Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Hobie has done a great job on their tank engineering and component choices in my opinion.

My Hobie Tank : $250
Works every time out : Priceless

A postage stamp piece of screen carefully gooped onto the water intake work great to foil the eel grass. Pointing the intake backwards removes the simple pedal self-priming feature.

I built these by hand for years before I gave Hobie input to their new livewell system, and I could never get close to the solidness of their final product ...
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
Billy V

I did buy the
tank and have used it 5 times since.

There are subtle differences from the Thresher tank. IMO each have their strong and weak points.
The Good.
Its as durable and simple as a Hammer!
My Thresher run on a 6V 12AMP battery was completely silent.
It could support 10 Mack during a fishing day without any problem (as you will be down to around 7 in no time anyway if you change out baits for the liveliest model).
When peddling you did not feel the tank weight behind you, and there was no sloshing that could cause a surging feeling with forward movement.
The pump never clogged, and could be easily placed back on board for a surf landing.
Fits inside a Milk Crate, perhaps the best benefit of all. You can take the entire General Store with you, and it fits neatly inside the crate.
You can install 4 very solid rod holders with PVC.

The Bad.
The over board pump does create some drag, and you will feel a slight pull to that side.
Some thresher tanks have the discharge slit on the same side as the intake, but this can be easily changed if you want.
(an elbow with clear plastic tube will route the water flow to the bottom of the tank.)
No, you can not keep a live Calico inside the tank.

The Hobie tank.

The Good
Fits nicely in the Hobie well, and has nice fit and finish, the connectors inside the tank look sealed well.
Has a lid! This does keep the bait calmer.
It has a very large capacity, and the water level is adjustable.
It will support 25 Greenbacks without a problem. (I tested this)
The water oxygen lever seems better because the pump is located on the bottom of the tank. The bait stays lively.

The Bad.
Its noisy, you hear the pump, and also hear the water draining out.
My intake tube has clogged every time I have used the tank, in spite of having used a coarse screen inside of the pick-up tube.
(this was due to small slime particles clogging up against the screen, not grass.)
You sometimes have to unhook the tank restraints, lift the tank (filled with water and bait), and remove the Pick-Up Tube to back flush to clear the debris.
The tip-off is when you do not hear the sucking sound the drain makes anymore, then you know somethings wrong and must be cleared. So there is a warning, and a fix, so to speak.
-You can do it if you are agile and careful. I have done it with a full bait tank and (3) rods in the rod holders. (You need to face backward in the seat, no problem for me.)
When the tank is reasonably full you feel the slosh and surge with forward motion. 7 or more gallons of water is heavy, and the tank is long, and big, so the water moves fore and aft with powerful peddle strokes. You can change this with a modification in your peddle stroke. A smoother longer stroke helps.
You should remove the pick up tube before surf landing (I do) even though it only hangs down 1". The Beach will tear it up.

My decision was to buy both, and I will continue to use both.
There is not one clear Best Tank in my opinion.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
mrJB

Bait Tank Options

The reason the inlet is installed high on the bait tank is that if the pump fails or dies, the bait tank will not drain itself empty. Best use a separate drain plug or valve low on the tank to dump your water for the long paddle back. For a decent circulation, attach a 90-degree elbow inside the tank intake and point it towards the bottom of the tank.
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
Hypoxic1

I love my hobie tank, however its not the most secure tank in the world with only 2 straps. I would recommend you add a few straps to the back of the tank so if you do get hit by a wave from behind your gear will remain secure. Also, on the little switch knob, unscrew the knob and put some loctite, or teflon tape ton the threads. The knob tends to spin off when you least expect it as they didnt put anything on there to bind it to the threads.
CHris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #25
blackcloud9
Kayaker

BillyV -

Sounds like with your Hobie tank you would have to install the intake on the water and then remove the tubing before landing? Holy cow! I would be frustrated and screaming if I had to deal with that, ever....

You could trim the Hobie intake tube a little (so its flush with hull) and you can launch and land without ever messing with it at all. At just the right length, it will self-prime while pedalling, yet still can be beached with no problem. I have a postage-stamp sized, fine (window) screen gooped on the intake hole, and honestly, have never had a clog.

I have also customized the straps and installed 45 degree PVC trolling rod holders using a 90 degree PVC elbow and a few huge zip ties (Home Depot). See below, this is the main thing that they left out of my original requirements for a La Jolla perfect tank ...

Larry

Last edited by blackcloud9; 09-21-2009 at 08:27 PM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #26
Billy V

I'm going to shorten the intake tube. It might pick up less debris.

I will also try the plastic tube to back flush the pump if needed.

Last edited by Billy V; 09-22-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #27
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
BillyV -

Sounds like with your Hobie tank you would have to install the intake on the water and then remove the tubing before landing? Holy cow! I would be frustrated and screaming if I had to deal with that, ever....

You could trim the Hobie intake tube a little (so its flush with hull) and you can launch and land without ever messing with it at all. At just the right length, it will self-prime while pedalling, yet still can be beached with no problem. I have a postage-stamp sized, fine (window) screen gooped on the intake hole, and honestly, have never had a clog.

I have also customized the straps and installed 45 degree PVC trolling rod holders using a 90 degree PVC elbow and a few huge zip ties (Home Depot). See below, this is the main thing that they left out of my original requirements for a La Jolla perfect tank ...

Larry

wow! nice dont call me a biter when u see me in lj with those angle troller holders except ill use black zip ties cause im christopher lowell like that
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote