Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
pbb

Rod suggestions?

What specs do folks suggest for a rod for YT/WSB/Halibut/rockfish/Lingcod?

(Yes, I just listed a whole bunch of different fish there, but if you could only have one rod to target any of those).

Length? Line weight? Action?

I would be using it both from the kayak and occasionally at Las Islas Coronados from friends' small boats.

Currently my heaviest rod has action that is too light and I usually borrow a buddy's when I am fishing outside of the bays.

Any thoughts on the Penn Mariner rods? They seem reasonably priced. I'm looking for something solid that will do the work. I don't need to have the fanciest (most expensive) rod on the block.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Look into the uglystick tigers. They are reasonably priced and have a variety of sizes. I go by feel more then line rating since most rods are rated for mono and I use mostly braid. Tug on the rod tip and look for where the bend is. Look for one that most of the bend is at the end, that has sturdy backbone to wrench on fish and with a sensitive tip. You want that so you can detect bites and for halibut head shakes so they don't throw the hook. With that said there is no one tool for any job.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21

Last edited by William Novotny; 03-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
tacmik

What he said. Ugly stick, inexpensive, but good.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Dannowar

I don't think I own two of the same rods

Talk to fishaholic, he'll set you up beautifully
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Fishwhisperer619

Wait for fred hall and try to find these generics called "californian" they are like $60 I have had mine for a while now and its treated me very well for halibut, yellowtail, some 30# yellowfin, and calicos. I have an 8ft 15-40# rating rod. Reel is a trinidad 16N with spectra and a leader
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
FISH11

Ugly Stick Tiger good rod for a low price. Sports Chalet carries them in medium light, medium and medium heavy. They are 7' and sell for $64.99. They are way better than anything else unless your ready to spend twice as much or more.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Spend the money and buy a decent rod if you can. You don't have to drop $500+ but something $150-$350 with a lifetime warranty. Buy "Made in USA" if possible of course. I've been done buying cheap-ass rods for a long time. Someone point this man to the Calstar isle or something.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
gunghosd
Let's Do This!

I agree with AlanW, I hate nothing more than cheap gear or gear prone to breaking while fishing. I am not saying all inexpensive gear is cheap or junk, I am just saying "personally" I love experiencing gear that kicks ass at its intended use. IE Seeker, Calstar, Phenix etc.

Also Lifetime warranties are nice, as well as awesome service that you will most likely not experience with less expensive options if you should need it.

I chat with a lot of kayak guys and there is a lot of talk of heavy abuse on gear while yakking....I dont think kayak fishing is any harder on gear than a sport or some private boats. Just be mindful as you transport/use, and maintain your gear and quality stuff lasts a lifetime, that way your not throwing good money away when you treat yourself to good gear.

So in conclusion, Seeker Black Steel G670 7' is one of my fav's for your stated needs, no one rod does everything perfectly but you learn what "you" like for a certain application and lean towards that, me....I like a moderate to fast tip and a light graphite rod so i can feel everything and I don't feel like I have a lead pipe for a rod. All this is personal preference and changes like the wind direction at times over the years, I am no expert, I just know what I like.

As for a jig stick, a 9' stick that loads well will cast far and summon surface fish well. I suggest you go to a tackle shop and pull on 10-15 different rods at different lengths and see what they feel like to you!

but just so people don't start yelling at me.....YES you can catch a fish on anything, even simply line wrapped around a plastic bottle with a hook on the end, but life is too short not to have sweet gear

Good Luck to you!!!!!

Last edited by gunghosd; 03-20-2014 at 02:05 AM.
gunghosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
dpunch
Junior

GraphTechs Rods, for the price cannot beat'em. Shimano Torium Series reels, again for the price, cannot beat them. Shimano Cardiff, round bait casters get the job done with proper maintenance for light weight set-ups. Avet carries a nice selection of reels for good value to and repairs are done local.

Higher end, Cal Star, Phoenix, GLoomis (Old Models) rods….
High End Reels, Shimano Calcuttas, Trinadads

Different line classes have different applications for different species. Then you throw in whether your want to use braided line or not. One size your can fit all, but its ideal to have a few different set ups.
dpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
FISH11

Nothing wrong with getting the best gear you can, but that's the point. Not everyone has a budget where they can buy a $300 or more rod and reel that cost hundreds even into thousands. It's like in golf it's not the expensive club but the golfers ability. Think, you'll need several different set-ups for the different uses. Sometimes you have to compromise to get as much as needed and upgrade later. I agree, try to spend as much as you can afford on the one set-up that you'll use the most. Some times BWE member have some good deals on this site.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Fishwhisperer619

Fred hall San Diego is right around the corner. Be sure to check out all their stuff. Turners usually has a pretty wide selection. Anglers choice too.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Look into the uglystick tigers. They are reasonably priced and have a variety of sizes. I go by feel more then line rating since most rods are rated for mono and I use mostly braid. Tug on the rod tip and look for where the bend is. Look for one that most of the bend is at the end, that has sturdy backbone to wrench on fish and with a sensitive tip. You want that so you can detect bites and for halibut head shakes so they don't throw the hook. With that said there is no one tool for any job.

I have an ugly that I bought back in 2003, it still catches the big ones.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I have an ugly that I bought back in 2003, it still catches the big ones.
Yeah but my calstars catch'em with style
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
Hunters Pa

Get three decent setups tailored to different uses.

You can use a Swiss Army knife to do a lot of things, but you can do them a lot better with a semi-decent screwdriver, fork and hammer.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
pbb

Thanks for everybody's feedback.

I realized that what I felt was lacking was a heavier pole for jigging.

Being cheap and prone to buy old used but solid stuff, and given what eveyone said in praise of Calstar, My research turned up info that pre-Penn Sabre/California Tackle rods were made by Leon Todd before he founded Calstar.

So I just bought used a 50lb class Sabre GS6550 rod with a Daiwa 350H reel at a local pawn shop for $80. Might be a bit too stiff, but I'll give it a try.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote