but my choice is the Revo!
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Three3Divine summed it up well.

Outback is VERY stable & dry. But is a tank PADDLING thru surf launches/landings.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
roadx

thanks for the opinions, it is appreciated. is the outback that bad launching/landing through the surf?

with all the revo lovers, it's not making this easier LOL

Quote:
It really becomes a speed/tracking vs. stability/storage debate
Quote:
dont no if this helps but good luck
yes it does and thanks!
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

no real problem LAUNCHING. it is slow & bulky, but just point the nose straight into the waves and forge ahead. Not much problem with flipping over here for me.

but for me, LANDING is always an adventure, in anything bigger than 2.5 - 3 ft waves.

to land in surf (dry & safe & upright), you need to time the waves, and follow one in right behind it, and then paddle hard & fast, to stay ahead of next wave coming up your rear.

this is near impossible for me in my Outback. i pedal 99% of the time I'm on the water, and thus I am a terrible paddler anyways. but my deficiency really shows up in the surf zone.

When surf landing, I seldom outrun the trailing wave, and I almost always get "caught" by the trailing wave, when I'm about half way in. If the waves are over 2-3 ft, I usually end up riding the wave in sideways, leaning HARD into wave to prevent flipping, all the way to the beach.

I haven't flipped since 2004, the first year I started yakking. But I frequently come close, on many landings. Definitely gets the adrenaline going for me everytime the waves are 3 ft plus.

I love everything about my Outback, except using it in surf landings.

If you are physically strong in upper body & a good paddler (which I am not), you will likely be fine in the surf landings. Otherwise, if you fish A LOT in ocean (surf launch/land) the Revo is possibly the better option.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 05-31-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Billy V

Revolution all the way.

- Larger front hatch with easy access.
- Faster than the outback, tracks better, paddles much better, Not affected by wind like the outback.
- Easier to deal with a big fish hook-up. You can hang your legs over the sides for extra stability, comfort, additional drag, and directional control.
- Much easier surf launch and landings.
- Easier to lift and load overhead on truck racks. It has perfect balance from the grab handles - just snatch it up from the ground and it will balance directly overhead with ease. (the Adventure is the same way, but not the outback.)
- A Revo with the $22 Sailing Rudder will turn on a dime.
- Turbo Finns are a must have on either kayak - it makes all of them more efficient.

Don't be fooled into thinking the outback has a large margin of stability, or buoyancy over the Revolution, or that it is a dryer boat.
-When the wind is up the outback gets affected much more. It feels like a top, and is more difficult to hold a course.
The Revo slices through.

The fact is that ALL Hobies are very stable.
Remember.... when those finns are in the downward position you effectively have a deep keel in the water like a sailboat, the rudder also adds stability....and if you add the huge sailing rudder its overkill.
Its difficult to flip over a Revo, I have tried a few times.

Take a close look before you buy -

I fished Mission Bay Yesterday, and Today on the Revo. I must have covered 15 miles of coastline effortlessly.
--I also want to know why OEX was not BBQing Burgers Saturday.

Last edited by Billy V; 05-31-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

As usual, Billy V kind of sums things up about as well as anyone can. I have a Revo and am a very happy camper. Have I dumped on landings... Yep. But I think my friends with Outbacks have dumped more often.

From my prospective, it all comes down to where you plan to use the kayak. If you plan to fish in the ocean and will have surf launches and landings, my recommendation is Revo, without hesitation.

If you plan to fish the bay, harbor, lakes or rivers, the Outback may be a better choice. It is as simple as that.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
dorf

I have an ‘07 Outback. I got it because it was ready to fish. I was pleasantly surprised on how fast it moved. The stability is great; I am 6’3” 215 lbs and have had my 6 and 7 y/o boys on it at the same time. Although speed is not a concern of mine I have raced my friend (5’8” 250lbs) on my other Outback and with his 7 y/o son on the bow where we were each able to create sizable wakes. I plow through the surf with relative ease at La Jolla and landing is okay. Having my boys on, I do not go to La Jolla as that extra weight can get tiring and landing problematic. The 3 of us have not had any problems fishing in the bays. Just to test it out I have had my 2 boys, my wif and myself on at the same time. It is cramped but we were able to tool around Tidelands for a little while before it got too uncomfortable.

I have not been on the Revo, so I cannot comment there but I am very happy with my Outback.

I don’t know if Hobie has updated their instructional/promotional video though. If they have not I recommend disregarding the part where they say to remove the drive while landing and secure it with the bungee cord. It will not hold if you get rolled and that is a $300.00 plus mistake.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
roadx

i picked up a used outback from fastlane (demo used on the Islander Charters) and just wanted to thank everyone for their input and brag a little .

i felt the outback just fits me better,

so when you revo guys go speeding past me at LJ, just laugh and say i told ya so, and when you see my head bounce off the beach.... call 911 then... laugh and tell me i told you so

if anyone needs a used hobie outback or livebait well there was some available yesterday.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Billy V

You're going to love the boat either way....
Its a Hobie - fishing off a peddle kayak is just easier.

Now go land that Monster Halibut and lay him/her flat on top of the concave bow hatch.
-See there is a strong point us Revo guys don't have.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote