Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
DanaPT

dana point

ANY dana point regulars ever launch off the beaten path?

I need some excitement in my fishing life. So I've been looking for other local spots to launch and fish. I've been eyeing the County parking lot at the end of Pico in San clemente, I believe the street is Avenida Estacion. Park, pay, launch and there looks to be some interesting terrain north and south of the pier. I started here BUT there was surf. The combo of shore-break, + the incoming white water, + the outside breakers = too "american ninja" for me at 5:30 am. I need more training.

Anyhow launched a couple of miles north, at the parking lot from Palisades Drive. Easy easy, gate opens at 6, park/pay, clear 1 wave and that's that.

IT was a good day. Fish finder battery on the fritz so no readings on water or depth. Estimated 65 and 20-25ft of water. Rigged an old DeWalt Drill Battery to power the bait tank (and 1 battery powered the tank for almost two hours, manually turning on/off to keep the bait alive).

Ended the day with 2 of the biggest Calicos I've caught so far. I tried for a pic but those friggen things have big teeth and are strong. I tried putting my thumb in the mouth for a photo and ouch. sawed off my skin topside of my thumb, I decided not to handle. I managed a crappy photo (net opening from side to side is 16 inches on my lap). The second was a bigger one and I regret now not taking a picture of it. (But I think I know what house they are hanging in front of!) Both on the whole dead squid and released for you to catch another day.

Totals 3 small smelt for bait, 5 calico. 2 sand bass and a first for me. . . and the Yellow Fin Croaker.

So now i've been bit again. I'm scouting google earth and visiting future launch sites. Any suggestions feel free to PM, it's the kind thing to do.

Happy hunting where-ever you launch.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Nice job. I've launched there quite a few times. The shore break can be nasty on the wrong swell. But, at least you're in the clear pretty quick. The launch at North Beach leads to lots of good fishing areas. Check out West Reef (just north of the pier), it sticks out at low tide.